[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Nakamichi CD-500 for about $125 US, is it good?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Nakamichi CD-500 for about $125 US, is it good?

Nakamichi CD-500 for about $125 US, is it good?

Postby DrLove » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:00 pm

I can get a Nakamichi CD-500 for $125 or a MB VI for $225.
I prefer the look of the CD-500. I know that theses radio looks bad but I heard years ago that it was the best products on the market. Are they still very great?

I dont mine if the radio don,t look gadget with lots of colors and options.. I want a great audiophile product.

The price seems very low for a brand new product in the box, with the remote and all the stuffs...

I think I would buy the wire harness for the toyota and go meet the guy, plug the radio to see if all is working great and buy it...

What do you think, is it a great radio?
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby akora12 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:11 pm

Nakamichi makes the best home audio amps in the business IMO. There auto line is a much newer, but still good. My friend had one of the first 6 disc in-dash decks years ago and it was diehard. I hope this helps.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:15 pm

$125 for that CD500 USED is beyond a hell of a deal, let alone NEW... Is this dude trustworthy? Make sure of it, because I haven't seen any used ones go below $250 on eBay, and new ones usually go upwards of $400...

The MB VI is an excellent product as well, but Nakamichi changers have had a lot of issues over time (although even their single disk units are known to get hot and are sometimes problematic as well)...

I'd probably go for the CD500 personally, but you really can't go wrong either way (or buy both and sell one for large profit).

But yes, I'll vouch for both units, they are definitely winners. Those deals are impossible to beat as well.

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:36 pm

Before Mark Levinson and Pioneer, that's what Lexus used to put in their cars... Although I've heard 'Michi at specialty audio stores for home stuff and sounds AWESOME, just the looks of it is kinda discouraging; looks like a low-end Jensen for crying out loud... Plus it's kind of a pity that they haven't come out with a nav option.
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Nakamichi CD-500 for about $125 US, is it good?

Postby r0w » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:41 pm

DrLove wrote:Image
I can get a Nakamichi CD-500 for $125 or a MB VI for $225.
I prefer the look of the CD-500. I know that theses radio looks bad but I heard years ago that it was the best products on the market. Are they still very great?

I dont mine if the radio don,t look gadget with lots of colors and options.. I want a great audiophile product.

The price seems very low for a brand new product in the box, with the remote and all the stuffs...

I think I would buy the wire harness for the toyota and go meet the guy, plug the radio to see if all is working great and buy it...

What do you think, is it a great radio?

For me, when it comes to audio, don't just buy it cause it has a good brand name. #1 for me functionality, #2 comes looks, #3 Price, #4 Brand. Before started looking at car decks I sat down and thought about what functions that i wanted my deck to have ie. iPod Control, USB Port, Aux Port, Sub Control, MP3 Deck. That is prob the reason why i choose my Kenwood deck and i love it. As long as you can drive everyday and love the deck then buy it, and if there is some thing about that deck that you dont like dont get it cause it will bother you every time you get into your car! well atleast thats how i feel :P hope this helps :D
r0w
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:05 pm

r0w wrote:For me, when it comes to audio, don't just buy it cause it has a good brand name. #1 for me functionality, #2 comes looks, #3 Price, #4 Brand.

#1 That unit is a truly unique platform. It doesn't have any fancy schmancy features, but it SOUNDS fantastic (and it does have all the necessary features for a true audiophile system).

#2 Oh it's ugly... It's damned near vomit inducing, and "looks cheap like Jensen" is an understatement... But when you actually hear it, and for those who actually know and understand what it's truly capable of, it's like discovering the inner supermodel in a nasty behemoth of a woman (think Shallow Hal)...

#3 That price he's claiming is unbeatable... It's difficult to find any MEDIOCRE units for that price new, let alone the gem he's found.

