[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Low on Oil
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Low on Oil

Low on Oil

Postby Billdo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Hey guys, I've run into a bit of an issue. I've noticed over the last few weeks I am low on oil. I've had to add a quart twice in 3 weeks. I drive about 75 to 100 miles a say. Never had an issue before. I looked around real quick and dont see any leaks or oil soaked spots anywhere. I'm in need of a full oil change and will get one this weej. Any ideas as to where the leak is or if its just an older engine (02, 2.4 with 127k) burning a bit of oil. Also threw in a bottle of Bars leak stop to see if that helps. Anyone use that before? Results? Thanks in advance to your help.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Low on Oil

Postby SteveSolara » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 pm

your valve gasket I believe is leaking, thats a common thing on our solaras, but not too sure on the 2.4. But check the back valve gasket and see if there is smoke or leaks in that area
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Billdo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:16 pm

The valve cover gasket?
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GzNutz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Two quarts in three weeks would be leaving pretty large puddles where ever parked if thats a leaky valve cover gasket. Do you notice any blue smoke when starting up your lara after its been sitting for a while?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Billdo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:02 am

Thats the thing, there is basically nothing. I am going to get an oil change either today or tomorrow and see if they notice anything. It mightve just been a bad oil change the last time, perhaps not adding enough. There is a bit of build up around the valve cover but its not 2 quarts worth in a short amount of time. Ive also religiously been looking for oil marks on the ground since I started driving and there are none. Undercarriage seems relatively oil free, nothing of anything going on underneath either.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:22 am

mine was leaking onto the exhaust manifold, never had puddles, but i have a 1MZ
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Coolant is the normal red it should be. No puddles or pooling. I think its a slight leak from the front of the valve cover gasket. The front corners have some oil build up. factor that in with what I'm assuming a crappy oil change and that's that I think. Is changing the gasket a job for someone who is less than mechanically inclines doable? If not, what should it run me at a shop?
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Billdo wrote:Coolant is the normal red it should be. No puddles or pooling. I think its a slight leak from the front of the valve cover gasket. The front corners have some oil build up. factor that in with what I'm assuming a crappy oil change and that's that I think. Is changing the gasket a job for someone who is less than mechanically inclines doable? If not, what should it run me at a shop?

the front valve cover is super easy. just remove everything obvious (coils, wiresets, ect. no need to remove spark plugs). rear is kinda a pain but not impossible, just have to remove alot more and if you're new at this stuff it'll take a while. gotta remove intake manifold, and disconnect everything attached to it and then the plug wires. if you wanna tackle it yourself buy a Haynes manual from autozone or whatever is your local auto parts store. it didnt take me long to do but when i did it i was in the middle of replacing my clutch and needed something to do while my flywheel was resurfaced (my rear cover had small leak). my guess is you would need to put aside at least half a day just to be safe. may wanna get a 6 pack too :drinking:
o and if you remove your EGR pipe thats connected to the throttle body BE VERY CAREFUL not to strip the bolts where they screw in and if its rusty use PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench BEFORE attempting to unscrew. last thing you want is a stripped bolt hole or broken stud, especially if you've never tried something like this
AND REMEMBER TO PROPERLY TORQUE ALL BOLTS, may seem silly but its a good practice.
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Not going to lie, I had no idea there was even a back valve cover. Geeze.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Billdo wrote:Not going to lie, I had no idea there was even a back valve cover. Geeze.

if it's a 2.4 then there;s only one valve cover. which should make it easy
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:07 pm

I was going to say... that threw me for a loop there lol.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5