[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Cali spec- can I convert?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Cali spec- can I convert?

Cali spec- can I convert?

Postby minig646 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:01 am

Despite my car being from New York and never being registered anywhere near California, my 1999 Sle is somehow Cali spec. I'm very curious why, but more importantly it means I lose 10 Horsepower and I have to shell out big bucks for A/F sensors instead of cheaper o2 sensors.

What exactly is different on Cali spec cars? I'm assuming there's some extra catalytic converting going on, plus the aforementioned A/F sensors and probably some ECU programming... If I had access to a regular v6 solara parts car, what would be needed to convert? Is this feasible?
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Cali spec- can I convert?

Postby minig646 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:27 pm

Bump... No one's tried this before?
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1gSE » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:21 am

I doubt you can switch sensors. Swapping Cali spec manifolds to fed spec has been covered before (it might have gotten lost in the .org/.com switch) but its supposed to free up a few hp. Honestly, you probably won't even feel the difference. IMHO, if you're going to do that amount of work, you might as well go with something aftermarket....which we're pretty limited on
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby minig646 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Honestly, I just want to be able to use cheaper o2 sensors instead of the more expensive A/F sensors. I can live without the horsepower, but I don't have the money for all this hippie crap...

You see any problem with swapping the PCM with a fed spec one and switching to o2 sensors?
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:07 pm

I saw your earlier post about your codes. There is a TBS for certian 99 Solara's with the V6 California Spec for those codes. I just figured being from PA there's no way it's a CA spec car :o !! Anyways, if you car was produced before VIN 2T1CF22P*XC104577 then this TSB would apply. It's a very easy fix as well, there was a pin fit issue with the A/F Heater Relay. You could probably do it yourself in about 20 minutes with no new parts !! I can get you the complete TSB if you want it.
****THE FLEET****
2001 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 - "The Wifes"
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 5 Speed - Family Pimp Ride
1993 Toyota Celica GT-Four R/C Clone - Weekend Fun
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Sport Roof - Just Because !!
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:45 pm

I actually have one of the first solaras built, according to my dealer. If you could get me the TSB that would be awesome! Need my email address?
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah, just PM it to me. It's pretty simple; there is a couple relays connected to your battery hold down. In Relay Block #2, Remove the A/F heater relay and secure pin terminals #1 & #2 in the relay block, reinstall the relay and make sure everything works.....It's a pin fit issue, make sure the relay has good connection when you install it. That may fix your problem !
****THE FLEET****
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Unfortunately that didn't do it. I'm pretty sure I got all the pins back in but you know how those things are, once you pull it out it will never go back the same. I just hope I didn't make it worse. CEL came back, with all those codes. I think I might just have a bad sensor.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Sorry to hear that. If you want to PM your email address to me I can send you the actual TSB from Toyota. That way you can double check and make sure I told you the correct way to do it or maybe you have a problem with that relay itself. Unfortunetly, I work at a Dealership in Michigan and we don't see to many California spec cars. I just happened to run across the TSB and thought it may be helpful.
****THE FLEET****
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:23 pm

I found the actual TSB once you described it to me, and it described my problem to a tee. However, I swapped the A/F sensor with one from a Cali spec Avalon at the junkyard. Despite being a different part, I get away with that for about 500 miles before the computer catches on throws a light. With my current A/F sensor, it only takes a few miles so I do think it's a problem with the actual sensor. I do appreciate your help though.
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:47 pm

No problem. Hope the sensor fixes it !!
****THE FLEET****
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby minig646 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Finally (yes, finally) fixed the problem. I was the problem. Since you were so interested in helping me I figured you might be interested in what was wrong...

I blew the A/F fuse by using that incompatible junkyard sensor and shorting out the heater circuit. I also reassembled the relay block poorly after trying the fix mentioned in that TSB you told me about, and one of the pins backed out. It wasn't one of the power pins, so when I plugged it in the relay still clicked so I never suspected it until now. One of these days, something will go wrong on my car that isn't my fault. One of these days...
minig646
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 pm

first off is your car a 5 speed or auto. im pretty sure all 5 speeds are O2 sensors, even in CA. in my swap im using a 5 speed ECU and had to buy O2 sensors. the engine and harness i got were from an auto but the ECU had an immobilizer so it wouldn't run the engine.
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5