[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TV Questions
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

TV Questions

TV Questions

Postby ultramookie » Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:50 pm

OK, someone answer this stuff for me :D

- What is a " 3-Line Digital Comb Filter"?
- What is "Velocity Modulation Scanning"?
- What is better S-Video or Component?
ultramookie
the guy pulling all the levers
the guy pulling all the levers

Postby happy_aggies » Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:05 pm

Component is better.
'99 Autumn Red Solara SE Auto S/C 1MZ-FE w/ JIC Exhaust
http://www.cardomain.com/id/happy_aggies
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby NaptownSolara » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:21 am

A digital comb filter is a pre-processing device used to enhance a television's picture quality. 3 line, I believe, is a technology pioneered by Sony about 3-4 years ago, and is still used. There's also 3D digital comb filter technology, which is said to be better, but I doubt there's much of a tangible difference (more likely it's a format war).

VMS, also by Sony, is another processor which is used to sharpen the edges of objects on the screen, giving the picture the illusion of better resolution. I never understood why they didn't just invest that R&D money into making a processor that eliminated dot crawl throughout the picture, but then again, I guess that's why I'm not a bigwig Sony exec.

Finally, as noted above, component video will provide a better piture on a high definition monitor than s-video.

Hope this helps.
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Silver
Alpine/Kicker audio system
NaptownSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 4banger » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:15 pm

the way the guy at circuit city described the it was, the more adjectives in front of "filter," the better.
Silver '99 Solara SE 4cyl.
4banger
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:21 pm

going on the edge of being OT, but...

I have about $200 to spend on a TV for my room... any suggestions? (I currently have a old Sony... which has some magnetic crap build up or whatever it's called) I have my Sony dvd player, sony(duh) ps2, my sony vaio laptop, and sony vcr... sony please :D
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Ferrari_1299 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:22 am

Go Plasma, Sony has good ones. You may need more than $200.
1999 SE V6
Eibach Springs, Tokicko Struts, CF Hood, Custom Grill, Clear Corners, more to come...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/275185
Ferrari_1299
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby NaptownSolara » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:21 am

xravexboix wrote:going on the edge of being OT, but...

I have about $200 to spend on a TV for my room... any suggestions? (I currently have a old Sony... which has some magnetic crap build up or whatever it's called) I have my Sony dvd player, sony(duh) ps2, my sony vaio laptop, and sony vcr... sony please :D

I'd spend an extra $50 and go with the 27" Samsung at Best Buy, or even better, the Toshiba 27" for $270. Circuit City has a few Sonys for $200, but they're 13". You won't get a 25" or 27" Sony for under $300 I don't think. However, you could get a VERY NICE wall bracket for the plasma WEGA for around $200 :)
NaptownSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby xyntax » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:41 am

xravexboix wrote:going on the edge of being OT, but...

If you can spare $100 - $200 a month, then go to Circuit City and ask them about a Sony Card (financing thing) which enables you to pay for your $1500-TV up to a year without interest. I did this with my 32" Sony WEGA two years ago. Coolest thing is, every year they always offer you the same purchasing power.
-~=| XYNTAX |=~-

2AZ-FE & 13B-MSP
xyntax
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:36 am

Thanks! But I heard that the FCC is starting to regulate broadcasts... so I should hold off til the Digital ones are in play... I heard (on TechTV or some ridiculous geek show i watch) that in 2005 or something like that, the current singals that we use for TVs now will be stopped, and we must use a new type of broadcast signal (I think they said we're going digital even for local stuff)... right now, they are so expensive that it's not worth buying until it's main stream.

I guess I can cope with my current 19 inch sanyo piece of crap hahaha (not like I watch much tv anyhow... always out or on the computer when I'm home)
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby NaptownSolara » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:49 am

Yeah, I think the effective year for full digital conversion is 2006. You will still be able to use analog televisions, but that will require a costly digital-ananlog converter.
NaptownSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5