[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Digital Caps
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Digital Caps

Digital Caps

Postby RickyBoxler » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:33 pm

Ive already bought a Yellow TOp optima to power my system but I know i need a Capacitor to make it run smooth. SInce im gonna be runnin 3 12" subs im gonna go with a 3 farrad cap (ive seen 5 but that seems to much). Now im wonderin if anyone knows if the difference in brands (and price) matters.Now i was gonna look for an audiobahn..priced at anything less thatn 375..but now im lookin and I see a brand called legacy that sells em for 98 bucks. Millenium has a 3.5 farrad cap for 139 and stinger has one for like 299ish. Please tell me if these price ranges actually reflect the quality of the product..or if it doesnt matter?...I of course like to save money..but Im definetly willing to spend the few extra bucks for a quality product thats gonna make a noticible difference.
2003 Silver SLE

Panasonic CQ-VAD9300U
XTANT-X1001
XTANT-X604
1 JL W7 12"
Stock JBL Speakers=(...till they blow
More stuff i dont feel like typing
RickyBoxler
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Digital Caps

Postby pro956 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:49 pm

RickyBoxler wrote:Ive already bought a Yellow TOp optima to power my system but I know i need a Capacitor to make it run smooth. SInce im gonna be runnin 3 12" subs im gonna go with a 3 farrad cap (ive seen 5 but that seems to much). Now im wonderin if anyone knows if the difference in brands (and price) matters.Now i was gonna look for an audiobahn..priced at anything less thatn 375..but now im lookin and I see a brand called legacy that sells em for 98 bucks. Millenium has a 3.5 farrad cap for 139 and stinger has one for like 299ish. Please tell me if these price ranges actually reflect the quality of the product..or if it doesnt matter?...I of course like to save money..but Im definetly willing to spend the few extra bucks for a quality product thats gonna make a noticible difference.

nice battery, caps rn't as helpful to your electrical system/sound system as you think (they are somewhat helpful though). make sure you upgrade the "big 3" under you hood. what are the 3 12" subs (how many ohms svc/dvc) and the amp you're going to be pushing them with? audiobahn caps are okey, nothing special, avoid legacy at all costs (well maybe not $5-$10), what the hell is millenium?(i'd avoid that). stinger is good

anyway, let me know your setup...
AIM: pro956
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby kondo » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:47 pm

Running another battery could be annother option instaed of running a cap. I run 1300 watts off one SVR gell cell. As far as caps go I like phoenix gold my buddy is running 4 Image Dynamic 15's and 6 phoenix gold 500 watt amps off 2 SVR batterys and a phoenix gold 15 fared cap
here is a pic http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages ... 075&page=5
I just deal with my lights dimming every time the subs hit. You can get away with running 3 12's on the battery if you don't mind the lights getting dimmer and brighter as the beats hit.

nick
kondo
SolaraGuy StickerGuy
SolaraGuy StickerGuy

Postby pro956 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:16 pm

kondo wrote:Running another battery could be annother option instaed of running a cap. I run 1300 watts off one SVR gell cell. As far as caps go I like phoenix gold my buddy is running 4 Image Dynamic 15's and 6 phoenix gold 500 watt amps off 2 SVR batterys and a phoenix gold 15 fared cap
here is a pic http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages ... 075&page=5
I just deal with my lights dimming every time the subs hit. You can get away with running 3 12's on the battery if you don't mind the lights getting dimmer and brighter as the beats hit.

nick

i don't think he should run another battery his alternator is already going to be under enough stress.
you can get away with running 10+ 12" subs on a battery if they're 100w each... let's just see what his setup is first

btw- the yellow top was a good choice

if you were planning on spending 300+ on caps, you'd be better off upgrading your alternator
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby RickyBoxler » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:13 pm

Ya..ill be runnin 3 Jl 7w12 with a xtant 1001 1000 watt amp..(im gonna replace that later so i get more power). NO i cant stand it when the lights and stuff dim when the bass hits so i will need a cap=). Is there a reason that legacy is bad? I mean like what makes the quality difference in the caps, does the price range actually justify their qualities? ANd your guys econoline is freakin crazy..id love to hear that thing. Thanx for the replies guys..i need to get this stuff soon so i need to figure out whats up.
2003 Silver SLE

Panasonic CQ-VAD9300U
XTANT-X1001
XTANT-X604
1 JL W7 12"
Stock JBL Speakers=(...till they blow
More stuff i dont feel like typing
RickyBoxler
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pro956 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:14 pm

RickyBoxler wrote:Ya..ill be runnin 3 Jl 7w12 with a xtant 1001 1000 watt amp..(im gonna replace that later so i get more power). NO i cant stand it when the lights and stuff dim when the bass hits so i will need a cap=). Is there a reason that legacy is bad? I mean like what makes the quality difference in the caps, does the price range actually justify their qualities? ANd your guys econoline is freakin crazy..id love to hear that thing. Thanx for the replies guys..i need to get this stuff soon so i need to figure out whats up.

i'm assuming you meant 3 12w7s
your lights will dim insanely (especially after upgrading your amp) unless you:
upgrade the big 3 under your hood, forget buying caps (well you can get them, but they won't do much), and most importantly purchase a high output alternator (or get yours rewound which isn't too safe).
all of this is going into your solara?!?
legacy is a peice of crap company just like pyramid, it's like me scotch taping a distro block on top of a soda can and selling it to you for 98 bucks.
anyway, what amp are you planning on upgrading too? one of those 12w7s in a ported box powered off of that xtant 1001 would be insane. anyway, give the subs at least 750w rms each

the general rule of thumb is 1 farad for every 1000w rms, caps don't do much at all though, it'll end up putting more strain on your alternator than anything else...
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5