[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Question.. Will all non-HD radio die in 2009?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Question.. Will all non-HD radio die in 2009?

Question.. Will all non-HD radio die in 2009?

Postby DatSRBoi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:17 pm

So since we are switching over to digital streaming in 2009 and all anolog signal antenna will die, would that mean every regular radio will die too unless we upgrade to HD radio?

Sucks if we have to.

I know some crazy people out there still have the old cellphones that runs off anolog. And I know when the switch comes that they will no longer be in service. TV we already know, and all emergency lines are swapping over as we speak. So high chance that car radios are in trouble too. I wish the government will tell us more.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby MCOjerry » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:34 pm

The digital switch thing is for TV signals, not radio.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby DatSRBoi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:37 pm

MCOjerry wrote:The digital switch thing is for TV signals, not radio.

That is what I am trying to figure out because I know a lot of the emergency in my area runs off analog signals too and they are having to convert their entire system over.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby Gangis » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:54 pm

AM and FM signals operate on a different frequency range from UHF/VHF signals, and are not affected by the changeover to digital. Relax, you'll be fine! :)
2002 Solara SLE V6 convertible - GONE as of 3/2010
2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Hatchback
Gangis
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DrLove » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:13 am

FM is doing the job pretty well (20Hz to 15KHz) and it's well protect again electric noise. There is no real need to switch to digital. FOr TV, it's about the poor quality of signal and the huge bandwitdh that it takes compare to digital (6 MHz for each channel), FM is taking 75KHz, it's so little. It will probably still be there in 2100! Satellite (Sirius/XM) has poor bandwiitdh who compress a lot, depend of the channel/popularity/show. Lots of people complain about that, it sound sometimes like an old 64kbps MP3! I know that they do better now for most channels, but it's really not "better" to my hears. The advantage is that you can listen the same channel all over the north america. HD is about the same, no real needs for this, but if people doesn't need to pay for it, it will be always more available over the time.
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Question.. Will all non-HD radio die in 2009?

Postby TRAFFICBLOWS » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:52 am

DatSRBoi wrote:I know some crazy people out there still have the old cellphones that runs off anolog. And I know when the switch comes that they will no longer be in service.

Analog cell service (AMPS) is not required anymore of providers... Verizon and AT&T have already discontinued all analog service.
99 Titanium SLE... 10-yr birthday Aug '08! She's slowly falling apart... :cry:
TRAFFICBLOWS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Question.. Will all non-HD radio die in 2009?

Postby MCOjerry » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:32 pm

TRAFFICBLOWS wrote:
DatSRBoi wrote:I know some crazy people out there still have the old cellphones that runs off anolog. And I know when the switch comes that they will no longer be in service.

Analog cell service (AMPS) is not required anymore of providers... Verizon and AT&T have already discontinued all analog service.
yeah I have not seen an analog phone (new) for sale in a long time. I use to have a tri-mode with two digital frequencies and analog a while back, but have not seen one for sale in several years.
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby MCOjerry » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:13 pm

I hate to revive and old thread, but I didn't want to create a new one and this is somewhat related.

I never thought about this, but I came across this article today about portable TVs and not buying one in 2008 unless you ensure is is capable of receiving digital broadcasts. I have a portable TV for emergencies (i.e.: hurricanes), and I know that there are other SGs who live in bad weather zones, so I thought I'd bring it up just to remind everyone who has one; you'll need a new one and for those thinking of getting one for emergencies; make sure it will be usable next year.

It's just something I never thought of, as I only use the TV when the power goes out during hurricanes and would hate to not have the ability to watch the news during bad weather events.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-991162 ... 47-1_3-0-5

Don't buy a portable TV this year
Posted by Matthew Moskovciak | 3 comments

Sorry little guy, but your days are numbered.
(Credit: Wal-Mart)
Portable TVs can be great for camping or in case of emergency, but you're probably going to be getting ripped off if you buy one in 2008. That's because almost all portable TVs use standard analog TV signals, and those signals are going to get turned off on February 17, 2009. And even though these TVs are just about obsolete, you can still buy them at places like Target, Wal-mart and Amazon. Some of the pages have warnings about the impending DTV transition, but some of them don't.

While it is possible that someone will come out with a battery powered DTV converter--which could work with a portable TV that has inputs--we wouldn't hold our breath. The FCC's DTV FAQ page already explicitly says, "it is not anticipated that battery powered digital-to-analog converter boxes will be produced", and we haven't heard anything from any manufacturer about making one. That means pretty much all existing portable TVs will be rendered useless, unless you're using an external device to feed it video.

So what are your options if you still want to enjoy some portable TV action after February 17th, 2009? Well, you'll need to shell out for a new portable TV with an ATSC tuner. Currently there are only a few options, such as this Accurian 7-inch LCD and the Insigna NS-7HTV, which isn't even available on BestBuy.com currently. We do expect more portable TVs with ATSC tuners to hit the market as the DTV deadline approaches--which will help alleviate this problem--but right now you should stay away from almost all current portable TVs-or if you buy one, realize that it's going to lose most of its functionality in less than a year.
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5