[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Running new speaker wire?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Running new speaker wire?

Running new speaker wire?

Postby Chewie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 pm

I have a couple of questions regarding this, I have a 2001 Solara Convertible that had the JBL system in it. It now has a JCV XG-700, Infinity Reference 6.5 seperates in the front and Infinity Reference 6.5 in the rear run from the HU and a MTX X Thunderlink 10" sub in the trunk. The system sounds so much better than the stock that I am kicking myself for not upgrading sooner.

Now on to my questions:

With the tiny gauge wires that come from the head unit itself (20 Gauge?)is it really worth the time to run larger (14 Gauge?) wire for the speakers in the cab?

Also, as you can see in the question above, if it is worth the time what gauge wire do you recommend?

I am also debating putting in sound dampening material in the doors, rear side panels and trunk, but am not sure if this is simply a waste of time and money is a noisy convertible, so feedback on this idea would me greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance everyone!
Chewie
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby corlon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:19 pm

i don't think you need to upgrade the wires unless you plan on an aftermarket amplifier for the speakers in the stock locations.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby lilm » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:36 am

corlon wrote:i don't think you need to upgrade the wires unless you plan on an aftermarket amplifier for the speakers in the stock locations.

co-signed
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby D-money » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:59 am

the stock wiring sounds great in my car with all my aftermarket stuff and my system is amplified so i think the only reason to upgrade that wire would be if you planed on entering any sound off comps
ImageImage
01 SLE V6 (Pic Edit Done by Garrryyunit)
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Chewie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 am

Thanks guys, this is what I was leaning towards, but since I am new to this stuff I figured I would solicit opinions.

Much appreciated!

Anyone have any experience with whether or not sound dampening material makes a big difference on the convertible models or not?
Chewie
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ~SolaRaSpeed~ » Fri May 15, 2009 10:50 pm

i would run 16gax4 (one for each midrange and tweeter) wire if you want to really get into running the components like they are meant to be run, but you might need a sound processor at that point so be prepared to spend. Sound dampening always makes a difference no matter where you put it in the car (floor, doors making the most difference acoustically, body panels, trunk). Rammatt is good, foose's favorite and mine dynamat, or secondskin are all good.
~SolaRaSpeed~
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TLMNICK » Fri May 15, 2009 11:33 pm

Change the wiring if you plan to add am amplifier to those speakers. The stock wiring will seem to work, but it'd be putting strain on the amp since it won't be getting current through fast enough...it'll cause the amp to run hotter than it should. As far as sound goes, you may or may not notice a difference.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby hari-bhari » Sun May 24, 2009 8:33 am

Chewie wrote:Thanks guys, this is what I was leaning towards, but since I am new to this stuff I figured I would solicit opinions.

Much appreciated!

Anyone have any experience with whether or not sound dampening material makes a big difference on the convertible models or not?

if you can afford it, DEFINITELY sound deaden your door panels, it will make a huge difference. in fact if you have the time, follow this guide:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy ... ments.html

i did all of those things and the doors hit like crazy. 8)
i would say though that the order of efficacy if you dont have the time to put the deadening on is to at least mount in on an mdf ring, surround it with clay, and put a foam dampener behind it. those three things should help a good bit.

as for running new wires, i ran mine outside the rubber tube that carries all the stock wires and over the course of a couple of years the wires ended up getting pinched and cut in between the door and the body of the car. so the moral of the story is, run them INSIDE the rubber tube with the rest of the wires. i used a straightened metal hanger to fish from car to the door, and it was a bitch. but if you dont do that, you'll end up doing double the work later.
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5