[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Factory JBL CD Problems / Metra JBL Harness Sound Quality
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Factory JBL CD Problems / Metra JBL Harness Sound Quality

Factory JBL CD Problems / Metra JBL Harness Sound Quality

Postby chrono807 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:38 am

Hi everyone... I had a whole post typed up explaining my situation, and my internet is terrible, so this is heavily shortened. It's probably better that way.

My factory JBL CD player usually reads CDs just fine, but sometimes they sound scratchy. This happens frequently with CD-Rs, infrequently with original CDs but it does happen. Occasionally it won't read CD-Rs entirely. I don't know if that happens with original CDs because most of my CDs are burned. Any thoughts?

Has anyone used the Metra harness that allows you to connect an aftermarket head unit to the JBL amp? How does it sound?

Obviously our factory JBL systems have a little bit of kick to them (compared to anything else I've owned anyway). I love the bass response, I love how the highs aren't muffled, I just love the way the factory stereo sounds.

With the factory integration harness, is it going to sound exactly the same, or will it depend on the deck?

Will the deck need to have a high-pass filter, or does the JBL amp already have one tuned to the proper frequency?

If the deck needs to have an HPF, what frequency would it need to be set to in order to preserve the factory sound?

Any recommended brands? The dealer told me the factory JBL-branded radio is manufactured by Fujitsu-ten, so does that mean an Eclipse deck would provide a better integration than, say, a Pioneer?

I'll start with those... I'll admit that I'm completely anal about keeping everything sounding the way it did when I bought it, so I might have other questions after.

Thanks in advance!
chrono807
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby icelove82 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:49 am

Most people say factory deck sucks and I agree. Toyota factory decks usually don't read CD-R very well. I had problem with our sienna and camry.
I am using JVC on my solara and I am quite happy with mine.
Shop installed it for me, so i don't know anything about wiring.

Good Luck
icelove82
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby the lost solara » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:25 am

yes I have a jvc too its ez just pull out the factory off to the right there's 2 plugs that connect the factory deck's single plug the harness plugs into those plugs you do not need a face plate kit just mount you new deck to the brackets thats on the factory all you will need is a metra pocket and it mounts under your new deck oh also take care when removing the screws they are screwed down real tight to the factory deck
and it's all over
the lost solara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby chrono807 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:32 pm

the lost solara wrote:yes I have a jvc too its ez just pull out the factory off to the right there's 2 plugs that connect the factory deck's single plug the harness plugs into those plugs you do not need a face plate kit just mount you new deck to the brackets thats on the factory all you will need is a metra pocket and it mounts under your new deck oh also take care when removing the screws they are screwed down real tight to the factory deck

I'm sure it's a nice easy install... I used to own a '97 4-door :D had the tape deck swapped with an Eclipse aftermarket in 20 minutes.

That didn't have the JBL though. I was specifically asking about the JBL integration harness's sound quality with an aftermarket deck.
chrono807
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Midias » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:54 pm

I had the same problem with my JBL I swapped it out with a single din kenwood that has a usb input on the front I love it prob fixed. It is very easy to change out. Just get a kit to fill the second din with a tray and a wire harness adapter from bestbuy. You even use the factory mounting brackets it could not be easier. You will have to bypass the factory amp but once again still easy. All you need to do is find the 2 connectors that look like the ones that came with the harness you got from who ever. They are off to the right behind the stereo unplug them and plug in your new unit.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby the lost solara » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:33 pm

sound quaility is a little better but if you new head unit is high powered you get distortion at the highest volume level other than that sound good oh by the way you new headunit will run hotter be cause the factories are 2ohm speakers
and it's all over
the lost solara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Duyquach » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Quick question: When you burn your audio CD's does the buffer level of the burner shift up and down?

That was my problem when I heard scratchy, stops, etc. on my burned CD. Instead of burning it at full speed, try burning it at half the speed.
AIM: Duy Quach
2006 Toyota Solara SE i4
Duyquach
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5