[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - ipod and a 2003 Solara
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

ipod and a 2003 Solara

ipod and a 2003 Solara

Postby paperlantern » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:07 pm

hey all - newbie here. I'm sure this may have been posted somewhere, but I cant find it, so here it goes. I want to get my Ipod going in my 2003 Solara. I definitely do not want to use the FM transmitter method.
I have the JBL upgrade that was available on that model. I do not have the CD changer, however I do not know - and maybe someone can enlighten me - if I have that output on it.
I took the car to Best Buy and was going to purchase the ISimple kit, but a kid there was honest with me, and told me with Toyota's, these kits play the Ipod at a low volume. He said to hear it you need to crank the volume, and then if you accidentally switch sources, you can blow your speakers. So I am kind of clueless and stuck, and very happy to have found this site for possible input. Thanks in advance!
paperlantern
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jakecallun20 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Most guys here will probably tell you to go with a new stereo deck. You can use your stock speakers and you get the usability of a nice deck. I recommend Alpine. They make excellent products and their iPod features (IMO) are by far the best. You can scroll thru artists, playlists, songs, etc. All right from the head unit! Its great. I had JBL speakers with my last Kenwood deck, and they didn't sound that bad. I will say though after upgrading to kicker speakers things improved by a lot.

Just my .02.

Jake
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby paperlantern » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:17 pm

I hear ya on the new deck thing, but I was trying to save as much cash as possible.
I just found a post about a product from USA Spec called "Compatible Dual Aux Input" Would this work with my unit?
paperlantern
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jakecallun20 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:20 pm

It may work, If there is something that plugs into back of the stock unit and kind of "Branches" off for the factory connector, I don't see why that wouldn't work. Depends on how much these are. I have seen products like this go for $200. If that is the case, go for a new deck. You can get a nice deck and an iPod cable for $200. Since you don't need a high end deck.

Good luck and keep us updated 8)
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ThatVietGuy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 pm

paperlantern wrote:I hear ya on the new deck thing, but I was trying to save as much cash as possible.
I just found a post about a product from USA Spec called "Compatible Dual Aux Input" Would this work with my unit?

That'll work fine. Probably the only real drawback is that the iPod won't get charged.

My preferred method, however, is using a converter that plugs into the CD changer slot in the back of the stock head unit and then plugs into the iPod. I'm currently using this product: http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby paperlantern » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:48 pm

I am gonna look into both of these. I just have to find out what kind of connections I have in the back of my stereo
paperlantern
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby LatinUSMC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:02 am

i have USspecs TOY-12 model works fine /avg price 150

http://usaspec.com/ipod.html
ALL*TRD*...Revos,FSTB,RSB,Muffler+FSB.
LatinUSMC
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby paperlantern » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 am

Jakecallun20 was right! I just got the lastest Crutchfield and I see that the price of aftermarket stereos have come down, while the Compatible Dual Aux Input from USA SPEC has just about tripled from its original price of 60 bucks. So now I am thinking a new deck is the way to go. How hard would it be to order a deck from Crutchfield and install it myself?
paperlantern
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ThatVietGuy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:34 am

How good/bad are you with wires and electronics in general? If you suck at it, better get a friend that knows what he's doing :D
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby TRAFFICBLOWS » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:52 am

It's not hard at all to put in a new deck! If you buy from Crutchfield, they give you the necessary adapters and connectors all wired up so all you have to do is plug it in. Your first time? Maybe an hour total time.
99 Titanium SLE... 10-yr birthday Aug '08! She's slowly falling apart... :cry:
TRAFFICBLOWS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5