[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - More clutch problems...
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

More clutch problems...

More clutch problems...

Postby aka7footer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Hey guys ive got a 2000 se 5speed v6 had it for almost two years. and about two months ago i noticed a slip in my clutch. when im in gear lets say 3rd and im accelerating quickly my RPMs go up but my speed slowly accelerates. Clutch slipping? it does this in all gears except 1st. i thought it was the clutch going out but ive been told its the slave and then clutch agian.... im lost.... please help!!!!
00' black on black solara blacked out grill and tail lights, green interior lights, aftermarket glow dash,injen short ram air intake, green hid fog lights, double din jvc headunit,
aka7footer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: More clutch problems...

Postby 1gSE » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

you're more likely to slip in higher gears. I'd plan for a new one and a slave cyl while you're at it
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby aka7footer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:14 pm

so i need a clutch and a slave? ive read some on clutches i want to put a stage two in i have an intake but nothing major and i like to run off the stop lights sometimes. any specific brand that i should get? i know there are cheapies on ebay for like $140
00' black on black solara blacked out grill and tail lights, green interior lights, aftermarket glow dash,injen short ram air intake, green hid fog lights, double din jvc headunit,
aka7footer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Yeah, I'd avoid those. They may work, but you don't want to take the chance of having to do the job twice just to save a few bucks. I'm still on whatever clutch was in the car when I bought it 50 something thousand miles ago and during that time I've abused the absolute sh*t out of it. The last 10k have been under boost. I have a Spec stage 2 waiting to go in. My suggestion, stick with a stock replacement if you're planning on staying lightly modded (minor bolt-ons). A stock-ish Solara isn't going to dominate a stoplight grand prix. If you're planning a major power adder in the near future, upgrade
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:05 pm

yeah if your running an intake and minor stuff just leave the oem clutch on there. No need to go crazy unless your planning on supercharging it soon. A stock solara wont launch like a bat out of hell either. So my opinion get the stock clutch on there and call it a day.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby Gregtrd » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:44 pm

I have a new autozone clutch for sale for $100 with life time warranty. Let me know if youre interested.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby aka7footer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:16 am

Yeah there's no way ill be sc it unless I hit the lotto. So I guess stock it is. I just want it to be fixed. It sounds like I don't know how to drive a clutch if the gears slip. I've been babying her the last month or so. I'll probably make my purchases within the next week. Thanks for the help guys!
aka7footer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 am

my clutch went around 130k. slipped all the time in 3rd gear between 2-3k rpm. then it exploded when a audi a3 wanted to race at a light lol, still won too! anyways i replaced it with a Exedy clutch. nothing special it was basically the same a OEM one. did it in my garage and now it feels brand new. only mods i had where an intake and exhaust. now im about to s/c my solara (planning on installing today, BUT now its snowing out)
either way i didnt think the clutch job was too bad. i didnt drop the sub frame either. simply took out the drivers side axle and slide the tranny into the wheel well. had more than enough room to install the pressure plate and throw0out bearing. AND forget to re-surface your fly wheel or get a lightweight one. otherwise you'll ruin the new friction disc. GOOD LUCK :drinking:
02 5spd Engine scattered, working on a 3MZ S/C set-up
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Even the best brand of clutches can fail !! I'm in the process of replacing my less than 25K (about 2 1/2 years of street driving & only 1 track day) ACT stage 2 clutch. As you can see I had a straight up parts failure with the clutch disc.
One of the duel dampner springs came right out of the clutch disc case while my wife was down shifting and exiting the highway last week.
Not only did it take out the clutch, but the smaller inner spring also ruined the flywheel face !! I am now installing a Exedy Racing stage 1 kit that has an organic disc & a Fidanza lightweight flywheel. The Exedy pressure plate is rated just as high as the ACT stage 2 and instead of a six puck Kevlar disc it has an organic full disc. The ACT 6 puck disc really ate up the OEM flywheel, so even if the spring didn't damage the flywheel, next clutch replacement it would have needed to be replaced anyways !! So, unless you have a lightweight flywheel with replacable surface (like the Fidanza), I would stay away from the Stage 2 & stage 3 Kevlar discs. The Exedy Racing kit was also Half the price of a ACT or SPEC clutch !! The Exedy Racing Kit for the Solara 1mz is 16803A. This kit includes Organic disc, Stronger pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing (not used) & alignment tool. I found this kit on the internet for $275 which is a far cry from the over $400 ACT kit that failed. The Fidanza flywheel number I used is 130881. The flywheel I found for $294, which was still cheaper than the OEM Toyota one that cost $360 at my dealership !! If you are going to use anything other than OEM, I would say Exedy would be the way to go. I know for a fact that the OEM Toyota discs and pressure plates are made by Exedy in japan, so even a Exedy OEM replacement would be just as good as OEM, but cheaper !! If you need a bit better disc and a little more holding power the Exedy Racing kit would be the way to go..........Just my 2 cents !!
****THE FLEET****
2001 Toyota Highlander Limited V6 - "The Wifes"
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 5 Speed - Family Pimp Ride
1993 Toyota Celica GT-Four R/C Clone - Weekend Fun
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Sport Roof - Just Because !!
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 am

that is very common in ACT clutches, they are a local shop to me and I used top use their clutches all the time. NEVER AGAIN. Now im a Southbend Cllutch fan boy. I have their clutch in every one of my cars. that includes my Supra and Dodge truck. they make an awesome OEM replacement called the TZ. i also suggest getting the Fidanza Flywheel. they are an excellent combination.
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 pm

^ +1 on NEVER using ACT again !!
****THE FLEET****
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 1BADGTS » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:00 pm

It's been a few weeks with the new clutch and it's great !! This was a great match for the car, The clutch is very streetable, hardly no chatter, a very strong pedal feel to it and the light weight flywheel finished the package very well. I used to have a decent dip while in the power band, but with the way lighter setup (shaved 11.5lbs off the end of the crankshaft) it roles through the RPM's much smoother and has a consistant pull all the way through the power band, no more dips! I'm very happy thus far, I just hope the reliabilty is there as well.
****THE FLEET****
1BADGTS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5