[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Pioneer TS-C720PRS
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Pioneer TS-C720PRS

Pioneer TS-C720PRS

Postby atclate » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Hi,

I've been looking for a set of good components for my Gen 1.5 Solara.
I came across these Pioneer TS-C720PRS, and they seems to meet my expectations, but I am not 100% sure it will fit. From their website, they seem to have 6-1/4" size, which doesn't make sense, since Pioneer advertised them as 6-3/4" speakers.
Here is the website:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/p ... 720PRS.pdf

Can anyone verify that it fits into the Gen 1.5 front doors? I'm too lazy to take out my door panel and measure :P

Actually, I would also like to ask if anyone has recommendation of what other components I could choose from. I'm looking for full range response, because I don't want a sub in my trunk, and I already have a competent amp. I definitely need a pair that have the same maybe even better bass response than the stock ones. (I like the fact that the Pioneers have 25Hz ~ 32kHz frequency response, and reviews say they are great in bass)

Thanks.
For sale: Injen SRI, Randy's CAI extension, TRD Supercharger, TRD RSB, Jim's Torque Rod, 2003 Solara SLE with TRD Body Kit
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby atclate » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:28 am

I bought these speakers. They don't seem to be as well as the stock JBL speakers... maybe because I didn't power it enough. Anyways, It is actually smaller than the hold on the door, but seems like I might need to do some drilling. We'll see.
For sale: Injen SRI, Randy's CAI extension, TRD Supercharger, TRD RSB, Jim's Torque Rod, 2003 Solara SLE with TRD Body Kit
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TLMNICK » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:07 am

If you are doing a speaker upgrade in a solara that has factory JBL installed, you must replace the entire system. The JBL system is meant to run 2 and 2.5 ohm speakers, so if you hook up a 4ohm component set, they're not going to sound good, and it wont be loud.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby redgen1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:44 am

TLMNICK wrote:If you are doing a speaker upgrade in a solara that has factory JBL installed, you must replace the entire system. The JBL system is meant to run 2 and 2.5 ohm speakers, so if you hook up a 4ohm component set, they're not going to sound good, and it wont be loud.

+1
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Duffman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:58 pm

A 6 1/4" speaker should, in theory, fit. Go to Crutchfield.com, put in your car info, and go look up that speaker set. They're usually REAL good about whether or not something will fit. If the site does not know for sure, call up their toll-free number and talk to their customer support people. Just don't buy from there; too expensive!

As for suggestions for good low-end... your rear deck is going to be where the heavy bass comes from (6x9" speakers). If you want good bass out of the doors, you might also find unwanted rattling... I suggest getting some Raamat (like Dynamat, but cheaper) and putting it in when you install the speakers.

Also, in regards to the impedance of the JBL unit... as far as I know, the JBL will work with aftermarket speakers if you bypass the factory amp. When a melted wire shorted my first Apline head unit, I pulled it out and put the JBL back in, without the amp, and it powered my aftermarket Alpine speakers well enough. Of course, if you REALLY want good sound, you'll replace the head unit, but speakers are a good start.
2002 Toyota Solara SE V6 5-Speed
2005 Pontiac GTO 6-Speed
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS
Duffman
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5