[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - how to wire my subs up
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

how to wire my subs up

how to wire my subs up

Postby Fusion.421 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:47 am

i have an older kicker kx1200.1 amp and 2 10" inch 2 ohm kicker l7's. I was wondering if i should wire it 2 ohms or 4 ohms because the peak is 600 a sub so i dont need all 1200 watts. If anyone has a similar set up and could tell me which way works better, also if anyone has heard those subs in both a ported and sealed box, which one sounds better.
Fusion.421
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolaraPete » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:24 am

According to Crutchfield.com that amp is 1ohm stable. To get the most power out of your amp, wire the subs in parallel (1ohm). You can also wire them in series (4ohm), which would have more clarity and the amp will run a bit cooler. I'd try it in series first, and if its not loud enough go with parallel.
'99 S/C'd 5spd: 6psi-KYB/Intrax-Kaminari-Renova- 2.5in w/TRD muffler-full Injen CAI w/crisp-mongo filter-Walbro 190-305cc-Jim's fuel-torque rod-8mm Magnecore-EGR delete-ACT 6-puck-AEM wideband-SAFC2-Supra/ES300 F+R brake conversion
SolaraPete
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:06 pm

The L7s need the power... you're going to need to wire them parallel (into a 1Ohm load on the amp) to get the most out of them. Wiring them 4Ohms will have no benefit except the cooler amp portion, however that amp is intended for the job so it will do fine.

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Fusion.421 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:15 am

i wired the subs parallel by wiring one possative to a negative then the other two to the terminal on the back of the box. there is 2 subs so there is 2 terminals and with the wires coming out of the terminals i just twisted the two posative and two negative wires togather and stuck them in the amp becasue its only a 1 channel. is this right? after a few minutes of playing them it starts to smell pretty hot so im worried that im frying my amp but i shouldnt be becasue its wired in parallel?
Fusion.421
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:32 am

lol dude, it sounds like you ran part of it in series and cross-wired the rest...

You say they're "2ohm" subs, I'm pretty sure they are dual voicecoil 4Ohm subs (each voice coil is 4 Ohms), so you would need to wire them in parallel voice coil / parallel subwoofer configuration...

To wire the voice coils in parallel, you will need to wire + to + and - to - on each sub, then run the negative sides from each sub together to the negative on the amp, and the positive sides together to the positive on the amp.

***EDIT***

Here ya go... This should make it a bit easier for ya.

'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:49 am

Actually dude, I need more information...

First off, TURN OFF YOUR SYSTEM... DO NOT USE IT AS YOU HAVE IT...

Second, are your subs dual 2Ohm voice coils, or dual 4Ohm? I initially assumed that since you stated they are 2Ohm subs that they are dual 4Ohm wired parallel into a 2Ohm configuration, but now I'm second guessing myself...

Let me know...

-James
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby AznDragonV » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:07 pm

wat did it smell like? i messed up wiring my sub a few months ago ....and it started smoking...i stopped it jus in time..

lightly push in the front of the sub...and if it feels gritty or sandy..it might be blown..
AznDragonV
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Fusion.421 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:42 pm

their dvc 2 ohm and i think it says on their you can have them at 1 ohm. I wired the subs exactly how the instructions from kicker said to get a 4ohm load at first so i could see how they sounded like that before i went to 2 or 1 ohm. i havnt noticed the smell today and last night, and i was playing them way louder last night then i have been the past couple of days. would the fact that the amp was sitting around not being used for a while have anything to do with it, like if it got some dust built up inside and thats just getting hot and burning up?
Fusion.421
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby AznDragonV » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:19 pm

did u check if there was the sandy grittness when i push in the front?
AznDragonV
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Fusion.421 wrote:their dvc 2 ohm and i think it says on their you can have them at 1 ohm. I wired the subs exactly how the instructions from kicker said to get a 4ohm load at first so i could see how they sounded like that before i went to 2 or 1 ohm. i havnt noticed the smell today and last night, and i was playing them way louder last night then i have been the past couple of days. would the fact that the amp was sitting around not being used for a while have anything to do with it, like if it got some dust built up inside and thats just getting hot and burning up?

So each voicecoil is 2Ohm?

Damn man, that sucks... If that's the case you can either wire them together in .5Ohm or 2Ohms... So you can't get the most out of your amp...

Ok, so if that's the case, series voicecoils are necessary, then parallel the subs together... In order to do this, you DO wire ONE voicecoil positive to the OTHER voicecoil negative (on both subs), then wire the extra positive and negative leads in parallel to the amp (sub 1 + to sub 2 + to amp +, sub 1 - to sub 2 - to amp -). Basically, if you run a + lead and a - lead from each sub, wire them together (+ to +, - to -) and wire them to your amp.

Please double check your wiring to make sure this is how it's wired... Your initial post sounded SIMILAR, but it sounded like you may have wired the + from sub 1 to the - on sub 2...

Here's a diagram to go by...

Check you wiring and let me know what you find.

Good luck dude...

-James
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5