[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Installing an aftermarket audio upgrade
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Installing an aftermarket audio upgrade

Installing an aftermarket audio upgrade

Postby kronos98 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:56 pm

I am a newb to cars... I just got a '99 Solara last summer b/c I needed a car for college. To tell you the truth, I wasn't exactly all that thrilled, b/c what I had wanted was a Honda Accord Coupe.

As it turns out, I am all about the Toyota Solara, now! This car rocks in just about every way. I immediately discovered how heavy of a car it was and exactly how poor the suspension was, but it's got a powerful engine and plenty of looks to cover for it.

Now, I am very excited to pour all of my heart and soul into this car, but I need some help.

I'd like to start by upgrading my horrible stock factory audio system (non JBL) and so I bought an INFINITY REFERENCE 1020w 10" subwoofer (250W RMS). I am almost done choosing an amp and an enclosure.

My question is this... why the blazes is it so hard to open up the insides of my car to add stuff or make modifications?? Do I absolutely have to have some professional at Best Buy or Circuit City do the work for me, or can I? I can't even get behind my headunit, EVEN THOUGH THE FRONT IS IN PLAIN SIGHT! :evil:

You all seem to be quite the experts about Solaras, and that's why I decided to ask you. Are there special tools that I need? Hidden instructions somewhere on the internet?

Thanks for all your help in advance...
Last edited by kronos98 on Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kronos98
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby happy_aggies » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:18 pm

It's very easy to take out the center console,
just prey it out.
'99 Autumn Red Solara SE Auto S/C 1MZ-FE w/ JIC Exhaust
http://www.cardomain.com/id/happy_aggies
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Installing an aftermarket audio upgrade

Postby Yanks0114 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:02 pm

kronos98 wrote:
My question is this... why the blazes is it so hard to open up the insides of my car to add stuff or make modifications?? Do I absolutely have to have some professional at Best Buy or Circuit City do the work for me, or can I? I can't even get behind my headunit, EVEN THOUGH THE FRONT IS IN PLAIN SIGHT! :evil:

LOL. HAHAHA. Professionals at best buy and circuit city. Most of them are just High school kids. Order your wiring harness from crutchfield and you will get a free booklet on how to install the headunit for the solara. Its very easy though. The center console just pulls out. Remove four screws, connect the wiring harness and reassemble

http://www.crutchfield.com/infocenter/S ... JCT0w/car/
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby nkx1 » Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:06 pm

Yeah, for the front panel surrounding the stereo, all u do is gently pull on it starting from the bottom. There are about 3-4 snap on connectors on each side, and when you pull out the black panel, they pop out without too much trouble. Don't forget to buy a harness for whatever aftermarket head unit you get. That way you don't have to go ghetto style and cut the factory wires.
2001 SLE, Diamond White Pearl
nkx1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:29 pm

This should simplify things for you.
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalToySolara.htm
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Re: Installing an aftermarket audio upgrade

Postby kronos98 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:34 am

You guys are freakin' awesome
kronos98
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ZXLNT » Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:20 am

U thought the suspension was poor? To me its 10 times better than my 96 2dr Le. That car is a wallowing pig in the corners.
ZXLNT
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kronos98 » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:25 pm

yeah. my car's suspension isn't so great. i did some research, and the reviews agree. the '99 suspension is the worst of the solaras. oh well. i still love the car :)
kronos98
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NASTY » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:59 pm

i didnt think they touched the suspension...
(how the hell did suspension come up anyway?)
'01 SLE V6
NASTY
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5