[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - WTB: headunit
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

WTB: headunit

WTB: headunit

Postby zelahi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 am

Hi I am looking to buy a good head unit for around $100 to $150. I was wondering what you guys suggest or what you guys have for sale.

if it has navigation I wouldn't mind paying extra
1999 Toyota Solara- TRD Short Shift, TRD Rear and Frotn sway bar, and TRD Strut car, Stage 3 body kit and 12k HIDS.

Coming soon: Weapon R Dragon Intake, Custom exhaust or TRD Exhaust, and custom hood
zelahi
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ~SolaRaSpeed~ » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:00 pm

i'm not sure what you will get with nav for even $400, but PM Aotoyota and see if he still has his alpine for sale.

if you want a good double din look for a pioneer 8000bt, quite a few solara owners have them (including myself).
~SolaRaSpeed~
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Chinky420 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:20 pm

from crutchfield for about 150 you can get a pioneer deh4000ub, which is what i have

my review of the product is as follows:

interface: the central control knob controls ~90% of the stereo functions (eq, subs, repeat, shuffle, track fwd/rev, volume). this knob is kinda a bother, as you can't really skip ahead songs by rapidly clicking it fwd (you have to wait for the headunit to beep indicating that the track advanced before you can go again)...or you can hit a 'list' button, which will allow you to scroll through the list. the central knob is no longer used for volume at this point, and 'turning it up' will result in you scrolling foward through the list.

peripheries: usb/ipod hookup in rear (cable included for usb extension)
aux input in front
cd reads data discs (i'm not sure if it will also read DVD-R's, for the increased capacity discs).

headunit navigation: other than the single knob controlling almost everything, the head unit is fairly organized in how you interface with data cds, usb flash storage, or your ipod. it takes getting used to at first, but after about a year of having it, it isn't too terribly bad (it's just rough for anyone who wants to borrow my car....the controls are really esoteric).

remote: remote control is included, but really only useful for navigating the setup screens (audio controls, eq, loudness, etc)....most of the track selection is possible and feasible with the central control knob....

subwoofer/pre-amp speaker output:
i have two 12" pioneer subs, hooked up thru a power acoustic amp. the headunit can control the subwoofer settings fairly well. the headunit can setup for normal, reversed, or no subwoofers. also you can adjust the high/low pass freq to isolate the part of the sound spectrum that you want.
also, there are two pairs of pre-amp outputs....which is really a big plus if you are going to want to replace all your speakers with aftermarket.
all in all, there are 3 pre-amp outs...one pair for the subwoofer, and two pairs for additional speakers (front and rear). this allows for a lot of versitility in how you can setup your sound system.

am/fm radio controls are kinda whack, but i'm always on my ipod or a cd, so it doesn't really matter to me. if you listen to the radio alot, note the fact that there is no way to program individual stations, you can scan for all local stations in signal range to be programmed in, but it's kinda hit or miss. plus you can't re-order the stations to your preference.

bluetooth, satalite radio, hd radio: i don't know, i don't use them so i can't comment.

honestly, depending on what you're looking for, there are tons of headunits out there. get on crutchfield and start looking and comparing the features that you would be interested in.
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby zelahi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 pm

alrite thanks guys.

just curious how important is the headunit when playing songs. is it just for looks and how well it functions.

does it really improve sound quality, because I wanted to spend a little less on the stereo and dedicate that money to buying some good speakers such as the Pioneer PCS
1999 Toyota Solara- TRD Short Shift, TRD Rear and Frotn sway bar, and TRD Strut car, Stage 3 body kit and 12k HIDS.

Coming soon: Weapon R Dragon Intake, Custom exhaust or TRD Exhaust, and custom hood
zelahi
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby t3chnique » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:10 pm

headunit is really for looks and functions rather than sound quality IMO

a good, no frills HU can be had for 100-110

i'd rather spend money on quality speakers
Tony the Tiger wrote:FWD = king of the streets with unpredictable pavement and road conditions.
t3chnique
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ampreston85 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:44 pm

But sound quality is only as good as your source... so i would really recommend a good amp if your gonna skimp on the HU. I have a DEH-P80MP HU... It's top notch and it's a couple years old! More Wattage then any other HU I've seen. No amp, Alpine Components in the front, Ininity 6x9s in the rear and it really booms and hits hard. Nice clear sound too!
AMP'D - 99' Lara SE V6 ~In Progress~
ampreston85
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ~SolaRaSpeed~ » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 am

depending on the speakers you want you just might need an external amp. The best sound quality will be from external amps since they will produce a greater range of power and will allow for more crossover adjustments or even a sound processor. and while the factory spots for the tweeters are ok (where I have mine now) I can tell you that there is more sound to be had if they are aimed properly or even moved to a new location like the A-pillars.

so get a good headunit that has 3 sets of preouts (front,rear,sub) and if you ever want to change your speakers and put in amps, then you can.
~SolaRaSpeed~
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby zelahi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:09 pm

alrite i think i mite go with the jvc- kd300.

heres the specs on it:

http://www.frys.com/product/5791452?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG

zelahi
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5