[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Head Units
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Head Units

Head Units

Postby Orefus » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:54 am

Well, its summer, and with the flow of money i will be getting I decided to redirect some of it into my car. Starting with the head unit, im going to upgrade my system. I listen to rock/rap/techno, and i dont know squat about systems. Im looking into something that will deliver more power to my speakers, and has a intricate design. Best bang for buck deal so to speak.Also, an ipod interface or a adapter would be cool.
Orefus
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MCOjerry » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:00 am

When you ar elooking, lok for an iPod interface rather than just an aux port. Usualy an interface will allow you to see the iPod controls/songs on the HU. Other than that...I can't help you much :lol:

Good luck!
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby LatinDragonXJC » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:03 am

Start doing your research on Crutchfield.com, then look at what fits your budget and car based on the best ratings/reviews.........and finally, find it cheaper somewhere else like Ebay from a respected seller.
LatinDragonXJC
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Location: Chilltown,Jersey City, New Jersey, United States, North America, Earth, Galaxy, Aliens Belly Button

Postby blaK » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:25 pm

How much do you want to spend?
Want touch screen?
Will you add amps later?
WTF WITH ALL THE HUGE SIGS??????
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Orefus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:09 pm

200 bucks ish, adding amb and 2 subs.
Orefus
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby rollaevo99 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:31 pm

for head unit I would say Alpine's
2004 Solara Sport SE V6 Lunar Mist
TRD Body Kit
Eibach Springs
35% Tint

rollaevo99
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Orefus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:38 pm

what does RMS and Peak power correspond to. Should i look at the higher the better?
Orefus
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby lgerstel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:05 pm

RMS corresponds to the continuous power the the unit can put out and peak is how much power it can put out for very short peaks like a loud kick drum or guitar chord.

The cassette deck in my 2002 stock JBL system died and I used that for an XM interface. Until I found out about the inline antenna interface for the XM Roady, I was looking to replace my head unit. I had pretty much decided on the Alpine CDA-9883 head unit. All of my aftermarket units have been Alpine (since 1984) and have always been pleased with them.

That unit lists at 199 at crutchfield
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cdfQcV3vnl ... DA9883#Tab
and has three sets of preamp outputs along with a 4x18 rms/50 watt peak amp built in. One of the preamp outputs is for a subwoofer and the unit has built in filters that you can set so that the deep base doesn't go to the regular speakers once you install the subs and amp.

Just be careful, if you have the stock speakers that amount of power can blow them. So until you replace the speakers, keep a close ear out for speaker distortion, which means you may be pushing them to far and almost to the point where they MAY blow.

I don't know what sound level you are looking for, but if you add a 100watt subwoofer to the above, that setup should suffice for almost anyone volume wise. I don't know if you have a coupe or convertible, but with the top down cruising on the interstate the 300 watts (4 x 50 peak, 1 x 100 subwoofer) of the factory JBL system is plenty loud for me listening to old school punk/ new wave.

HTH,
Len
lgerstel
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby RichD978 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:23 pm

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/818696
VOTE FOR ME FOR SHOWOFF OF THE WEEK
RichD978
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5