[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Need Rear Engine Mount replaced. Help anyone?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Need Rear Engine Mount replaced. Help anyone?

Need Rear Engine Mount replaced. Help anyone?

Postby Saranael » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 pm

I bought a rear engine mount replacement because mine is definitely shot (vibration, engine movement when changing into reverse).

Tried to go to a mechanic, he took the car. Labor rate $75 (New York).

Was in there for 5 hours, he said he would squeeze it in his day. Then I got a call and he asked me (almost furiously) whether I knew how much freaking work it would be. Removing the drive axle and compressing and bla. I saw a thread on Toyota Nation where an amateur did it in his garage in 2-3 hours. So I expected it to be like that at worst but the mechanic said if he did the job it would take LONG and I would have to pay "several hundred bucks".

I can't afford that right now as a college student, $300 -$400... Is anyone here knowledgeable, willing and located in NY to help me out with this?

Thanks guys!
Saranael
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Need Rear Engine Mount replaced. Help anyone?

Postby sk8r776 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 pm

The rear engine mount for mine was pretty easy. I have a manual but it should be the same mount.

He has to remove the wheel, Pull the axle out (PITA if it is rusted in like mine was.)

We ended up removing the mount with the axle in it, which was difficult. Ended up needing a new belt.

In Short, This can be a lot of work. Took me 2 hours to pull mine as one piece with the axle.

'93 Civic LX --> '02 Accord SE 5-Speed --> '01 Solara SE 5-Speed --> '06 350z Base Rev-UP

Mods
Hid Conversion 8K + 3K, Injen SRI, GLP CAI extension, Lots more to come.
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Pretty easy ive taken mine out, and put it back in 1 1/2. remove sturt tower bar, lift the car, take the right wheel off put the car on stands and with the car in the air jack up the engine, would be better to drain tranny fluid too, you have to remove the axle then the mount should be in plain site.

The mechanic you took it to must have been some sort of moron. He's a mechanic and he's calling you to tell you thats its a pain in the ass?! yeah he shouldnt be working on anything period!

if you were here in socal. Theres a few that could have helped. Good luck!
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby 1BADGTS » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:33 am

These can be a real pain to do, but they are not impossible !! If you live in states where rust is a problem you may very likely destroy the support bearing trying to seperate it from the mount, some I've seen them slide right out !! The best bet if they don't slide right out is to remove the complete mount with axle, you can then remove the inside cv boot clamp & remove the complete cv axle. You are now left with the tulip (part that the inner cv goes into), mount and the small extention shaft that goes into transmission. This is now much shorter and much easier to work with. I would trying soaking it with penetrating oil first, if it still doesn't go you can SAFELY add a little heat to the mount, just be very carefully for the bearing. At times we have even had to use a press to get the bearing out of the mount, but this is very rare. Couple things you can do to make this job easier for the next time is 1) remove the dowl pins from the mount to the block. This will allow the axle and the mount to slide in and out of the trans easily (you may even have to use a air chisel to cut those pins to even get the mount out in the first place). 2) clean the mount and the bearing out side good and use some anti-sieze before putting it back together. This may make it so you never have to remove the mount again to get the complete axle out in the future. If all else fails I know Toyota and some aftermarket companies sell the axle already in the mount. This is a bit more pricey but it will save alot of labor !! I know this is alot of info, but I hope it helps.
****THE FLEET****
2001 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 - "The Wifes"
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 5 Speed - Family Pimp Ride
1993 Toyota Celica GT-Four R/C Clone - Weekend Fun
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Sport Roof - Just Because !!
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5