[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Amps, Subs, and HU in a 2000 Convertible
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Amps, Subs, and HU in a 2000 Convertible

Amps, Subs, and HU in a 2000 Convertible

Postby solaraconvert » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi all,
My sub in my 2000 Solara Convertible sucks (sounds horrible!!! even at low volume).
I've found out that its an issue with these cars. My mom has a 2001 convertible Solara and replaced her HU and the sub issue was fixed! But I think they (the installation guys) must've just disconnected it cause I don't hear it anymore. Either way it sounds great (or good enough)!

I've been reading and reading and I'm about to tackle my pathetic flopping sub in my Solara.

After reading through here my question is this:

I just had a new HU (Sony GT820IP) installed in my car which works great with my iPod. The rest of my system/speakers are all JBL factory installed. Unlike my moms car it did NOT fix the blown out sounding sub.

So without spending anymore money I've decided to disconnect my sub by following the instuctions I've read on this site from others with similar issues. I just want my system to sound bearable-good at this point...

Questions:

1.) Why doesn't my new HU control the subwoofer as it does have sub control on its settings? Turning the subwoofer setting all the way down does nothing to my sub...is this even possible with this HU?

2.) If I disconnect the sub in the back to I need to replug any of those amp or speaker cables in anywhere else? And are there any other amps or speakers that I should worry about while doing this?

3.) Any other suggestions as I tear out my back seat for the first time ever? (again, I know a little more $ will do me wonders but I'd rather return the new HU then purchase an additional component at this point.)

Thank you all for your detailed responses. I'm not a car expert so please explain your thoughts as much as you can.

You guys are great!
solaraconvert
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby corlon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:08 pm

are you sure that the rcas for the sub amp are plugged into the sub out on the back of the sony headunit? if you want to disconnect the sub, just pull the fuse out from the power wire under the hood. as for the poor sounding sub:

what direction is the sub facing. tailights / backseat

what kind of box is it in. sealed / ported
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby solaraconvert » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

No, I'm not sure the RCA's for the sub amp are plugged into the sub out on the back of the sony head unit. I called the guys who installed it and they said my "factory installed sub doesn't have RCA's". I don't know whether they are guessing or not. I mentioned that the Sony HU has a sub out (mono) on the back of it and they said "that is for aftermarket subs with RCA's".

Advice?

Also the sub is facing the back seat in about a 15" x 9" box. My guess from reading the forums here is that the amp is in there too. I don't know whether its sealed or ported. Its screwed to the trunk from what I can see. Not sure.

UPDATE: I noticed that the outer lining of the speaker is open which seems to cause the flopping horrible noise. When I plug that up it sounds better. I called Al & Ed's autosound just now and they said that its probably cloth and foam (which it looks like) speaker and would be hard to seal. Is he right?

Ideas?

Thanks again for all your help. Sincerely!
solaraconvert
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:29 pm

i'm not fimiliar with the jbl system, but if the sub sounds blown..it probably is, but i dunno about the whole flopping issue. Can u post pix? I have the same h/u and the sub rca output are for an aftermarket amp/sub combo.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby solaraconvert » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:47 pm

I took 3 great pics and then found out I can't just upload them so I'll have to describe them for now...bummer.

I pulled the whole Sub out of the car box and all (its actually a compact little unit about the size of a small brief case and slightly L-shaped from the side. The little white 4-pin connector I just disconnected from the other black box in next to where this sub was (was that the amp?). No more sub, sounds better already...but I'd love to fix this if possible and hook it up to my HU if possible. Don't see any RCA's though...although I wouldn't know where to look.

1.) Does this sub or the amp have RCA's so I can control it from my headunit's "sub out (mono)"?

2.) Any way to fix this tear around the edge of the speaker that causes the "blown out" (or flopping) sound (whatever you wanna call it)?

The "tear" refers to the outer edge coming unglued from the outer sides of the speaker.

Sorry for the lack of pics. I just don't have a site to host them right now since that is I guess what you need to post them.

Thanks for your feedback and further help!
solaraconvert
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby LEE337 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:32 pm

Yep, sounds like your sub is blown. Use some Locktight or some kinda sealent that can flex with the vibration.
Pics on this forum go a long long way. Sign up for free at www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.com that you can upload pics to that you will be able to post on threads. Once you upload a pic you can copy the image code, [img], and paste to your thread. It helps other viewers if you resize it so its not blowin up the whole screen.
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby corlon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:39 pm

sorry. i didn't realize it was a factory sub. thats why the sub out on your sony won't work.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby solaraconvert » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:49 pm

thank you for your responses!

