[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - XM vs. Sirius
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

XM vs. Sirius

XM vs. Sirius

Postby fotodad » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:58 pm

I did a "search" of this topic and found a thread that is almost a year old. It would be my guess a lot has happened in satellite radio technology and service since that thread.

It seems many of you folks out there are enjoying either XM or Sirius satellite radio in you Solaras. As you may have noticed from other threads, I am trying to decide which service to get. Those of you who have experience with BOTH, please offer me some guidance and advise.

I listen to basically classic rock, oldies, and some alternative music. What I hear from others is that Sirius plays more side "A" music whereas XM plays more side "B" music. If this is true, it's a definite plus for Sirius.

I've also heard Sirius is better sounding than XM. But then I read on two audiophile, non-biased websites that XM is FAR better sounding than Sirius. So, if you've had the opportunity to listen to BOTH recently, which sounds better? And how much better does it sound?

Nationwide coverage is about the same. Though on the reviews I mentioned above they found that XM dropped out more often than Sirius.

I understand XM is more financially stable than Sirius. Some "experts" are saying Sirius won't be around in 5-10 years. Your thoughts on that?

I don't like the idea of having a cluttered looking interior. Does having extra equipment stuck to your dash enhance or degrade the looks of your car's interior?

Are you happy with an FM modulated system? Does it sound as clear as a CD? Do you get static? Again, some Sirius owners have told me their FM modulators pick up extraneous static.

I understand Sirius has commercial free music stations. I like that idea. But, XM tells me that while they do have minimal commercials (4-5 minutes per hour) they have 10 more music channels.

Sirius does not censor the music. XM does censor music. True or false?

If you feel there is a substantial difference between the two services, what is it? What made you finally decide on the service you currently use?

Whew! Wow! I've asked a lot of questions. I truly appreciate any feedback, advice, and guidance you can offer.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:09 pm

1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby fotodad » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:17 pm

xravexboix wrote:http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopic.php?t=3809&highlight=sirius :D

Hmmm, how did I miss that?

Thanks for the link, xravexboix! It was quite informative. But there are a couple new issues I raised in my post.

(Mods, please don't kick me off the forum because I incorrectly used the "search" function) :oops:
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:21 pm

Don't worry, they don't 'kick you off', just btch about it =P But you usually post new stuff. hahaha I'd go with Sirius, but just view the stations before buying into 1 and selling your soul =P for a year
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5