[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Problem With Retractable Antenna
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Problem With Retractable Antenna

Problem With Retractable Antenna

Postby StevenHB13 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:20 pm

I previously replaced the antenna mast once. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the "nut" that holds the antenna to the car body.

It seems that I need to replace the mast (or the mast and motor) again. Until this weekend, the mast would rise only partially. In the winter, it would frequently not go down all the way.

I tried removing the mast using the same technique I used previously (I looked it up again on the web) but the motor didn't push the antenna mast out. I tried pulling on it but that didn't help - it actually made things worse. Now my car has priapism. The mast is extended most of the way but it doesn't go up or down when I turn the radio on / off (I can hear the motor for a few seconds if I listen carefully but there's no motion on the mast). I suspect that I've stripped the teeth on the plastic extenson on the antenna mast.

Do any of you have suggestions for how I might fix the mast?

If you think that it's not fixable, how do I go about replacing the antenna motor, too? I tried looking for a motor assembly but found things that seemed not to be exact replacements (with warnings about what might be involved in installation).

Thanks!
Boston, MA Area
2008 Solara SLE Convertible
StevenHB13
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby StevenHB13 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:56 am

Bumping in a semi-desparate attempt to get some response.
Boston, MA Area
StevenHB13
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Pogs » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 am

I was really confused when reading your post. I guess because only the convertables have a visable antenna. Im not sure how many of them have messed with the antenna either.
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby StevenHB13 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:45 am

I didn't realize that the coupes all have hidden antennas.

I have noticed that the Gen 2 convertibles all have fixed antennas instead of the automatic retractable ones. I suspect that Toyota found the retractables to be too much work.

I hear that Toyota is discontinuing the Solara convertible. That's too bad - it's a great car.
Boston, MA Area
StevenHB13
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby jimmm » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:14 am

I'm glad I don't have to worry with antennae any more. I can't find any place on my car body where I think one would be appropriate anyway.

2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby StevenHB13 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:22 pm

Okay, I solved the problem. For the record, here's how.

It turned out that the plastic cable that raises and lowers the antenna had broken - I assume when I was screwing with it. I pushed the antenna down as much as I could and then removed the motor assembly. I opened the motor and was able to remove the remains of the plastic cable. I was also able to get the mast removed (it took a lot of pulling). I replaced the motor and bought a new mast from a local Toyota dealer ($58.64 - seems awfully expensive for what it is but I was guaranteed to get the right thing and to get it same day). Installing the new mast was a piece of cake.

I should note that removing the motor assembly required removing the right hand (passenger-side) inside lining of the trunk, which also required that I remove the plastic panel behind the passenger-side taillights. A PITA but not excessively so.

Everything works right and no more priapism.
Boston, MA Area
StevenHB13
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5