[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - installing new HU help?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

installing new HU help?

installing new HU help?

Postby chrom3titan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:22 am

okay well I browsed around the forums/tuts and there was good reading material. But it was out of date (2005..) so the pics where not hosted since its been over 2 years. I just bought a JVC HU (its pretty nice) and I'm trying to rewire it to my JBL premium audio cables but the harnesses dont match.

Yeah I know about the amp bypass stuff, which i dont really understand tell you the truth. Right now what I really want to do is strip the cables and just connect the crap straight to the wires.

My JVC's harness setup is different. I can't match the colors of my new JVC to the JBL one. I tried going and finding the harness to convert but no one carries the specific model so I give up on finding a harness and I want to connect the wires straight to the other harness, if anyone can please help by linking me to a JBL diagram so I can splice the wires to fit myself and any other helpful instructions it would be most appreciated.

Circuit City said they would do it for free. but then they want to charge me 27.00 for the harness. 70$ for the thing to fill up the empty space and 29.99 for something else.. I was like wtf.. I just spent 130$ on 4 gauge amp wiring kit (I'm getting that done Friday) and over 500$ on other sound equipment, I simply ran out of money.. if you guys can please help me install this JVC to my car it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the weird wording, its 6:15 am and I still got a paper due.. thx
chrom3titan
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby AllShowNoGo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:21 am

Alright im not sure if this diagram helps but i think your car sound system is the same for a 2002.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ste ... /2125.html

If the above diagram is right just take your JVC manual and match the wires. In terms of one of those plastic deck kits i think there crap. Give me a flat head screwdriver and ill show u why i dont use them. Try to use your factory metal brackets, if your deck works with your factory brackets all u need to do is buy is a single din spacer and your done.
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Astro » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 am

If you can solder the wires together, it'll be better than using the harness.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby DrLove » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:16 pm

only better if u solder+heat shrink ,
because if you just solder and use cheap electric tape, after few years it can be loose and if the ignition or 12V become "nude", your dash will smoke. :wink: I saw this few times and it's really dangerous.
An harness will be more safe if you don't have the skills and tools to make it right.
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Astro » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:27 pm

Yeah, I thought it'd be obvious to use heat shrink. I don't know why somebody would go through the trouble of soldering and use tape... :drinking:
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Postby chrom3titan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:43 pm

AllShowNoGo wrote:Alright im not sure if this diagram helps but i think your car sound system is the same for a 2002.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ste ... /2125.html

If the above diagram is right just take your JVC manual and match the wires. In terms of one of those plastic deck kits i think there crap. Give me a flat head screwdriver and ill show u why i dont use them. Try to use your factory metal brackets, if your deck works with your factory brackets all u need to do is buy is a single din spacer and your done.

thanks man!

thanks for everyone who posted, much appreciated guys!
chrom3titan
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DrLove » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:05 pm

you're right Astro! but so many peoples use electric tape because they doesnt need to go buysome ehat shrink to make it. People usualy have the solder pen and electric tape.

So never solder and use electric tape! lol
and NEVER EVER just "twist" the cable together and put electric tape!

8) DrLove is always there for your safety!
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Harbor freight had a nice inexpensive heatshrink variety pack.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby AllShowNoGo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:40 pm

chrom3titan If run into any problems drive up to toronto and ill help u out
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby chrom3titan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:46 am

lol thanks for the offer bro!

well I installed the new HU, I boguht a regular Toyota audio harness and I tied the wires together and covered it with tape, and everything worked out great! It took me and my budy two days to research and experiment, but if I knew what I was doing it should of only taken me literally no more than 20 minutes.. My new HU is awesome!

I got a JVC something something with a remote and AUX in for my ipod :) my sound isnt too bad without an amp, but its way worse than my JBL HU, but much clearer, but thats okay since my 1400W amo and subs should be in the day after tomorrow :) anyways I just want to thank everyone here, for helping me, this is the first project like this (other than my lights) I have ever done! and I can't wait to get started on my subs!!! thanks guys!

I'm 6'5 so you can see my leg there lol [cell phone pic]
chrom3titan
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:45 am

Looks good now that you know it works solder those wires and heat shrink before some tape falls off and as wire shorts.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chrom3titan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:58 pm

I have another problem guys lol, is there anyway to hook up the stock JBL AMP to my speakers through the new HU? I have an amp for my subs but not for my speakers % tweeters
chrom3titan
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:59 pm

chrom3titan wrote:I have another problem guys lol, is there anyway to hook up the stock JBL AMP to my speakers through the new HU? I have an amp for my subs but not for my speakers % tweeters

You would have to bypass the amp that is attached to your HU. Personally I just bought a HU with a better amp than my factory JBL amp.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chrom3titan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:03 pm

well I bypassed my stock amp (the one in my glove box) to hook up my new jvc HU so now I dont think I even have an amp installed. I was wondering if I can hook up the stock JBL amp that came with my car (that has a premium sound system) to my speakers through my new JVC headunit. It sounds like crap now
chrom3titan
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:16 pm

chrom3titan wrote:well I bypassed my stock amp (the one in my glove box) to hook up my new jvc HU so now I dont think I even have an amp installed. I was wondering if I can hook up the stock JBL amp that came with my car (that has a premium sound system) to my speakers through my new JVC headunit. It sounds like crap now

Your headunit has a amp BUILT IN but the quality could be less than the JBL factory amp. To use the factory amp you need a harness that plugs into the RCA jacks on the back of your HU
I think something like this would work

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stereo-Wire-Harness ... p1638.m118
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5