[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Replace Subwoofer in 2000 Convertible Solara
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Replace Subwoofer in 2000 Convertible Solara

Replace Subwoofer in 2000 Convertible Solara

Postby maroon5sux » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:27 pm

Hello,

I've searched the net and SolaraGuy for the terms including replacing the subwoofer in the 2000 convertible Solara. I found one post on Tnation that basically advises against "replacing" the subwoofer.

I'd like to replace the sub - it appears to be 9"

I have disconnected from the amp for now because it is blown.

Could someone please point me into the right direction for finding the right replacement speaker and confirm that it's a 9" that I'm looking for.
I believe the rest of the speakers are JBL.

All help is appreciated, Thanks :D
maroon5sux
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby maroon5sux » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:50 am

anyone? anyone?
maroon5sux
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolaraGuy22 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:11 am

Solara doesn't come with a subwoofer are you talking about your rear 6x9's?
SolaraGuy22
SolaraGuy Pimp
SolaraGuy Pimp

Postby maroon5sux » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:53 pm

I don't really want to have to take a picture, but
the 2000 Solara Convertible has an option for a sub-woofer -
and this one's got it - and it's blown.

I bought 2 rear 6x9s to replace the rear speakers under the rear windows --- I got next to them and they sounded fine - - -
The rattling was from a 9 inch circular speaker in the back behind
the rear seat. It's hooked up a separate amp - which apparently works fine, but the speaker sounds terrible...

I measured the speaker with a tape measure - it's 9" across anyway you measure it, so it's not a 6X9 ...

I'm assuming it's part of the JBL - but I've done my fair share of googling and can't find much, and unfortunately I'm novice at car stereos - so if anyone knows what to replace this speaker with please let me know.

Thanks
maroon5sux
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby gasolara2002 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:50 pm

SolaraGuy22 wrote:Solara doesn't come with a subwoofer are you talking about your rear 6x9's?

I does in the drop top. They need the sub for the bass.
White 02 Solara with retrofit; White 97 Land Cruiser with mods coming.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2398488
gasolara2002
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby offthahook » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:28 pm

Yes, the convertible has a sub from the factory due to the increased road noise from having the roof opened up. The head unit looks exactly the same as the regular JBL Solaras, but ALL the drop tops have a sub. As far as replacing... man I am not any help on that one. Good luck with it!
offthahook
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TRAFFICBLOWS » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:08 am

This should be in audio forum.

You're probably going to hear you should replace the factory speaker with an aftermarket model.
99 Titanium SLE... 10-yr birthday Aug '08! She's slowly falling apart... :cry:
TRAFFICBLOWS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Same issue...any luck?

Postby lupogrover » Sun May 13, 2007 9:17 am

I have exactly the same issue with my 2002 convertible -- blown subwoofer that needs replacing. Before I let some kid at Best Buy tear apart my back seat to get at it, I'd like to get some guidance from someone who has done it before. Were you able to find any advice on an audio site? I've looked to no avail. Any help would be most appreciated.
lupogrover
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Replacing a Gen 1.5 Convertible "backseat woofer"

Postby lupogrover » Fri May 18, 2007 10:07 am

So here's how this works. The woofer is located behind the back seat which you have to remove. I pulled up the seat bottom (it's held by two clips at the front, then just lifts out), then reached behind the seat back and unscrewed four flanged nuts (14mm).

There's also a plastic edge that holds the seat belts that runs along the top of the seat. You can either unscrew the three screws that hold it to the seat or do what I did -- use a flathead screwdriver to move the plastic side panels off each corner of the plastic edge and remove the screw next to the seat belt guide, then flip up the seat back like a door.

Once you have the seat back off you'll see the woofer that's held into a box by four bolts (10mm). Unscrew those and unclip the wiring harness and you've got it.

Now comes the fun part. The speaker is a JBL woofer, Toyota Part No. 86160-AA310. As the guys at both Crutchfield and Best Buy noted it's neither a standards size (9") nor a standard output (4.6 ohms as opposed to the usual 4.0). In other words, it's special and unless you're willing to either (1) replace your entire system or, (2) jury-rig some sort of replacement, you have to go to Toyota for a replacement.

I found it on www.toyotapartscheap.com for about $175, but a dealer in my area had one in stock (someone ordered it but didn't pay for it) for $207. I gulped a bit, but even on Crutchfield a decent 8" woofer is about $100, plus shipping, plus who knows what it'll take to make it fit, plus who knows what kind of wiring harness it'll need, plus who knows if it will even work with the system. So I bought the unit, reinstalled it (fit like a glove), snapped the wiring harness back on and WOW! So that's what my stereo was supposed to sound like.

