[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Rough idle in gear 2000 4cyl
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Rough idle in gear 2000 4cyl

Rough idle in gear 2000 4cyl

Postby Midias » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:43 am

I am having a problem with my wifes 4 cylinder automatic camry / solara.

My wife said it started when she pulled into the driveway this morning.

The car idles fine in park but where you put it in reverse the RPMs drop fast and it tries to idle around 300 RPM and will eventually stall. If you then put it in drive it gets a little better but it is still very low and the car shakes and comes close to stalling.

If you start driving it drives normal and smoothly and then when you come to a stop it idles fairly normally maybe a little low. Any time you put it back in reverse the idle becomes bad again but it will back up normally.

The plugs are fairly new so are the wires.

There is plenty of engine oil and there seems to be plenty of transmission fluid.

No codes yet

EDIT******************

Just took a quick drive after it cooled. It ran normal until it warmed up. So I sprayed the IAC from the hole in the TB it may have gotten a little better but not normal. I will remove the throttle body tomorrow and report back.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Rough idle in gear 2000 4cyl

Postby DSM_Lara » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:39 pm

I was gonna say IAC might be getting clog. Let us know if your problem has been fix.
Last edited by DSM_Lara on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:40 pm

DSM_Lara wrote:I was gonna say IAC might be getting clog. Let us know if your problem has been fix.

Yea could be she is working tonight and is determined like any stubburn woman to take her car and not mine. Tomorrow I will remove the TB, IAC and EGR to give them all a good cleaning.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Midias wrote:
DSM_Lara wrote:I was gonna say IAC might be getting clog. Let us know if your problem has been fix.

Yea could be she is working tonight and is determined like any stubburn woman to take her car and not mine. Tomorrow I will remove the TB, IAC and EGR to give them all a good cleaning.

x2 usually with a low idle like that the iac, throttle body could have a lot of carbon build up.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby Midias » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 am

Took apart the IAC last night it was filthy and did not move freely. After soaking it in TB cleaner and then brushing it down I got it sparkling clean.

Started it up and the cold idle shot up to 2.3kRPM then settled to 1.6k in park shifted into reverse and dropped to about 500 RPM. Drove around for a while and it slowly got better I went to reverse again and it stalled after a low idle. Upon restart thing were much better and it seems to be normal. I am guessing a restart was needed to recal the computer table values. Not it seems normal and my wife will be happy for at least 10 minutes.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 am

Bad news the trans just died no drive or reverse. Took it to a Toyota mechanic I trust and it is dead.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DSM_Lara » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:02 am

How many miles on the Tranny??? Torque Converter?
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:07 am

DSM_Lara wrote:How many miles on the Tranny??? Torque Converter?

About 136k the car had some issues in the past with the previous owner at about 70k but it was also a gift to my wife so I cannot complain much. She got it for free at a bout 110k
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5