[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - XM Antenna Placement
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

XM Antenna Placement

XM Antenna Placement

Postby phillyclaude » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:49 pm

Hello,
I recently got the Audiovox XM unit, with the little button antenna. For now, for simplicity's sake it is sitting on my dash, but reception isnt super in that location.

Where did you place your antenna? Will I get a stronger signal with it on the rear deck or roof? If you mounted it on the roof, is it possible to run the wire under the weatherstripping around the back window? I wouldn't wanna do this unless its all clean and nice. Thanks in advance,
Claude
2000 Black Solara V6 5spd
phillyclaude
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby bassthrive » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:48 pm

I have my sirius antenna on the rear deck and the reception blows.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby MCOjerry » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:17 pm

Mine in on the rear deck lid, great reception top up or down:

Mine was installed at Circuit City. $100, all wires hidden and power is tapped behind dash (no plugging into power outlet).
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Yanks0114 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:44 pm

bassthrive wrote:I have my sirius antenna on the rear deck and the reception blows.

I have my XM antenna there and have had good results. The only time I lose the signal is when I drive in an area covered by trees.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby ---CAMRAZY--- » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:48 pm

My girl's gen 2.....

Not noticeable at all, and still gets reception as those ugly visible ones....
If there are any haters in here right now that don't have anybody to hate on, feel free to hate on me.-Katt Williams
---CAMRAZY---
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby PXLpainter » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:00 pm

Mine's mounted on my dash in the center close to the window and I get decent reception there as well. Only dropouts I get is parking garages and tunnels (duh) and the occasional super-wide overpass gives me about a 2-second drop.

Milt - you gotta lose that ugly window decal and get some Rain-X Latitude 1-piece wiper blades! ;)

Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby blaK » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:31 pm

PXLpainter wrote:Mine's mounted on my dash in the center close to the window and I get decent reception there as well. Only dropouts I get is parking garages and tunnels (duh) and the occasional super-wide overpass gives me about a 2-second drop.

Milt - you gotta lose that ugly window decal and get some Rain-X Latitude 1-piece wiper blades! ;)

Funny you brought that up, I just got them this sunday YaY. Night and day bro's.
No one sells them by where I live.

Sry for hijak :)
WTF WITH ALL THE HUGE SIGS??????
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ---CAMRAZY--- » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:43 pm

What do the blades have to do with this thread???

Yeah, the sticker is for the parking lot at her work...
If there are any haters in here right now that don't have anybody to hate on, feel free to hate on me.-Katt Williams
---CAMRAZY---
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby PXLpainter » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:52 pm

---CAMRAZY--- wrote:What do the blades have to do with this thread???

Yeah, the sticker is for the parking lot at her work...

Not a damn thing!! LOL!! :drinking:
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby PhreakdOut » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Back to topic...

I know, another Gen2, but this might help.

I placed mine above the rear window. I found the reception better on top than at the base of the rear window.

-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby ---CAMRAZY--- » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:43 am

The other car........

---CAMRAZY---
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby audionut71 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:59 am

I have mine on the back of the roof and the reception is better than when I had it on the front cowl. The weatherstripping on our cars is a bit of a b#^ch, but with a little patience ( and a couple of pick tools) it looks perfectly normal.
'99 Camry LE
Eibach springs, KYB struts, Alpine HU, Memphis system, Crime Guard remote start
audionut71
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby viper1400 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:28 pm

I have my sirius antenna on the top of my roof.

It took a little work though, I took the antenna down the rail of my passenger door, through the rear passenger arm rest panel, into the trunk, and then between the windshield and the frame (the wire is tucked away inside the weather molding).

My reception is great.

The reason that a few of you might have problems with the antenna inside the care is that our glass is treated with some stuff that blocks out some light. Also, putting it in the rear deck, the FM/AM antennas that are built into our windshields interferes with Satellite radio signals.
"I'll get it when i have the money..."
viper1400
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5