[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Replacing All The Speakers
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Replacing All The Speakers

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm actually a huge fan of Audison, VERY nice amps. Nice choice.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:23 pm

flipside wrote:Ok, I think I have a rough idea of what I am going to get.

For speakers, it will be either...
Infinity Reference 6010cs Comps. and Infinity Reference 9613i 6x9's
or
Polk Audio db5250 Comps. and Polk Audio db690 6x9's

I am having a hard time deciding on these brands. The reason I am going so cheap is because I am still in high school and I cant afford a $3,000 car stereo.

For the amp I think I might go with a Profile AP1040. It got really good reviews and it runs 80w x 4. Let me know if this sounds good.

First off, the db5250s are 5.25" speakers, the db6501s are the 6.5" version.

Second, the db6501s retail for $200, although you can get them for substantially less (they are on eBay new for $120 right now, I'm sure you can get them even less if you're patient). The Alpine SPR-17S is currently all over eBay new for $130, and they retail for $280. The Boston Acoustics SL60s are the most expensive of the bunch, but are still available for less than $170... I'd DEFINITELY choose either the Bostons or Alpines over either the Infinity or the Polks... Even $170 is a bargain for good components, and won't put you anywhere NEAR $3000.... The 6x9 coaxials for any of the above series are substantially less...

Third, I HIGHLY advise against Profile amps... They do make awefully purdy paper weights when they fry, but when they're actually "functioning" they sound like a fat man on the shitter... Go for something better, especially since you're running decent components... Any of the amps I previously mentioned are many times better and can still be had for around $300...
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Ransom8707 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:45 pm

I actually bought some Hifonics 6.5 and 6x9 speakers this weekend since I was curious on how they would sound since theyre pretty cheap. Let me tell you those things scream im running 85watts on each with no distortion. They actually start getting you frustrated after awhile :) which is good. I was actually satisfied since they do match up to my 2500 watts of pure bass, but I still wonder how long they will last since they are low brand speakers to what I understand and pretty cheap only spent 90 bucks to replace all my speakers on the Lara :D
Ransom8707
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby hari-bhari » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:49 pm

ive got dls ms6 in the front (200 or so IF you can find them) and focal 6x9s in the rear (i forget the model, but they were around 120). defintely dont get infinity, you can do much better. look into the focals, they blow alpine and infinity out of the water, i dont know about the other brands mentioned. but u can get a decent set of fronts for 150 and rear for around 100 b/c theyre not that important. as for amps, just get something with a high SNR and at least 75x4 RMS and you'll be set. i searched around and was debating whether to drop a lot of money on an expensive amp, but it turns out in the end that the money is better spent on good speakers and a proper headunit or equalizer. remember your speakers will only sound as good as what you supply to them, so if you're using a crappy HU ull get crappy sound regardless. i'd say the amp is not as important as the speakers or the HU as long as its got a high SNR and low THD. i ended up going with a 5 channel kicker (zx700.5 i beleive) and its 75x4 + 200x1 and my system pounds the ground even with the sub off, especially the front 6.5s (unless u want the crappy kind of bass u can hear down the street). like i said, its not so much about the amp as the speakers and HOW YOU MOUNT THEM. you can take 300 dollar speakers and not mount them properly and theyll sound like total crap. i mounted my speakers according to this thread http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27 and let me tell you, the difference is unbeleivable. if you dont want to go through all that , at least get the mdf rings, some sound deadener, and some clay. so just make sure u get some good speakers, ***MOUNT them properly****, supply them with good sound, and just get a halfway decent amp and you'll be fine.
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby supersoldier » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:57 pm

hey flip im in the same exact boat as you are. I already have a set of 10 inch rockford punch P3s. im looking at polk comp db6500 for interiors . they are 10-100 rms 300 peak 4 ohm . havent decided on what to run them on .
supersoldier
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby flipside » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:23 pm

Yea, amps are hard for me to decide on. I guess it makes sense to buy an expensive one that you know is reliable than buy a piece of crap that will break on the 2nd day just cause its cheap. I'm not sure, I guess i'll just keep lookin around for one.
flipside
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:09 am

I have Pioneer TS-A6991R speakers in the back, and TS-A1781R in the front mated to a DEH-P2600... I got when I was a n00b to car audio and only cared about the wattage (but don't get me wrong it still kicks ass nevertheless), but the overall quality isn't bad... The lows kick pretty well and the highs can almost break glass in some instances... All without an amp too.
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5