[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Question...please help
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Question...please help

Question...please help

Postby MGLax13 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:06 pm

Ok, I really searched hard for this so if it has been posted before, please don't yell at me, I looked. I installed my stereo system in my Accord and I've done it in a few other cars for my friends, but I've never encountered a stock stereo system with an amplifier seperate from the factory radio. I have the JBL system taht came stock with the car. I am going to install a Pioneer DEH-P6500 head unit that has 25Wx4 peak power. Is the amp in my HU more powerful than that stock JBL amp? Would it be better to bypass the JBL amp? If so, how do I do it? Any help would really really be appreciated along with any tips you may have. Thanks in advance.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:36 pm

I dont think anyone has the specs on the amp =\

SO yea, how would we bypass it? I have to find out for next month *rubs hands together w/ a BIG grin*
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby MGLax13 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:55 pm

Well I've decided to stop asking questions and just jump into this head unit install and hope everything works because if it doesn't, I'm gonna flip out for about 20 minutes, then get back to work...lol
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby HKSV6SLE » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:58 pm

i didnt know there was a seperate amp....where is the amp...anyways...? your aftermarket headunit should work fine with the system tho...
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby indiglosolara » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:00 pm

if you put in a aftermarket unit you have to bypass the stock amp.. its just the plugs in the back.. i would not recommend using the stick jbl amp cuz the spec are only 17watts rms on the amp if i remember correctly..

also the amp is located in back of them glove box...

the plugs for the jbl headunit is one plug with all wires.. but to bypass it theres a hook up to the right lower part you can pull out and it becomes 2 plugs... u need to buy a harness and use that for the aftermarket radio/unit
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby MGLax13 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:21 pm

I did it and it worked out great and the radio works perfectly. The only question I have is this: What is the other little plug that resembles an antenna connection? Is that the hook up that the factory head unit uses to send the signal to the amp?

I just left the connection that goes into the stock radio and that little plug stuffed back there b\c it looked like too much of a pain to take out and it looked like there were other wires stuck in that loom as well. I"m guessing it's just the speaker wire from the amp to the connection that you would see in a normal radio setup.

This install was not hard at all, alot simpler than it seems. With all that talk about bypassing amps and stuff I thought I'd be running speaker wire all through my car but it worked out perfect.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby Luc » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:00 pm

That little plug is for the diversity tuner of the OEM radio. Since 99% of aftermarket HUs don't have diversity tuning, you won't need it.
1998 S/C'd 1MZ-FE A/T
Luc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MGLax13 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:37 pm

ahhh yess......diversity tunning..thats right...forgot about that......btw, what is diversity tunning?...lol
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby Grazi07 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:32 pm

I'm a lil skeptical about bypassing the factory amp. I mean, the amp in an aftermarket CD player is tiny, it has to be to fit in the unit. How can that put out the same amt of power as a seperate amp? I've been looking at the ALpine 9815 which says its running 60 x 4 from an amp that can't be much bigger than a stick of gum....
Team Nex-Gen: The new breed of speed!

Check us out at www.teamnexgen.net
Grazi07
SolaraGuy UConn Guy
SolaraGuy UConn Guy

Postby HKSV6SLE » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:45 pm

bypass the factory amp...its small anyways...
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby MGLax13 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:38 pm

Well according to my head unit, it puts out 25Wx4 max power. The factory amp from what I hear puts out 17W RMS but I'm kinda skeptical about that though because the sound quality with my pioneer HU was alot better and the volume I got it upto at half way was alot louder as well. It might be 17W max on that factory amp. Who knows. Bypassing it is alot easier, I mean ALOT easier than trying to use it. They don't sell a wiring harness that fits the plug that goes into the JBL factory HU and you'd have to end up running some wires and wiring your aftermarket HU right into the car which then would be a pain in the future.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby Luc » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:03 pm

There is actually a harness that Metra makes which will make use of the OEM JBL amp. AFAIK, the 3-in-1 w/single CD will use 70-8112, and the 3-in-1 w/indash 6-disc will use 70-8113. However, I've tried the 70-8112 with an aftermarket headunit, and there was a very loud turn on/off pop. My guess is that the OEM amp's input stage cannot handle the output voltage of the aftermarket headunit, so an attenuator via RCA ins & outs may be needed to step it down, since the OEM amp doesn't have gain control. All in all, I'd rather just bypass the OEM amp, JBL or not. You'll be surprised how much smaller the JBL amp is compared to the regular premium OEM amp.
1998 S/C'd 1MZ-FE A/T
Luc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MGLax13 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:18 pm

Luc wrote:There is actually a harness that Metra makes which will make use of the OEM JBL amp.

This is why I like these boards, I'm learning new things all the time.
MGLax13
SolaraGuy Solara13
SolaraGuy Solara13

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:22 pm

I think the AMP is only behind the GLOVE if it's 02-3 and it's built into the headunit 99-01... something like that... do a search to get the right years
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Luc » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:03 pm

Nope, any "premium" system has the OEM amp mounted behind the glovebox, starting with '97 Camry and '99 Solara.
1998 S/C'd 1MZ-FE A/T
Luc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5