[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Remote starts for the solara.
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Remote starts for the solara.

Remote starts for the solara.

Postby Gunman » Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:03 pm

Well it seems that I have been taking alot of email about remote starts and the Solara's. So Ill go over the basics for everyone.
The most popular way is to purchase a stand alone remote start. What this is, is a seperate keypad for the sole purpose of starting the vechicle. So yes you would have to walk around with 2 remotes. If this is not an option then consider to put them both on one remote.
That way can go in two different directions. The first being having your current remote activate the remote start. For the most part, this can simply be done by tapping the ''lock'' button twice. This is the most favorable way since most people are happy and comfortable with their current remotes. But there is a downside to that, being your limited to your factory remote's range, which can be anywhere from 30-50ft. If you are going to be remote starting within those distances, this is probably the best solution for you.
The other side of that is to have the new remote do all of the other functions, such as lock/arm unlock/disarm, as well as remote start. For those of us that have the 02 models, then you are looking for a remote start that has a ''spare'' channel, in which that can be used to pop the trunk. Now the only downside if you want to call it that is losing the priority door lock option. What that means is simply when you hit unlock on your factory keypad, ONLY the drivers door unlocks, and a second tap then unlocks the passanger side. Yes some alarms have the ability but for the most part, your popular remote starts do not. Using the new clicker unlocks both doors at the same time, but keep in mind you can start the car from down the block. I hope this help people out with further or future questions, and of course if you have more specific questions you can contact me about it.
Also I almost forgot, those of you that have the transponder in your keys, yes it can be bypassed to allow the vechicle to start. The first method is the universal mod, that encases your key and then transmitt the code to your ECM which then unlocks your fuel system, the newer way are mods that learn your keys codes and then transmitt them without losing a key. :wink:
Solara's "official" handsome guy.
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby mlimin » Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:06 am

HI gunman, I am thinking to put remote start on my solara too. I am thinking to just add on to my oem alarm.
Do you know any good brand??? how hard is it to install?? can I do it by myself??

Thanks
mlimin
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Yanks0114 » Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:41 am

mlimin wrote:HI gunman, I am thinking to put remote start on my solara too. I am thinking to just add on to my oem alarm.
Do you know any good brand??? how hard is it to install?? can I do it by myself??

Thanks

I'm not a professional installer like gunman, but i do know that an alarm can be very difficult. I have seen the wiring diagram directly from DEI (mainly known for making the viper alarms) and its a lot of wires. Personally i think you should start looking locally for the alarms, you will be suprized at the deals that you can find.

As for what brand to get, any DEI product should be fine. Gives you like 10 brands to choose from. http://www.directed.com/
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby mlimin » Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:21 pm

The one that I am looking at is just add on to oem alarm. So as an example: when you press your unlock 3 times your car will start.
mlimin
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Missay » Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:12 pm

mlimin wrote:So as an example: when you press your unlock 3 times your car will start.

like a kill switch type you mean?
Melissa
Missay
SolaraGuy Ambassador
SolaraGuy Ambassador

Postby Gunman » Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:44 pm

yes you can your looking for the viper 551r or the 551t, the main difference is that the 551r comes with a remote but you dont have to use it. Funny i just did a 2001 solara today. You need to disarm and if you have a transponder equiped, you need to bypass it also. For the most part, if you have the proper tools its fairly easy, you really dont need to go under the hood for anything, since you ecm which is located behind the glove box, carries the tach signal, the panel drops down with two screws under the fhood release and one in the lower right corner, then its 4 ten mm bolts and just about all your wires are there. :wink:
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Yanks0114 » Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:51 pm

Who origionally made the RS3200 alarm?
Any clue
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ICUFG » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:57 pm

I thought you couldnt buy DEI over the counter Gunman? I've done remote starts before, if you have never done one and dont have any one to supervise you that knows what you are doing I wouldnt do it. If you are under warranty and some thing goes wrong you cant point the finger at no one, its worth paying the labor and saving the headache.
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gunman » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:15 pm

depends where you go icfu, some places dont care, like our store policy is if you take in on your own, thats it , its yours there is no return policy, also im sure there are places online you can buy em,
As far as putting them in yourselves, if you never done anything like it, I wouldnt even try, it is your electrical system your playing with, we do every day and i guess it seems easier than what it is. Most cars i can get in just wire directly and remote start it without even testing a wire, i shouldnt but thats me being cocky i guess. it might bite me in the ass one day. I know you can order the 551r online for 129, which is a good price. But the most important thing is to bring it to an experience shop and ask to see a job that they are wiring up at the time and see if everything is neat and well placed. :wink:
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby mlimin » Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:24 pm

so you mean I can buy the viper remote start and just add on to my oem alarm???

and for the tach wire. did you say that all of them under the center glove compartment??
and also how can you bypass the transporder?/
mlimin
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gunman » Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:34 pm

there's two ways, a unit that actually holds the key and then transmitt the code to your ecm, this loses a key, and the other way learns you code so you dont have to lose a key but is such a pain in the ass to program.
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ICUFG » Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:11 am

If im not mistaken for you to use an aftermarket alarm with a OEM keyless and have remote start you have to get pulse timers in order to make the OEM keyless to signal the aftermarket alarm. I say just buy a new alarm and have a new remote it looks better and more reliable.
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gunman » Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:15 pm

nah, most of the better ones have that all built in anyway, its fairly simple on some cars.
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ICUFG » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:06 am

I installed the Prestige(Audiovox) APS-996 with Remote Start and I love it, I highly recommend it. I was considering going with the DEI but this one has more features, smaller LCD remote, and a all in one unit (dont have any external relays for remote start).
ICUFG
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gunman » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:13 am

thats the alarm and remote start one?
Gunman
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5