[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Speaker sizes
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Speaker sizes

Speaker sizes

Postby Jakecallun20 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:52 pm

I've heard that you can put different sized speakers in the rear deck like:
5 1/4, 6 1/2, 6 3/4 and 6x9 and that the fronts are just 6 1/2 is any of this right? and if not could I have the sizes that I need to buy to replace all four speakers? Thanks
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Your rears are 6"x9"s. You can place other speaker sizes (anything smaller than those dimensions), however you will need to fabricate a spacer / adapter to fit them properly.

Your fronts are 6.5", however you could fit anything smaller as well using the same methodology... I'd advise you stay with 6.5" (or the oversized 6.75") upfront and go with 6.5/6.75" in the rear as well, as the 'larger' round speakers generally offer better quality than ovals.

But to answer your question, yes.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jakecallun20 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:22 pm

ok thanks man, I will most likely be getting 4 of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Si0KMoo0FX ... =023GTX652

and some new tweeters when i figure out what I need.
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ZXLNT » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:44 am

Why not a set of components up front and the full range co-axials in back. The front speakers are allready component, I would stick with that theme..
ZXLNT
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby blaK » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:39 pm

OMG...........Jakecallun20

Yo theprodigy79, your not going to tell him what he should do????
WTF WITH ALL THE HUGE SIGS??????
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:32 pm

Sorry, I haven't been paying close attention to this thread (I usually hang around Gen2 and General topics unless I see something that catches my attention up in the recent posts).

blaK, I ain't the only audio dude on these forums bro. Feel free to add your advice as well!

Jake, the speakers you're looking at are actually decent, especially for the price, but you can do much better for reasonable, if not the same cost. If you're trying to stay around that price range, check out Alpine SPS-17C2 speakers on eBay. I put two pairs in my Solara to sell it with and was surprised at their accuracy and quality. The Infinity Reference Series 6.5" speakers are pretty good as well, and will give you more output straight off the headunit than the Alpines (but if you ever add an amplifier they will be pretty even for output and the Alpines will probably offer a bit more quality).

If you go for coaxials all around, either leave your stock tweeters alone or remove them completely (coaxials have their own tweeters, and adding more or upgrading will give you too much high end and may sound harsh).

I can't remember if the Alpine Type S speakers did (and I've never personally owned the Infinitys), but many 6.5" speakers come with adapters for them to be mounted in 6x9 spaces (I know the Type Rs do). This would save you some trouble of fabricating the spacers for the rears (the fronts should be direct fit either way).

If you do have to fabricate spacers, it's not too hard assuming you have the tools and a bit of knowledge and patience. Use 1/4" MDF and trace it out so that it fits over the rear mounts and can be secured into the factory screw holes. Once you have the 6x9 spacers cut out, trace the 6.5" speaker onto the center of it. Use a hole saw and cut out the center, then a hack saw or sabre saw to cut it to size. It's pretty straight forward, just work and patience.

If you don't have the tools, it should be pretty cheap to have someone at a local audio shop take care of it for ya. They should do this type of stuff all the time.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about anything, I'm much more responsive to that than Gen 1 topics (as I said, it's not really my "territory" so I don't directly pay attention).

Take care,

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby AChumacher » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:11 am

get 6x9's in the back. they produce a lot more bass.
1999 Solara SLE V6 (R.I.P.)
AChumacher
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby theprodigy79 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:01 am

AChumacher wrote:get 6x9's in the back. they produce a lot more bass.

That's what subs are for... 6x9s are sloppy compared to round speakers and are no replacement for subs (even a single 8" sub will produce more bass, and better quality assuming a half-way decent setup...)
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby AChumacher » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:37 am

if u don't want a sub...or can't afford one, get 6x9's. mine sound like subs.
1999 Solara SLE V6 (R.I.P.)
AChumacher
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5