[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Stock 6 disc player not reading and scratching cd's?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Stock 6 disc player not reading and scratching cd's?

Stock 6 disc player not reading and scratching cd's?

Postby Snake2715 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Hello,

I picked up my 2000 SLE last night... On the way home I hit the load button and popped in a CD. It sounded as though it was trying to read the CD for a short bit and spit it back out...

I did this a time or two more and it still the same issue.

I noticed now there is actually a small circle on the bottom of the CD I inserted. I then got home and took an older CDR (no reason to ruin any other CD's) and popped it in.. It also came out with small circular scratches on the bottom of it.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on? I did a search and couldn't find anything on this symptom..

I am half tempted to rip it out and try to clean it etc.

Thanks.
Snake2715
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby mcmullin77 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:16 pm

I had the same problem with my deck. its a 99' when i put a cd in most of the time it wouldnt read it or when it did read it would skip. even when i inserted a brand new disk in. i tried cleaning it and what not but never worked so i just ended up ripping it out and putting a new deck in.
mcmullin77
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby blaK » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:42 pm

Change head unit and call it a night :)
WTF WITH ALL THE HUGE SIGS??????
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Snake2715 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:35 am

Well,

I went home and had some time... I took a compressed air can (for cleaning Keyboards) and hit the load button. Shoved the hose in there a small bit and sprayed it all out.

Then I found it to be at least reading cd's after every second load. I used a CD cleaner (With small bristles) and it seems to have helped a lot.

This morning it spit one back out at me and I loaded it again and it played fine. The semi circle scratches that were happening are still bothering me... Its almost as though the spinner (whatever its called) is coming up in the wrong spot or the CD is being placed in the wrong spot and getting scratched. Good thing they are all CDr's.

I am going to clean it a time or two more and maybe pop it out and take a look inside.

Anyone else have the scratches issue happen?
Snake2715
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:47 pm

Either swap the CD drive out of a brand new Toyota or Scion if you want to keep the in-dash changer, or get an aftermarket (e.g. Alpine, Pioneer) CD player since I've had issues with burnt CDs and doesn't do CD-RW.

Then again, I just threw in the towel when it started skipping and Toyota wanted $500 for a brand new factory head unit, when a $120 Pioneer easily whooped its aas in quality, sound reproduction, gives me dashboard storage AND it has a remote control :D.
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5