[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Stock HU
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Stock HU

Stock HU

Postby variant » Sun May 27, 2007 11:36 am

Hey guys,

For some reason, a couple of days ago when I got in my car and turned on the CD player, it spun the disc and then ejected it, it was a burned CD so I thought maybe it doesn't like the specific cd brand, so I tried a different brand cd that HAD worked before, still the same thing, then I put in a real/bought CD, still didn't work. All the CDs were scratchless.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
variant
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:43 am

Sounds like the lens is dirty. The unit should pretty easy to disect if you have a bit of mechanical skill (unless they're put together with studs or stars)... just break it down 'till you can access the reading lens with a DRY Q-tip and gently swab it. Spray it with canned air to get rid of any remnants, put it back together and you're good to go.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby variant » Sun May 27, 2007 12:12 pm

How about one of those lens cleaning CDs?
variant
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:35 pm

They don't do anything... complete waste of money. I have no idea why they can even get away advertising them as they do, it's as close to false advertising as you get...

My method is a true PainInTheAss, but it's the only method that will really work.

Another option is to buy a new headunit... Time to upgrade?
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby variant » Mon May 28, 2007 11:12 am

Would you know where the tutorial to pop out the headunit is?
I recall there was one with instructions on how to change the color of the backlight too, can't seem to find it now.
I wanna try the manual cleaning and if that doesn't work I'll buy someone's used stock HU.

I don't really want aftermarket because, aesthetically, the stock looks quite good, even compared to the aftermarket, and quality wise, with my iPod or even with the CD player(when it worked :P) it was good enough for me, and it's cheap :P.
variant
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5