[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Infinity vs. Alpine
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Infinity vs. Alpine

Postby hskrsolara » Sat May 12, 2007 11:26 pm

I have had great luck with my clarion hu, although it is a little outdated now, look into their lineup on crutchfield.
99 DWP SEV6 5spd 6.5psi+Meth, Tein+Tokico, EricSol+Brembos+EBC, OBX Headers+OBX 3" Exhaust, Supra MAF & 330cc, Spec 2+, Fidanza, TRD lip kit, Injen+Ext, Optima Red, Infinity 60.5+693.7i, 2 Kappa Perfect 12 VQ's+iPod+JVC DVD...etc
hskrsolara
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Aotoyota » Sun May 13, 2007 9:05 am

with speakers, I have found that the Infinity speakers are usually more bright and after a while it hurts my ears. Alpine's are also but not as bad.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Duffman » Mon May 14, 2007 2:58 pm

flipside wrote:Well, originally I was going for an all Infinity setup but I started looking some more and Alpine has started looking good. I'm pretty much certain i'm going to go with an Alpine head unit no matter what brand I go for. I was looking at the Type-R subs but they seem pretty expensive. The Type E's got good reviews on Cruchfield so I figure I might give them a shot.

As for regular speakers, I was planning on getting a 5-1/4" Alpine component set and some Alpine 6x9's for the back. However, I saw some comments from people that said I should just get front speakers since I am getting subs and I don't really need aftermarket rear speakers.

So, what do you think? I'm really just debating on weather or not I should get rear speakers b/c if I don't, I don't need as big an amp to power all 4 speakers.

Flipside - I did the same setup on my Solara - 5 1/4" Components up front, 6x9" Coax in the rear, with a 12" Alpine sub and ampifier. I'd suggest going with the R series of speakers, as the quality is a bit better in these than the S or E series. The X series is, in my opinion, overpriced unless you're doing shows.

I've never heard anyone other than our one nay-sayer here speak ill on Alpine's units.
2002 Toyota Solara SE V6 5-Speed
2005 Pontiac GTO 6-Speed
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS
Duffman
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby flipside » Mon May 14, 2007 6:07 pm

Ok guys, I think I am going to go with Infinity. I just feel that its not as common as Alpine and it looks just as good.

Another thing, how do I go about buying a ported box for my subs? I hear that is has to be tuned right. Do I just look for a ported box that has the recommended volume that my subs should have? I was looking at this box and it has 2 cu. ft. per sub which is what Infinity says the subs should have. Would that work or what?
flipside
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:04 pm

Do NOT buy a generic ported box... Spend the bit extra and have one built and tuned properly to your sub's specs... it is WELL worth it, and will make ALL the difference in the world (the enclosure can make JUST AS MUCH sound difference as the subwoofer itself)...

I don't even advise using store bought SEALED enclosures without a bit of prep work (gluing every inner seam, spray painting the interior to properly seal it, and stuffing it with poly-fluff), let alone ported...
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby cklinh » Mon May 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Which sub? Kappa or Kappa Perfect?

I was deciding between the two and went with the Kappas because it's a newer model (even though the Perfects are supposed to be better)...
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby aleki2424 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:36 pm

flipside wrote:Ok guys, I think I am going to go with Infinity. I just feel that its not as common as Alpine and it looks just as good.

Another thing, how do I go about buying a ported box for my subs? I hear that is has to be tuned right. Do I just look for a ported box that has the recommended volume that my subs should have? I was looking at this box and it has 2 cu. ft. per sub which is what Infinity says the subs should have. Would that work or what?

totally agree. i've been running my infinity components for quite a while , and they have by far the most decent sound i've had ; so usage-wise, i would think that they last long too- and look good too at the same time as quoted by flipside..
ps: alpines are just plain overrated , thus priced more , even if they dont sound better at all .
aleki2424
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:50 pm

aleki2424 wrote:totally agree. i've been running my infinity components for quite a while , and they have by far the most decent sound i've had ; so usage-wise, i would think that they last long too- and look good too at the same time as quoted by flipside..
ps: alpines are just plain overrated , thus priced more , even if they dont sound better at all .

Do a bit of research dude...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RDDtB2x4QB ... =500SPR17C
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RDDtB2x4QB ... y=Infinity

For the EXACT same retail price, the Type R walks ALL over that Kappa for sound quality, build quality and versatility...

In all fairness, the Alpine Type R is intended to be amped for best results, and the Infinity Kappa is geared more toward producing higher output straight off stock or aftermarket decks... Once amped, there is literally NO comparison SQ wise, and the output is about the same. With that said, the Kappa Perfect is more comparable to the Type Rs, and the Alpine Type S is actually more in-line with this Infinity for SQ and output... Let's see what that costs retail, shall we?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RDDtB2x4QB ... 500SPS17C2

Where do you get Alpine being "more expensive" when a pair of $99 Alpine speakers is MORE than comparable for SQ and about in-line with the ouput (the Infinity still has the lead here by a margin) with a pair of $149 Infinitys?
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:55 pm

cklinh wrote:Which sub? Kappa or Kappa Perfect?

I was deciding between the two and went with the Kappas because it's a newer model (even though the Perfects are supposed to be better)...

Bro,

Depending on what amp you're using the Kappa Perfect is DEFINITELY superior to the standard Kappa...

The standard Kappa is a pretty nice sub though, so I'm sure you'll be very happy with your choice. Just make sure to power it right and enclose it properly and you'll be set.
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5