[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Replacing All The Speakers
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Replacing All The Speakers

Replacing All The Speakers

Postby flipside » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:32 pm

I am planning on replacing both front and rear deck speakers sometime soon and I have a question about amping them...

The front component set is 90w RMS at 4 ohms and the rear deck speakers are 100w RMS at 4 ohms. Is it possible to wire all of these speakers to a single 4-channel amp? If so, could you please tell me how I would do that and what size amp I should get.
flipside
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TadS » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Yeah. Why couldn't you? The component set should come with crossovers. You run the amp into the crossover, then to the speakers. Most component sets will show the amp a 4 ohm load.

Within reason, power doesn't matter on the amp. Good quality electronics, which affect THD, and crossover features are going to make as much of a difference as power ratings. A good 45x4 amp will out perform a crappy 100x4 any day of the week.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Astro » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:24 am

Just remember, it's better to overpower then to underpower...
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby AllShowNoGo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:32 am

what kind of speakers are u putting in the car?
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby flipside » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:36 am

Infinity Reference Components for the front and Infinity Reference 6x9's in the back.
flipside
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby AllShowNoGo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:42 am

have u got the speakers already?

amp: 50/4
75/4
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby flipside » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:45 am

No, not yet. I should be getting around $400 pretty soon so I will buy em then
flipside
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:50 am

Just make sure you pick up the 4Ohm versions, as the Reference series is also available in 2Ohms (which will pull more power out of most amplifiers, but will also put more strain on them and is not necessary for the amount of power they require)...

Any decent 75Wx4 amp will do you fine. I wouldn't go below 50Wx4 QUALITY power.

What headunit will you be running the amp/speakers off of? What are your future plans for the system?
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby AllShowNoGo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am

Well may i suggest a set of alpine type S. Ive heard these speakers and they sounded better then the alpine type Rs, and most aftermarket speakers in their price range. But hey everything is personal preference.
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby flipside » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:53 am

I'm not sure what head unit I will be getting but it will probably be the Alpine CDE-9881. I also plan on getting a set of Infinity 12" subs and an amp to power those. That is pretty much all I will be doing.

Also, I just stumbled on the Polk Audio db5250 Comp. Set and the Polk Audio db690 6x9's. They aren't that much more and got good reviews. They have 100 watts RMS so I could match them perfectly with a 100w x 4 amp. What do you think about those?
flipside
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DrLove » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:14 pm

I had 6x9 Alpine type S with a CD/MP3 alpine radio in a old 97 sunfire and the sound was clear and really powerful. Everybody was thinking that I had a subwoofer. I miss theses speakers, I sold them with the car and radio.
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:08 pm

AllShowNoGo wrote:Well may i suggest a set of alpine type S. Ive heard these speakers and they sounded better then the alpine type Rs, and most aftermarket speakers in their price range. But hey everything is personal preference.

You're the first person I've ever heard make that claim (regarding the Type Rs)... but as you said, "everything is personal preference".

I do concur that the Type S speakers sound better than the majority of speakers in their range and they are DEFINITELY worth taking a look at... They can also be had for less than many of those speakers as well... I actually installed Type S 6.5s all around in my Solara to sell it with... They sounded pretty good, so I actually purchased a couple pairs and installed them on my parents boat.

I currently run Type R 6.5s, though, and I can hold a STRONG claim that the Type Ss are nowhere near the same league... I actually decided to run the Type Rs in my Supra after installing two pairs in my friends car (I am saving my Boston Acoustics Z6s for my new ride)... I was impressed enough with how they ran directly off his CDA-9857 that I decided to get a pair for myself. I must say, though, that they really shine after amping them (whereas the Type S series are quite content running off a stock deck).

As far as the Polks go... they're alright, but you could do better for less $$... Don't go just by recommended wattages for the speakers, it doesn't matter if they are mismatched from front to rear... What matters is that you put clean, consistant power to them that is near the RMS rating (slightly over preferred, but not necessary if it's quality power).

Take a look at Boston Acoustics SL series, Alpine Type R series (instead of the Type S series since you plan to amp), Infinity References are fine as well or JL VR series sound very good for the $. Those are a solid baseline, but there are others out there as well that are very good.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:35 pm

As for amps, take a look at:

JL 300/4v2
Alpine PDX-4.100 (the only "Class D" amplifier I'd recommend for 4ch)
Diamond Audio D3 500.4
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby flipside » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:44 pm

Ok, I think I have a rough idea of what I am going to get.

For speakers, it will be either...
Infinity Reference 6010cs Comps. and Infinity Reference 9613i 6x9's
or
Polk Audio db5250 Comps. and Polk Audio db690 6x9's

I am having a hard time deciding on these brands. The reason I am going so cheap is because I am still in high school and I cant afford a $3,000 car stereo.

For the amp I think I might go with a Profile AP1040. It got really good reviews and it runs 80w x 4. Let me know if this sounds good.
flipside
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby AllShowNoGo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:05 pm

I would go for the polk audio

And prodigy79 if things go right in the next couple of weeks thinking of this setup

Hertz HSk 163
hertz HCX 165
HXS 300D

Audison LRX 1.1K
Audison LRX 4.1K
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5