[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Subs Cutting In & Out?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Subs Cutting In & Out?

Postby Aotoyota » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:39 pm

im thinking that if he is pushing the gain to max, the sub is shorting out momentarily and the amp is reseting itself? then once it recovers it shorts again.

with the gain at max, the input of the sub is probably square waving and is shorting in the sub. easy way to troubleshoot, disconnect both subs.

how do you have them free air? did you cut the rear deck?
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:49 pm

illstylez wrote:Okay so I have about an 8g ground wire on the amp.

what size power? I have a 2 amp set up, 4 gauge from the battery to a distribution block and about a foot of 8 gauge to each amp, and the same on the ground side. A while ago a guy at an audio place told me one of my old amps was overheating because the power and ground wires weren't big enough.....
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DevilzAdovocate » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:00 pm

1gSE wrote:
illstylez wrote:Okay so I have about an 8g ground wire on the amp.

what size power? I have a 2 amp set up, 4 gauge from the battery to a distribution block and about a foot of 8 gauge to each amp, and the same on the ground side. A while ago a guy at an audio place told me one of my old amps was overheating because the power and ground wires weren't big enough.....

You Want to have bigger gauge wires if your running a high watt amp because smaller wires create friction do to the fact they cant flow as freely to the source. Having bigger wires help but amps still shouldnt be clipping or overheating. Thats one heads up they suck IMO
DevilzAdovocate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby AllShowNoGo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:06 pm

AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby illstylez » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Wow thanks for all the input guys.

There were a lot of questions about the set up I have; please see the first post w/ the specs of the Amp and subs(wattage etc.) For those asking about pics:

As an update I turned the gain down a bit instead of all the way up. So far I have not had any clipping or overheatings yet. Ill keep posted. I really think the IBaffle set up and the gain setting had me overpushing the amp because I had the same system in my last car(minus the new HU) and in a ported box instead of the free air im blasting now.

Contrary to popular belief it sounds pretty good. I just miss the DEEPER bass you get w a box. But I have a clean bass sound and no trunk rattling so thats kinda kool. Ill keep you all posted w any changes that come up for anybody else that can use the reference. Thanks again for all the input.
Kentel " Ill " Styles
Chicago IL,
99' Solara Since 2007
" The best way to predict the future is to create it! "
illstylez
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby illstylez » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:02 am

Oky so back again. Well yesterday spent mad time(pun intended) in traffic. Amp overheated again. @ this point Im thinking my setup is just not optional. Those XPlods are not free air and I have to crank up the gain to get a decent bump.

Will be goin back to a box next summer prolle. HATE IT cuz I really put a lot of time and $ into this set up. Unless I find some free air subs Im going back w a box for a test next summer and see what happens.
Kentel " Ill " Styles
Chicago IL,
99' Solara Since 2007
" The best way to predict the future is to create it! "
illstylez
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Ruski » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:10 am

quick question is your amp just laying on the carpet? if so try lifting it off the carpet, i have my amp mounted on a 2X4 so it doesnt heat up as much and allows are flow to the amp.
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5