#4 Nakamichi has no "brand name" any more... and even when it did, only the purest of audiophiles knew it for what it truly was (others may know of it, but it never carried the impact that its competitors did). The company that once was [Nakamichi] died back around 1998, only to be purchased by an investment bank and eventually re-spawned into what it currently is today (a Chinese owned company run out of Singapore making mostly "lifestyle" systems in competition with Bose and Bang & Olufsen)... It's nowhere near the company it was back then, but they still have some quality stuff...
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby r0w » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:09 pm

theprodigy79 wrote:#2 Oh it's ugly... It's damned near vomit inducing, and "looks cheap like Jensen" is an understatement... But when you actually hear it, and for those who actually know and understand what it's truly capable of, it's like discovering the inner supermodel in a nasty behemoth of a woman (think Shallow Hal)...

lol prodigy that is one thing i agree with you on lol
r0w
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DrLove » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Thanks for your comments guys, it's really appreciate.
The guy lives at about one hour and half of my house. He told me that he will gives me a $20 rebate because it's a long ride..

I'm gonna give a try, I will try and be sure that the radio is working fine before to pay him. I guess it s a "hot" stuff, nobody would ask $125 for a product of $400 or $500 :o ... don't know what to think about this.. :o

The look is so ugly, just like you said, a old cheap Jensen.. :evil: At least it have 9 colors that you can select... but I remember the sound of this brand years ago in a demo truck and it was just amazing.. really. :angel:

I will think about it and give you news about my decision, and maybe take some pics of the final look inside the car.
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby aleki2424 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:02 pm

dosent look pretty alright , but seems like you know about what u gettin' . do post reviews when installed/done 8)
aleki2424
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bri_n_m » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:54 pm

MB VI for 225! Condition of it? I would buy it! or pick it up for me!

Look for other pictures of the cd500...that one makes it look ugly. read up on DIYmobileaudio.com some people gripe about it skipping...as with all nakamichi decks. I got a Nakamichi cd700 and 5disc changer...it rarely skips. but it does have trouble with scratched up disc...so i find myself re-buring cd's a lot more. Same with my old 45z. I love the SQ of the decks and the simple look. And geting a unit fixed may be hard...

this was my email regarding getting my cd700 serviced...

"Sorry Sir we do not have agents in USA at this moment.
Go to www.nakusa.com and try to contact any of service companies listed. They were previous Nakamichi service agents."

found a link with the color options...
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634509

and a better pic
Last edited by bri_n_m on Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bri_n_m
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby unbalancedwood » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:57 pm

i had a Nakamichi 40z it was very nice....
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:34 pm

DrLove wrote:Image

That unit is BEAUTIFUL! :D

The NAKAMICHI line is "audiophilia-heaven" in the home component arena. Not for all that "digitally processed imaging" and "theater sound" crap... but for the PURE TWO-CHANNEL sound reproduction electronic architecture that it affords.

I would buy the deck if you don't want it after your purchase. If you buy it and if you don't like it, I'll give you $125 shipped to my door. (Paypal)

If someone has an earlier cassette deck (the single-direction capstan unit with the cassette rotation reverse mechanism... I'd be up for that at a good price too. (I don't even have any cassettes anymore... but I'd sport that thing on my rack any day! :drinking: BAILEYS!)

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby DrLove » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:37 pm

FInally I bought the Nakamichi IN-DV7 with touch screen for $250.. It works, the guy plug it on a poser supply, all is working fine except that it show "parking" when u want to play a DVD.. but if I use the "video output" I see the picture on my tv.. so it is a wire for the E-Brake I guess that I need to put at the ground or 12V? what's the color of this wire?? I dont have the manual.. I wrote to the company and Im waiting the answer..

Some of you guys know what wire? I dont want to mess.. hehe

thanks
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DrLove » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:27 pm

I've found it for the "parking"..it s a ping wire that I need to put at the ground.. but no sound ,not on the radio..I guess it is because I am using a little power supply..it was working well when I met the guy...I need to try on my car tomorrow to see whats going on..maybe a setting..Im anxious.. It was working fine and then i try at home,just plug the yellow-red together at 12V et the black at ground..and the speaker and no sound still then...

I will go sleep and think about that..hope it still works..
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby woa_its_j3ff » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:51 pm

be careful with watchin DVDs while u drive man. i overrided my DVD unit in my car .. but im not goin to go watching TV while i drive, it's too dangerous. I thought it'd be fun but i've already nearly driven off the road a few times just by glancing at the screen. I wouldnt bother overridin the system to drive n' watch. cops will rip you a new one if they catch you too.
well just my .02
hope you like your 'new' unit!
where many hate, few will love,
But for those who love,
they'll see what it's like to live.

SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5