[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - SUBS
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

SUBS

Postby Jakecallun20 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 pm

I used stock JBL's for a few weeks with my 1800watt mono kenwood amp with 2 polk DB subs. Seemed to do fine, but once I got my kickers installed...WOW what a difference in sound quality inside the car. I recommend getting new speakers soon too when you can.
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:36 am

Tell us a bit about what you need... What types of music do you listen to? How much space do you want to sacrifice? I take it from what you listed that you're looking for a moderately priced setup... give us your ideal price RANGE to keep in mind... What do you plan to do with the rest of your system (headunit, speakers, amps, etc...)?

A good 12" sub in a good box will usually sound just as good as a good 10" sub... 10" subs have the advantage of being a bit more responsive for music such as rock, alternative and other less bass oriented music, however 12" subs have the advantage of reaching lower frequencies and offering higher outputs, so they're better for hip-hop, rap, techno, industrial, bass music, and other deeper, more rolling bassier music... I've, personally, always viewed 12" subs as the perfect compromise between response and performance, as they can still handle rock and such very well (assuming a decent sub in a decent box), yet they have the versatility of being used for the deeper beats as well...

I ALWAYS emphasize that the box you use is JUST AS IMPORTANT as the sub you choose... You can take a high end sub and put it in a sloppy / mismatched box and it will sound like trash... You can take an entry level sub and put it in a well built / well matched box and it can sound pretty good (usually far better than the above scenario)... Keep this in mind...

So anyhow, tell us a bit about what you need so that we can offer you better suggestions...

Also... I really hate to say this... but NEVER listen to people who just throw products at you without finding out what YOU want / need first... There will always be biased people toward certain products, and the products they recommend may very well be excellent products... but if you can get all the enjoyment you desire eating sirloin, why pay for the fillet? In other words... if you prefer a simple setup using mostly factory equipment in your car, there's no need to spend more money on mismatched equipment that will offer you no additional benefit if you don't completely upgrade...
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DatSRBoi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:57 pm

CVRs are good for bass. I run infinity 12s in my car and no problem with response. Depends on what you get.

As much as the subs make the differences, the box are just as important.

Do not know if they sell it anymore but the old CVR dual 12s box package use to be the best sounding subs for the price when I used to work at circuit city. The new ones suck but the old ones were truely nice for the money. It was two 12s in a black ported box.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby boneezy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:41 pm

the cvr's are good. put it in a well built box and those will pound. id still put the money you want to invest into the 2 cvr's and invest in one really good 12. unless you like the aesthetic value of 2 subs in your trunk then thats cool.

and id do what jakecallun recommended.. upgrade your components because with 2 12s or one high quality 12, you will drown out your speakers. i just put in alpine type-s components (front/rear/tweeter) and a clarion center channel speaker (under my receiver in that empty tray space) and it just blows my mind!

again, if your not a nut and just want good bass. those cvr's should be good for whatever you want to listen to as long as you have the right box!

have fun
1999 SE-V6 5spd
160,xxx miles
boneezy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5