[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - New system questions
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

New system questions

New system questions

Postby Pogs » Tue May 20, 2008 9:49 am

I just got two 1200watt kenwood subs and a 1600watt mono amp. Im going to build my own box like I have in the past. Does anyone know if I build the box and line the inside with plexiglass, will the sound improve greatly if at all? Also this will be a large strain on the battery/alternator, ill probely get a capacitor, does anyone with this powerful of a system feel that the car is alright without a cap? Just wondering, thanks in advance.

http://www.millionbuy.com/ke4.html
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby redgen1 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 pm

i have a 2000 watt lanzar amp and 2 jl w-2's

they're old jl's (replacing this summer) so i dont think they're pushin over 500watts rms tops...

i could be completely wrong mind you, but its just intuition, i got them used so i never got any exact specs, but anyways my system isnt capped and i havent had a problem yet, but when i upgrade later this summer i plan to pick a 3 farad cap to run both amps off, just have to figure out how to wire this crap now..
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby redgen1 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:23 pm

i have a 2000 watt lanzar amp and 2 jl w-2's

they're old jl's (replacing this summer) so i dont think they're pushin over 500watts rms tops...

i could be completely wrong mind you, but its just intuition, i got them used so i never got any exact specs, but anyways my system isnt capped and i havent had a problem yet, but when i upgrade later this summer i plan to pick a 3 farad cap to run both amps off, just have to figure out how to wire this crap now..
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Pogs » Wed May 21, 2008 10:30 am

Does any box builders have a say on if it would be a good idea for lining the box with plexiglass.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:53 am

Plexiglass, no... if you're referring to laying fiberglass to seal it and change the sound dynamic, possibly (this is strictly preference though, and there are other ways to go about sealing a box properly).

Wood and fiberglass have different sound characteristics... Wood (assuming used properly) is generally perceived to give a more natural harmonic sound by audio purists, while fiberglass produces a very tight, almost mechanical sound.

Also, wood, unless spray painted and glued, is a porous material, meaning it will breathe (a "sealed" enclosure fabricated from wood is not really sealed unless the previous steps are taken). Fiberglass is composed mostly of glue, so it takes on "plastic" characteristics, giving a complete seal.

So, lining the inside of your box WILL seal your box completely if done properly, but it will also change your sound properties (which probably a good thing for your setup).
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Pogs » Wed May 21, 2008 11:02 am

Thanks, greatly appreciated advice.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby theprodigy79 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:02 am

Regarding your power draw... Wired properly (subs run in parallel) you will be pushing around 900 watts RMS total (450W to each sub)... I'm guessing your realistic "usual" draw will probably be around 25 Amps (depending on your preferred cruising volume) which is definitely more of a strain on your electrical system than it's currently dealing with, but it shouldn't really bother it.

A capacitor won't give you more juice or save anything, it will just buffer your electrical system from temporary power spikes and dips... I do recommend getting one (1 Farad should be fine for that power), but if you run into power issues, your next step is a better battery, followed by new power/ground wiring. You shouldn't have to mess with your alternator for that setup.

Good luck!

-James
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1gSE » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:30 am

a lil late to the party, but i'd upgrade the power and ground before adding a cap. Voltage takes the path of least resistance...a better battery won't do much good (to an extent) if it struggles to get where it needs to go.

I think a 3 farad cap is too big. I've read .5 farad/500w rms. It's just gonna put more of a strain on the alternator trying to recharge the cap once it discharges.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5