If anyone has any more ideas on how to seal this cloth/foam-like speaker let me know.

Also, thanks for the instructions on photos...i used photobucket! Here they are...Pics of the factory installed subwoofer of a 2000 convertible solara for all to see! I included a pen for you to see how big/small it is.

Side View. The white plug is the one that I disconnected from...?...something else behind my seat (amp?).

Front View.

This is the "tear" or "unglued part" I was referring to which goes around about 1/4 of the outer lining. I guess that is the definition of "blown" speaker.
solaraconvert
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby crispone » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:22 am

Wow... I don't even know where to begin!

Seriously, you need someone with some car audio experience and knowledge to walk you through some VERY fundamentals... and then you will have "better" questions and direction forward...

The stock sub you got is junk. (Torn or NOT... but with the TEAR? It's BEYOND POS status... lose it.)

As for the RCA's and your H/U? It's set up for MULTI-AMP control from a "low level" RCA output, that requires an AMP for the sub. I am assuming you (your shop) took the POWERED SPEAKER OUT leads and used a "high/low" level converter to run them through the stock JBL amp... OR they used them DIRECTLY back to the stock speakers. The BETTER way to use the H/U connections is to tap the RCA outs for BOTH the staging speakers, (Front/Rear/Sub if THREE RCA outs are available, OR "MAIN/SUB" if only two...) and run them through separate (or 4/5 channel amp, etc...) to drive your speakers... and of COURSE you need aftermarket speakers! (Even if MODEST level units... they will be a MAJOR upgrade from the stock paper cones which are really chintzy...)

...that having been said... if you DON'T have ANY money (or sources for CHEAP or FREE equipment) from someone to do it "right", then definitely disconnect that sub, and for heavens sake... FIND OUT how your system is now WIRED from the H/U! We MUST know your current configuration accurately to REALLY do you any good with out advice... and PLEASE find a friend or someone you can trust who KNOWS these things to help walk you through options in person!

G/L!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby solaraconvert » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:32 am

Got it! Thanks! I took the sub out myself following the instructions on an earlier post on this site.

I don't know much about stereos but I'm learning just reading your answers so thanks! I did take the sub out and its much better.

I agree I need to upgrade my speakers, etc and perhaps I will someday when I got an extra couple hundred lying around but for now this will do. I'm not looking for great sound right now, just bearable which it wasn't prior to shutting off the blown sub.

I'll try to pull out my HU to give you more details when I can.

Thanks again for your help!
solaraconvert
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby crispone » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:38 am

solaraconvert wrote:Got it! Thanks! I took the sub out myself following the instructions on an earlier post on this site.

I don't know much about stereos but I'm learning just reading your answers so thanks! I did take the sub out and its much better.

I agree I need to upgrade my speakers, etc and perhaps I will someday when I got an extra couple hundred lying around but for now this will do. I'm not looking for great sound right now, just bearable which it wasn't prior to shutting off the blown sub.

I'll try to pull out my HU to give you more details when I can.

Thanks again for your help!

^^^ Noble efforts on your part... fancy system or not. Don't let "pretentious" posts dampen your learning curve... it's good that you are figuring these things out, and especially, that you are tackling them as you go. Keep bouncing questions and ideas off the guys in here, and DO read the older posts on audio by MANY who have walked that ground before. If you stick with it... you will LIKELY become a better critic of your own sound, and eventually, find that a GOOD sounding audio system can be a BIG plus to the ownership experience of your car.

For SOME of us, we even GAGE our current and past cars on how good they SOUNDED as well as how they perform! :wink:

PS: Just to repeat... I DON'T recommend trying to "PATCH" that particular sub with an adhesive and the like... :drinking:

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby solaraconvert » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:47 am

Thanks!

And yes, I'm not trying to fix that sub anymore. Over it now.

My last car had great sound with 2 x 12" subs, 2 amps, the works and I agree that I refer fondly to that car because of the sound. But I have to forget those great sounding days or I'll go nuts.

You see, alas, I'm married now and my wife doesn't want big subwoofers in the trunk of this (our) convertible so I compromised and got a new HU instead. I slowly will purchase one thing at a time so I don't scare her :)

Compromise: definition: An agreement where neither party gets what they want.

Thanks for all the help!
solaraconvert
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:54 am

solaraconvert wrote:Thanks!

Compromise: definition: An agreement where neither party gets what they want.

\

Aint that the truth lol
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5