[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - More AMP questions!!!! PLEASE HELP!
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

More AMP questions!!!! PLEASE HELP!

More AMP questions!!!! PLEASE HELP!

Postby mailskobe » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:18 am

OK, so here are other set of questions:
JBL premium has no RCA outs
So there 3 opotions here

1: Get a harness that plugs in right into the head unit??? (is there a harness like that, if so where i can get it and how much?)
2. Tap the rear speaker wires and put it into the high input on the amp (JBL600.1)
3. attach a high-low converter which gives a RCA out. However, where do i tap into the wires for the high low converter?
a) Shud i do it when the wires leave the head unit BEFORE they go into the JBL PREMIUM amp?
b) Shud i do it after they come out from the JBL PREMIUM amp?
c) SHud i do it from the rear speaker wires!

Pray tell me, i cant wait too long to get my SUB running, its been with me for a week now! :drinking:

THanks a mill.
mailskobe
============================
2000 SZ V6, 5 speed, silver
mailskobe
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: More AMP questions!!!! PLEASE HELP!

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:51 am

mailskobe wrote:OK, so here are other set of questions:
JBL premium has no RCA outs
So there 3 opotions here

1: Get a harness that plugs in right into the head unit??? (is there a harness like that, if so where i can get it and how much?)
2. Tap the rear speaker wires and put it into the high input on the amp (JBL600.1)
3. attach a high-low converter which gives a RCA out. However, where do i tap into the wires for the high low converter?
a) Shud i do it when the wires leave the head unit BEFORE they go into the JBL PREMIUM amp?
b) Shud i do it after they come out from the JBL PREMIUM amp?
c) SHud i do it from the rear speaker wires!

mailskobe

1. There is no harness like that that exists.
2. That is an option for that amp because it does have those inputs.
3. If you want you can also attach a hi-low converter but that'll cost you like $20. I would do it from the rear speakers because it'll be hard to get to the JBL amp which is behind the glovebox. Also it would be hard to identify the wires coming from the amp.
Last edited by Yanks0114 on Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby mailskobe » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:54 am

ok i am drinking :drinking:
mailskobe
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mailskobe » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:01 am

I got one high-low for $40, some audio-link $hit.
does any one know any better ones...

as per your suggestion to tap them from rear speakers: here are my concerns:
the signal running thru the rear speakers is already amplified by the jbl premium amp and i guess filtered to suit the rear speakers.

is there a way to get a preamp signal?

also, i asked about the harness, since you mentioned it in one of your mails, here is the link you provided
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-INx9sqWr6d ... enter/car/
mailskobe
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:11 am

There is no way to get a preamp signal because that originates from the headunit. Don't be confused by the JBL "Amp". Its that same thing as an aftermarket headunit has for the internal power. Like when you see 50x4 or something, thats very similar to the JBL setup, except the headunit is like the control screen and the amp is located in a remote location. Its fine to tap into the rear speakers but the problem is you'll either need to use bass blockers to remove bass from your other speakers, or get a nice crossover setup. The advantage to an aftermarket headunit is you can hook the RCAs to your preamp outs and cut off all bass below a certain HZ to your regular speakers.

Any reason why you aren't getting a headunit. It would save you a lot of headaches.

Im not to familiar with the RCA converters, can you adjust bass through there.

A huge problem I had when I had my bazooka tube was in order to get decent bass out of that i had to turn the bass on my stock headunit up to 5. Thats going to be the same thing on your subs
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby mailskobe » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:20 am

I am pretty happy with my stock head unit, infact i prefer it over the other gizmos, colorful and all. i like how it sits and integrates plush with the rest of the dashboard.

i thot you had infinity kappa perfect + jbl 600.1 setup?

Well a convertor basically just makes the amplified speaker input into a low level input for the amplifier.

i think i will try with the highlevel inputs on my JBL amp..
damn, this is getting more complicated than i thot.

mailskobe
mailskobe
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mailskobe » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:10 pm

i just called crutchfield tech support and did some research:
here is what i learned:
Since my headunit has no RCA out, there is no way i can get a pre-amp signal to my sub amolifier.

Since my sub amp has high level inputs, i can directly connect my rear speaker wire output to my amp.

I can also, take a high low convertor and feed my amp with RCA input but that doesnt seem logical since my amp already has high level inputs.

mailskobe
mailskobe
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:53 pm

mailskobe wrote:i thot you had infinity kappa perfect + jbl 600.1 setup?

mailskobe

I do now. I used to have a stupid bazooka tube. What a waste of money since the solara is such a big car.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:55 pm

mailskobe wrote:i just called crutchfield tech support and did some research:
here is what i learned:
Since my headunit has no RCA out, there is no way i can get a pre-amp signal to my sub amolifier.

Since my sub amp has high level inputs, i can directly connect my rear speaker wire output to my amp.

