[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Speaker popping noise
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Speaker popping noise

Speaker popping noise

Postby Chewie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:54 pm

So I put in my new system and overall it sounds fantastic.

JVC XG700 receiver with the iPod controller
Infinity Reference 6020CS Seperates in front doors
Infinity Reference 6022si in rear
MTX X THunderlink 10 in trunk

One issue I have is that occasionally (Not often) the speakers in the door make a popping, white noise kinda sound and I have been able to isolate it to when it is a solid tight bass drum playing, like in country music mostly. If I play some heavy rock with looser bass or rap with heavy hard hitting rumbly bass, no popping.

My first thought was grounding issue, but I thought I would ask here since it seems specific to certain notes and kind of random.

Any thoughts?

If you need more information let me know, I tried to be as descriptive as possible though.
Chewie
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby D-money » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:04 pm

it sounds like a loose wire to me but if they are all solid your door speakers might be picking up a ground loop coming from your amp try a ground loop isolator that should fix your problem.
ImageImage
01 SLE V6 (Pic Edit Done by Garrryyunit)
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Chewie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:46 am

I am just using the amp off the head unit, so this evening I will pull the door panels off and try and isolate which speaker is making the noise, if they all are I will start looking for a ground loop isolator and see if I can figure that out.

Thanks D-money!

Any other thoughts and suggestions are welcome as this is my first new system put in a car in many moons and I do not really remember much about figuring out little niggling issues like this.
Chewie
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Aotoyota » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:26 am

what happens when it starts popping and drop the volume by one click?

sound more like distortion or square waving signal?
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Chewie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 am

So I have been doing a little more experimenting, and the JVC head unit I have has a Loudness function, and if I have a song rolling that is causing the popping noise then I turn off Loudness, the popping noise goes away. Also I can dial volume back and make it go away, which tells me this is some kind of distortion and not a grounding issue.

Which leads me of course to a follow up question, which is how do I go about trying to get rid of this? Could it be that the head unit built in amp is getting overloaded? Or is it more likely the speakers themselves?
Chewie
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Chewie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:37 pm

I talked briefly to Crutchfield and they suggested that the popping noise I am hearing is clipping as the speaker start demanding more power than the amp in the head unit can output. I am tempted to buy that as it is only hard bass notes at high volume that cause the issue, but I am also hesitant to spend more money on this system right now without a better bit of proof that this is in fact what is going on.

Anyone had this happen to them?
Chewie
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 5842solara » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:31 pm

probably to much power going to your speakers.. like too much bass.
if your deck has the application.. turn down the bass and turn up the sub.

dont waste your money on ground loop isolaters...
what $25? not really worth it.
I know many people who do compititions and no one uses that..
5842solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jetbtkng » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:57 pm

probably a blown speaker, just blew one of my back speakers today,popping like a bitchh, time for an upgrade........... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5