[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Amplifier and subwoofer advice plz!!
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Amplifier and subwoofer advice plz!!

thx

Postby wooshkie90 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:58 am

thanks for all the feedback. im starting to realize my mistake, but hopefully soon, ill get that mono amp everyones been talkn bout. i will admit, i was so anxious to get it up and running, i jumped on the first good deal i saw. my first time with a system, only one way to go. are there any ways of still running what i have without blowing anything??? just a question.
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Chinky420 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:06 am

4awg wires were cheap at knukonceptz.com last time i checked (it's been a while though)....check the clearance section, they sell wire by the foot and it should be a pretty decent deal if they have anything on special.

to prevent blowing anything up? use an in-line fuse between the car battery and the amp. it's a relatively inexpensive peice that will keep you from overloading your amp.

btw, you may also want to start looking for a capacitor, to help prevent your electrical system from spiking everytime the bass hits. a 1 farad capacitor should be enough. this will help stabilize the electrical load that your sub uses.
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

reprase

Postby wooshkie90 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:42 pm

okay, what i meant was, when wiring the sub to the amp, is there a specific way to arrange or organize the wires to reduce the chance of destroying either??
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Chinky420 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:16 pm

that'll depend on the type of setup you want/have (2ohm, 4ohm, bridged, mono, etc)

that crutchfield diagram i saw is one way of doing it, but i didn't really pay attention to the specifics of your components, so i don't know if that's the optimal wiring method.

and to be honest, i paid someone to do it for me the first time, and since then all i've done is replicated what i saw, as i have moved the same subs into the other cars (my subs have outlasted two of my cars so far)

but if you use an in-line fuse like i said above, the fuse will blow before anything else has a chance to, once the fuse blows, there won't be any power going to the amp or the sub, so they can't get destroyed.
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

oh

Postby wooshkie90 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:53 pm

okay now i get you. ill definitely keep that in mind wen i hit the audio store. thx for the info bruh.
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SoSleek » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:41 am

Your ONLY option is to run at 8 OHM. You could run at 2 OHM which would give you 4x the power, but this WILL fry your amp as your amp IS NOT 2 ohm stable when bridged. The only way to run at 2 OHM would be to get a RCA splitter and split your right or left channel on the RCA's that run to your amp and then wire the voice coils in parallel. Just stick with 8 OHM wiring diagram until you get a different amp. This is your only safe bet.

BTW, I thought about it a little more and each of your voice coils will be receiving around 150 watts constant per voice coil wired with the Diagram I posted on pg. 1. You're system will sound very nice, but it won't get as loud as your expecting. You will have to pay close attention at first. Listen to your woofer. When the bass starts to distort you will want to turn the volume down about two notches and use that volume setting as the loudest you go. When woofers distort this is because they are underpowered and are drawing more constant current than the amp can provide. This is called clipping...

"Clipping is a form of waveform distortion that occurs when an amplifier is overdriven, which happens through attempts to increase the voltage or current beyond its maximum power capability. Driving an amplifier into clipping causes it to put out power in excess of its published ratings"

CLIPPING = BLOWN SH*T[/code]
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby r0w » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:37 am

personal experience for me, dont be cheap when spending money on audio! My system doesnt push much but its enough bump for me. I ran a fatter cables and like everyone else is telling you, have that fuse between the batt and your amp so the fuse blows and nothing else. spend a lil extra on good wires you wont regret it!
r0w
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:42 am

r0w wrote:personal experience for me, dont be cheap when spending money on audio! My system doesnt push much but its enough bump for me. I ran a fatter cables and like everyone else is telling you, have that fuse between the batt and your amp so the fuse blows and nothing else. spend a lil extra on good wires you wont regret it!

i agree i blew 3 amps until i learned, hence why i tried to help you out from making the same mistakes
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5