I can also, take a high low convertor and feed my amp with RCA input but that doesnt seem logical since my amp already has high level inputs.

mailskobe

Refer to my post above. Damn I should work for crutchfield. HEHE JK. I love thier support. Best part is its free and they know exactly what they are talking about
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby indiglosolara » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:54 pm

i do alot of stereo installation and i did alot of the amp hook up with stock headunit.. (i do this as a hobby) i custum installed my entire system. if you are goin to be running the jbl 600.1 i suggest that you run it to your rear speakers and use bass blockers.. if you run the rear SToCK jbl speakers in the solara to the amp you have a BIG chance of blowing the rear 6x9's.

this is the step that i would take:

Purchase Bass Blockers and use them on the 6x9 positive wire only. about 9.99 at best buy or u can find it online for cheaper.

use the RCA converter about 20.00 or cheaper online and have the wires run from the rear speakers wires( be sure to run them before the bass blockers so that they wont effect the amp power output)

run RCA's to amp and Remote wire?? since the solara stock unit doesn't have a remote turn on wire and doesn't have the auto ant. u can find a safe turn on and doesn't put too much high output power to the amp. my friends always use the auto mirrors since they turn on only when ur car is on. or you can hook it up to the 12volt cig power outlet.(nigger chance of blowing a fuse) mirrors are safer since you dont use the mirrors so much.

and whaa laaa.. you have the amp hooked up.. u can control the bass with headunit and gain on amp. if you like to play ur music high.. what u can also do is. use bass blockers for front speakers. that will eliminate all bass from mids in ur car and have the subs be the only bass you have.

if you want a NICE system... and willing to spend the money... i'd go with changing the speakers and headunit.....

This is my suggestion....

anyone correct me if im wrong on any info....

Ken

the would be the easiest set up if you dont want to spend so much.
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby mailskobe » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:08 am

Damn, I typed a 500 word reply and it gave me an invalid session
So here goes again, though I doubt if it will be 500 words again:

Iazuncupidi thanks for your detailed post.

Here are some of my thoughts:

I don’t think that tapping the signal from the rear speakers will blow them up if you don’t use bass blockers. The reason being, that after tapping or before tapping, there is no difference in the signal that the rear speakers receive, they receive the same signal in both cases. All that you are doing is providing an input to the sub-amplifier and the output of the sub-amp never goes anywhere but to the sub-woofer.

I don’t think I need the RCA input too. Since my amp already has a provision to take high-level inputs. It basically has the functionality to do what the RCA high-low convertor does inbuilt.

I don’t think I need a turn on lead either (remote turn-on). This is because the 600.1 is designed to turn on when it detects signal on its high inputs. So when the rear speakers turn on the sub-amp turns on! :)

You said that I can control the bass from the head unit? I don’t see a way of doing it. The only way to control bass output of the sub-woofer is thru the settings on the sub-amp. Remember the sub-amp has a low pass filter and controls to adjust its sensitivity and output.

I don’t think I need to put bass blockers on front speakers either. True, if I do that, then the only source of bass in my system would be the sub-woofer. But I am pretty happy with the frequency classification and handling capablities of the current setup and like the bass coming from the the front and rear speakers.

Thoughts? Corrections? :agrue:
Thanks,
mailskobe
mailskobe
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Yanks0114 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:52 pm

mailskobe wrote:You said that I can control the bass from the head unit? I don’t see a way of doing it. The only way to control bass output of the sub-woofer is thru the settings on the sub-amp. Remember the sub-amp has a low pass filter and controls to adjust its sensitivity and output.

You can also control the bass from the headunit. Just like you can control the treble or the fade or anything like that.

As for blowing the rear speakers, it won't happen if you don't change your listening sytle but you are going to have an insane system, you are probally going to play it louder. When its louder you wont hear distortion from the rear 6 x 9s but it might still occur. The sub bass will be louder than distorted 6 x 9 bass.

Bass blockers aren't a bad idea, but the real way to do it would be to put it on the front speakers also. Now you are talking $40-60 in parts plus a few hours of work. Its more effective to get a nice headunit instead.

I didn't know the BP600.1 would turn on automatically, thats an awesome feature.

Good luck man. Glad to see you doing your research before you jump into anything
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby mailskobe » Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:12 pm

Hey Yanks,
You sure can control the bass, mid and treble from the head unit. but thats the bass/mid/treble control of the front and rear speakers. You cannot control bass coming out of sub with the headunit controls.

As for blowing the rear speakers, it won't happen if you don't change your listening sytle but you are going to have an insane system, you are probally going to play it louder. When its louder you wont hear distortion from the rear 6 x 9s but it might still occur. The sub bass will be louder than distorted 6 x 9 bass.

i dont quite understand what you say here... if properly tuned, the sub shud perfectly complement my existing system, so i wont really have to play it loud or otherwise.

yeah the turn on feature is awesome and logical!!

as per me researching, well thats by my habit and academic training :D That aint necessarily a good thing :o
mailskobe
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Yanks0114 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:30 pm

What I was saying was that picture this... You just get your new subs in, of course you are going to want to crank them up.

Well before the subs, you would crank the sound up, and if it distorted from too much bass, then u'd lower to volume. Now after the subs the bass is going to be too loud and too clean for you to even hear or feel the 6 x 9s and their bass, you won't know if they are distorting. Not very likely, but it could still happen
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby mailskobe » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:35 pm

ok got it!
nah.. i dont think thats going to happen :angel:
i aint loud kinda guy :bday: , just want to hear the low frequencies that i had been missing on my rear speakers. thats why i got the sub. my guess is ppl wont even know that i have a sub.

well if you are talking about days when its sat night, few beers, sunset strip, few ppl in the car... well :evilbat: then maybe, but then what stays intact on such days/nights! :D
mailskobe
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5