[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Just snapped a MF valve cover bolt, any ideas?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Just snapped a MF valve cover bolt, any ideas?

Just snapped a MF valve cover bolt, any ideas?

Postby PlateLunch » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Yeah, like I said. I didn't think I was even close to snapping it but it just popped, on the back of the rear cover too. Sweet. Any body had this happen with some great ideas? I've done the research and it seems like an easy out is the trick, since i can't slot it or weld it, but maybe some one has some tricks up there sleeve. Thanks guys!
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Just snapped a MF valve cover bolt, any ideas?

Postby dinoxor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 pm

LMAO I did it too by over torquing it!
and I was freaking out HARDCORE
luckily mine was in the front

go to the dealership and buy more. I bought 3 just in case and they were about 1.75 each
taking out the remainder of the bolt was fairly easy since the second half of the screw was sticking out.
so I used a needle nose pliers and turned it until the rest of the screw came out
it took about 10 minutes

just be careful when torquing it
the book states 69 INCH- pound so be cautious when adjusting your wrench to the right settings with the right units

not sure what your question is but hope this helps!
GOOD LUCK!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PlateLunch » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Done and done. I think sleeping on it was a good idea; woke up, got some bolts, figured out i could do the same thing with the needle nose...much easier than I thought. Thanks for the input!
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Let me guess, was it the bolt on the rear valve cover closest to the coolant reservoir? One of the few stupid engineering mistakes Toyota made... If its tight enough to seal the gasket, the bolt snaps. Problem is the threads bottom out too soon. If you put another washer on the bolt you can tighten it way more without it snapping. That's what I did.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PlateLunch » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:22 am

Yup, not the corner but one off from it. Thankfully I was able to pull it thruough, but the next time I do the VC gaskets I'm just going to buy new bolts and torque to hand tight. It isn't like there is a bunch of pressure or vibration there, so that should be enough. :)
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5