[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Best amp for type R's
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Best amp for type R's

Postby ZXLNT » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:58 am

Stainless, are they dual 2 or dual 4 ohms? If dual 2 you can wire in each series and use a good amp like a PPI PC 2600. It will give 600 watts bridged into 4 ohms mono. I use them on my 12 L7's 1 per speaker..

You can find the 2600's for 300 or less on ebay used.. Or if you want a big amp an old school Orion 275G4 would be awesome as well..
ZXLNT
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Traceur » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:13 am

alpine works well with alpine.

thats my .02
Traceur
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby theprodigy79 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:29 am

ZXLNT wrote:Stainless, are they dual 2 or dual 4 ohms? If dual 2 you can wire in each series and use a good amp like a PPI PC 2600. It will give 600 watts bridged into 4 ohms mono. I use them on my 12 L7's 1 per speaker..

You can find the 2600's for 300 or less on ebay used.. Or if you want a big amp an old school Orion 275G4 would be awesome as well..

He said he's running a 1241D and a 1242D, both of which are dual 4s...
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ZXLNT » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:06 pm

Well then a 275G4 would give PLENTY of power..
ZXLNT
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Definitely a nice amp as well. Many amps to consider!
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby RedLara02 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:32 pm

You guys are NUTS for telling him he cant find a good amp for $400 bucks. If you are spending 400 plus for 1000 watts its probably overkill especially since your running type r's(I run em too). Your choices for amps will boil down to an amp that puts out 1000w at either a 4 or 1 ohm final load. 1000w at 4 ohms would be ridiculously expensive and 1 ohm is not going to be expensive at all.

You can do yourself a favor and check some online forums like caraudio.com(I like this one) or sounddomain.com and I'm sure you can find 1000w at 1 ohm for an amazing price used or brand new.

Look into hifonics(not the best quality), Phoenix Gold, kicker(they all put out over their rated wattage), diamond audio. There are tons of options that can be done under 400. Just make sure the rating you look at are all @ 1ohm. Happy hunting
RedLara02
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby blaK » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:38 pm

whistle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF WITH ALL THE HUGE SIGS??????
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:39 pm

Heh... Dude, RedLara... No one ever said you can't find an amp for under $400 that will do the job... Hell, no one even said that you couldn't find a "good" one... All that was said about that was he would have to go USED to find a GOOD amp that pushes the type of power he needs to EFFICIENTLY run his Type Rs in that price range (as they are power hungry subs)...

Yes, it's VERY difficult to find an amp to run 1000 watts continuous at 4Ohms... But guess what... It's nearly AS difficult to find an amp that will run STABLE at 1Ohm pushing 1000+ watts RMS...

As I stated earlier man, you get what you pay for... So you can run your Type Rs off a $300 Best Buy amp all you want, and so long as you're happy with it that's all that matters.. But when it comes down to it, spending $400 is NOTHING for ANY "good" amp new... let alone one capable of over one TRUE Kilowatt of CONTINUOUS, HIGH QUALITY power... Diamond Audio, Kicker and Phoenix Gold have all been previously referenced, and newer HiFonics won't cut it unless he only wants to compete in burping events (their SQ sucks).

I'll gladly demonstrate the difference between a sub $400 "1000W" amp and a $1,100 1000W amp for you if you give me the opportunity...

BTW, the capitalized words were for emphasis, not "yelling", so please don't take offense.

Oh, and no doubt the Type R can run on less power and sound great... I'm currently only running 1 in my Supra off of somewhere between 300-400W RMS with the gain turned down to match my mids/highs... The issue at hand, though, is that Stainless actually desires the power to properly match with his subs. He tried your way first and it didn't work out for him, but now we're telling him how to get where he wants to be (it's always better to just go ahead and do things right than having to re-do everything again and again).
Last edited by theprodigy79 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:44 pm

BTW, welcome to the forums... I see that you've been lurking since March and this is your first post? Make sure to post an intro, we're curious to hear more about you (what you drive, where you're from, your background etc...)

Peace,

-James
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 02RedSoul » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:02 pm

Solarafreek wrote:I know you said price is not an issue, but your not going to find a good amp at the $400 range...g/l

This is 02redlara. This is my actual username. Just get em mixed up whenever I log in. Solarafreek had the first response to his question so that what I based my first sentence off of that. Its definitely a little harder to find that type of power brand new in that range but its surely possible. The main reason I say that it would be overkill to buy some top dollar amps are because he's running Type R's (budget subs). They are not SQ oriented(I know....depends on the install) but they are known for their SPL. Here are just a few to check out.

Here is something that would fit the bill perfectly at actually give you a little bit more power at about 1200w. I have heard nothing good things about US Amps so you should definitely check it out.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247826

Also brand new you can take a look at this Arc Audio amp. Good reviews about their gear too. I think this FD1200.1 would fit the bill.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249099

SOLID AMP here. Rockford 10001BD. Puts out about 1500 at 1ohm. Check out the birth sheet.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249486

And 1 more suggestion. Memphis 1000D. About 1100w at 1ohm
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249212

Also for the person that was talking about the ratings. Due to CEA rules manufacturers are required to list their specs at realistic voltages so overblown ratings will hopefully become a thing of the past real soon.

And last but least as someone else suggested go pick up a newer 1242d and try to sell off the other one. It has increased power handling and you should be able to put some good power to the pair. I ran a 10" Type R 1042d off of about 900w and I couldnt believe the output from that one sub. Not the best SQ wise but sheer output is crazy for budget subs.
02RedSoul
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 02RedSoul » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Oh yea I didnt see you mention anything about a component setup so if you dont have some you should definitely look into them because the subs WILL overpower and drown out your factory system. I know my 1 10" made it neccessary for an upgrade so thats why I'm researchin a component system now.
02RedSoul
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5