[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - how to hide/secure double din navigation system
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

how to hide/secure double din navigation system

how to hide/secure double din navigation system

Postby talaznfoo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 am

I just had the pioneer f700bt installed in my car. does anyone know of a good way to hide the unit to prevent/reduce chance of getting jacked? i had my audio system jacked a few times over the years so i want to protect it as much as i can. i currently tape a 5x7 picture over it to kinda "disguise" it when i park my car. appreciate any help/advice. thanks
www.cardomain.com/id/talaznfoo
2001 Solara SE, silver, 7 piece TRD kit, 19 Axis TC-Evolution, Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico shocks,reverse gaugages, euro corners
talaznfoo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby facevedo17 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 am

good luck on that one I had a JVC DD unit jack infront of my house in Jersey I moved now so I sleep better at night....I would think making a custom sliding door or something to hide it at night Ive seen this on a navigator that it hids the factory nav...

being that you went with the Pioneer I think thats ur best bet although you are never safe...
JVC is one of the few that I know that actually make a unit navi inlcuded and that the entire face can be removed...

hope that helps
[
facevedo17
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:52 am

Taping a picture to it would only make someone even more curious to know what you're hiding behind it. I would just make sure that you bolt it in (iso mount), and use different screws other than the stock 10mm bolts.

I used tamper-proof torx bits in my other cars. You can get them at any hardware store, and that should help slow the theives down. Its like having wheel locks...only for your deck.

May I also recommend a security system and tints if you dont already have them.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby talaznfoo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:44 am

i got an alarm on my car. as far as the tint goes, i got 2 tickets already from CHP (which means i tint, took tint off, re-tint, and took it off again...), so prolly not gonna tint it for the 3rd time in the front. i was think taping a picture of an old factory deck on it and try to make it look as "real" as possible....just throwing around ideas..
www.cardomain.com/id/talaznfoo
2001 Solara SE, silver, 7 piece TRD kit, 19 Axis TC-Evolution, Eibach Pro Kit, Tokico shocks,reverse gaugages, euro corners
talaznfoo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TLMNICK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:50 am

Is any type of tint legal in the front where you live?...

I say stick to the special bolts that i mentioned above, and when you leave the car....throw a sweater or light jacket over the dash and cover it. Just dont make it "look" like you're trying to hide something. I have no tint at all, and don't have a problem.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby funboy102 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:31 am

haha, one of the reason I avoided having an in-dash double-din navigation unit. I'm just too paranoid that my car will be broken into. (actually, not paranoid, my car has been broken into before)
1999 Solara SE V6 5-Speed PICS! http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=43759
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby LatinDragonXJC » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:50 am

If tinting the front windows is legal, do it. (even if it is not).

Or if you want to be creative, find a plastic piece (or painted cardboard?) that wedges in front of the display.
LatinDragonXJC
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Location: Chilltown,Jersey City, New Jersey, United States, North America, Earth, Galaxy, Aliens Belly Button

Postby kingkakyle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:58 am

california tint on front have to be really light
which is non-existant
only thing i can suggest is to make it look as stock as possible and ull have less problems?
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby corlon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:15 pm

i just took the front of a factory toyota double din headunit and place it in front of my screen. sticks out a little, but not enough for someone to do a double take. they just factory and move on to the next car.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby YESCA » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:18 pm

corlon wrote:i just took the front of a factory toyota double din headunit and place it in front of my screen. sticks out a little, but not enough for someone to do a double take. they just factory and move on to the next car.

There was someone who did that on his Gen 2 (cant remember who it was) but he said it worked out great.
YESCA
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mazen222 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:25 pm

a sliding door like some cars have would be the best option IMO
1999, 5 Speed V6
mazen222
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby funboy102 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:03 pm

mazen222 wrote:a sliding door like some cars have would be the best option IMO

The Scion tC has this... it's perfect for hiding a double-din navi unit.
1999 Solara SE V6 5-Speed PICS! http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=43759
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby facevedo17 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 am

^^^ thats what Im talking about sliding door
and add a lock to it :P
[
facevedo17
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Blank Faceplate

Postby Texas Tornado » Mon May 04, 2009 3:19 am

I was thinking of trying this idea on my Toyota NAV System; I was told it was from a RAV Faceplate.

All the passerby sees is a factory type stereo face.

2003 Solara SLE 3.0 V6 - Red
Very clean adding mods.

Mods: TRD Body Kit, Injen CAI, Optima Red Top, TRD RSB, TRD FSB, TRD Oil Cap.
Texas Tornado
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sydemoid » Mon May 04, 2009 5:57 am

ive been hesitant to put an aftermarket head unit in because my car was broken into last year. but when i do, im gonna recess the head unit back like 3mm and put the stock hu faceplate for a flush fit
Geeks get it done, while Nerds whimper and call for mommie.
sydemoid
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5