[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Replacement stereo for '99 Solara
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Replacement stereo for '99 Solara

Replacement stereo for '99 Solara

Postby pvanbuskirk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:54 am

Hi all,

The factory stereo on my 1999 v6 Solara is getting quite old - some buttons are sticking in and the LED that illuminates the radio station display has burnt out.

Do you have any recommendations for a replacement? I'm only looking to swap out the stereo - no speakers or subwoofer.

I have a starter list from Circuit City here: Circuit City Link
pvanbuskirk
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TLMNICK » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:02 am

If you have the stock JBL system, then your only real solution is to change everything. If you try to integrate the stock amp, you'll end up with engine noise, and it wont sound clean.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Donnie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:31 am

WARNING!!! Thread Theif (sorry)
TLMNICK wrote:If you have the stock JBL system, then your only real solution is to change everything. If you try to integrate the stock amp, you'll end up with engine noise, and it wont sound clean.

Damn man that's the same problem I've been having. I used my stock JBL amp with a new HU and it drives me F&$^@+%* crazy. Jeff heard it. I have a filter before the HU, one before the amp to the front speakers & one before the rear speakers. Why is this and why can't it be fixed?
Donnie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby pvanbuskirk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:27 am

TLMNICK wrote:If you have the stock JBL system, then your only real solution is to change everything. If you try to integrate the stock amp, you'll end up with engine noise, and it wont sound clean.

I'm a car novice. What does everything include beyond the stereo and possibly speakers?
pvanbuskirk
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TRAFFICBLOWS » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:04 pm

pvanbuskirk wrote:

I'm a car novice. What does everything include beyond the stereo and possibly speakers?

TLMNICK was saying, you would want to change the head unit, not use the factory amplifier, and possibly install new aftermarket amplifier and speakers.

Beyond that, there's not much else except for replacing the wiring, which unless it's faulty, will most likely be fine for your use.

Start with a head unit replacement, then see if you're happy. The stock speakers will be worth upgrading when you have a new head unit.
99 Titanium SLE... 10-yr birthday Aug '08! She's slowly falling apart... :cry:
TRAFFICBLOWS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Donnie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:21 am

^^^^^ My question was, Why can't the stock JBL amp be used without getting the whining noise? I get that it can't but it's driving me nuts as to why not. An amps an amp isn't it. Well till you get up into the big boy 800 - 1000 watts range. I would just think that with a simple new HU the JBL should work. Why not?
Donnie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TRAFFICBLOWS » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:48 am

i saw your question, but didn't respond because i'm not sure of the cause... your posts may not get as much notice if they're jacking.

newer head units will likely have as much RMS power as the original amp. additionally, there's an extra set of speaker wires in the dash so amp-bypass wiring is a cinch. afaik, the jbl amp also does some sound processing, which you may not want. so no reason to use it.

for the whining, that means interference on a signal somewhere... i have no idea. i've heard ground loop isolators can fix the problem. i don't know how you actually connect the aftermarket HU to the oem amp since there are only 5 signal wires going to the amp, and no HU has a 5-wire output.

and no, all amps are NOT the same, even at lower wattage. they can have better circuitry, more efficient, better filters, cleaner output, etc, etc, etc.
99 Titanium SLE... 10-yr birthday Aug '08! She's slowly falling apart... :cry:
TRAFFICBLOWS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Donnie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:15 am

Didn't mean to jack, thought it was running along the same line of the thread since you mentioned the JBL and the engine noise.
But thanks for your answer anyway.
Donnie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jakecallun20 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:00 am

The factory amp is ran through the factory headunit, thus it is not compatable with an aftermarket headunit. If you wanted to keep your factury HU and install new speakers, thats simple. Just install them using factory wiring. If you want a new HU and you would like to keep your factory speakers, then you'll need to bypass the factory amp. It is very simple. There is another harness in the compartment that you wire to instead of the harness FROM the factory headunit. The factory amp sucks....you really won't be able to tell weather its there or not. Then its as simple as plug and play. Also, later down the line when you are ready for new speakers, that is just a matter of cutting the old factory wire and splicing it to the new speakers.

Hope this info helps someone.
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5