Now if I can keep my partner from playing his mix tapes too loud, it'll last another couple of years until I get a Gen 2.0 or maybe even a 3.0(???)...
lupogrover
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TWINCAM » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:25 pm

Hey, I've just blown my Sub today. (2001 Conv.SLE) I too would like to upgrade instead of replacing the sub w/factory. I work for a Honda dealer and can get the sub from a buddy at Toyota for even less but, I'll prob. end up blowing it again. Let me know how you repaired your situation. Thanks
TWINCAM
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby joena » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:49 pm

How do you make a subwoofer on a mini system sound even better? I have a panasonic mini system that has 400 watts, and a powered subwoofer, but I want to make it sound better.

Re: Replace Subwoofer in 2000 Convertible Solara

Postby bballguy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:03 am

If you are faced with a blown woofer and do not want to shell out $150 - $200 for a new one, I located a place in Florida that rebuilds speakers and gives a one year warranty. I expect mine to arrive next week and will report back on the repaired speaker. :o
bballguy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GoRedCar » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:28 pm

bballguy wrote:If you are faced with a blown woofer and do not want to shell out $150 - $200 for a new one, I located a place in Florida that rebuilds speakers and gives a one year warranty. I expect mine to arrive next week and will report back on the repaired speaker. :o

I am ready to replace the Subwoofer in my wife's 2002 convertible. How did the re-building work out? Can you supply the particulars?
GoRedCar
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby tabicasa » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:22 am

How to connect a car subwoofer to a home amplifier? How would I connect my 12" car subwoofer to my Kenwood KA-128 home amplifier. It doesn't have a pre-amp sub output, it has a bunch of the regular inputs, 4 speaker outputs, and 2 system control jacks. I want to hook up the car subwoofer so that it only plays bass, but when connected to one of the speaker outputs it simply acts as a speaker. Is this do-able?
tabicasa
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby JKent » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks to lupogrover for getting me started in the right direction. My Solara is a 2002 but seems the same.

The 4 nuts holding the back seat on are 13MM. Before you can pull the seatback off, you must remove the plastic assembly across the top that holds the seatbelt guides. It is held on by 3 phillips head screws that are hard to find but easy to remove.

Best way to remove the woofer is with a SHORT 10MM socket wrench because there is a brace across the back of the car, right in front of the top screws.

Looking for a new speaker is NOT that easy. I tried. The original JBL 86160-AA310 has a double voice coil, so there are 4 wires going to it. The design is unusual--9" diameter with 4 mounting ears. The plastic box it mounts to is only 3" deep. The fact that it’s rated 4.6 ohms is no big deal—a 4 ohm speaker is just fine. So’s a 6 ohm speaker. The problems are the physical dimensions and the 4-wire hookup.

So you have 4 options:

1. You could buy Toyota Part No. 86160-AA310 for about $200—a total rip-off for such an unimpressive woofer.
2. Find another 8” or smaller DUAL VOICE COIL woofer that has two sets of connectors and is no more than 3” deep, and fabricate an adaptor plate. Basically a piece of plywood or plastic with a hole in it the correct diameter for the new woofer. screw the adapter to the plastic housing, being sure to caulk it well to avoid vibrations.
3. Send your woofer to a reputable repair shop like Millersound in PA to be repaired.
4. Repair the speaker yourself.

This last option has been used by vintage speaker fans for many years. What has (usually) happened to the woofer is “foam rot.” The foam ring (called the surround) that attaches the paper cone to the metal frame has deteriorated. This is a design flaw in a car speaker, IMHO. The surround could have been made of butyl rubber, which does not rot and would do better in an inhospitable environment. Fortunately, the surround can be EASILY replaced. You just have to buy the correct “kit” from an outfit specializing in such things.

Again, JBL screwed the consumer. The non-standard impossible-to-replace woofer has a non-standard hard-to-find surround. They did NOT want you to DIY!

Several sellers have the correct surround. I always buy surround kits from M_Sound. This site has step-by step instructions and a link to his ebay store. You can just email him and ask for a kit for this speaker. It will cost about $13. http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

There are other sellers. I found one offering the kit for $13, another for $25 and another for $50!!! To repair ONE speaker!!! And these are reputable outfits. Do yourself a favor and go with M_Sound.

So I bought the surround from M_Sound, repaired the speaker and reinstalled it. The repair itself takes an hour or so, then you let it dry overnight. Because I did not care for the boomy sound of the JBL sub, I put some dacron polyfil (from a fabric or craft store) in the enclosure to try to dampen it a bit.

That’s it! It cost me WELL under twenty bucks and the hardest part was getting the seatback out![/size]
JKent
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5