[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Looking for a good head unit
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Looking for a good head unit

Looking for a good head unit

Postby bigmitch » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Okay it's getting time to do a little Christmas shopping and looking to get a new head unit for my son for his '02 Solara. He has the JBL installed. Not looking to go crazy just looking for recommendations on a good head unit. What I'm looking for is preferably a double din with Ipod/Iphone capabilities and blue tooth that will work well with the current speakers and that would work with possible speaker and amp upgrades at a later date. Would like to keep it under $350. Have been doing shop browsing on crutchfields. Any info and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
bigmitch
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:29 pm

ALPINE...get the top one in your budget. If you are looking to power the speakers directly from the head unit get something with a high RMS power rating (watts). If you are eventually going to hook up aftermarket speakers to an amp you need to look at the pre amp outputs voltage. Anything 4v is good 6v is great. Any alpine in your $350 range will be a great option. I will take a look at their latest models when i have more time and possibly recommend a few.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby QuickSEV6 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 pm

SoSleek wrote:ALPINE...get the top one in your budget. If you are looking to power the speakers directly from the head unit get something with a high RMS power rating (watts). If you are eventually going to hook up aftermarket speakers to an amp you need to look at the pre amp outputs voltage. Anything 4v is good 6v is great. Any alpine in your $350 range will be a great option. I will take a look at their latest models when i have more time and possibly recommend a few.

X2

Alpine makes a good product
QuickSEV6
Solara Driver Extraordinaire
Solara Driver Extraordinaire

Postby trdkamuri51o » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:56 am

i guess in the 7 years since ive owned anything from alpine their quality has improved.. they had the worst and i mean worse headunits EVER when it comes to quality

ive never had a single company have as many failure rates as alpine
5 and i repeat a total of 5 alpine products 2 amps 3 head units FAILED within 2 years...

we are talkin cd skips or non loads (on new cds not burns), horrible radio reception, screens not working at all half the time, buttons falling off...

idk how the heck people still suggest that POS company... :agrue:
need wheels? www.memoryfab.com - ask for david

-1JZ Bozo Camry = Cooler than Penguin crap in January on the face of Pluto.
trdkamuri51o
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby SoSleek » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:59 am

It's been 7 years? Why don't you give them another shot? I've owned 4 alpine head units in the past 5 or so years. I haven't ever had any issue other then them getting jacked.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby LatinDragonXJC » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:03 am

I'ma Pioneer guy, great bang for the buck. And very reliable and clear.
LatinDragonXJC
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Location: Chilltown,Jersey City, New Jersey, United States, North America, Earth, Galaxy, Aliens Belly Button

Postby Taido » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:18 am

LatinDragonXJC wrote:I'ma Pioneer guy, great bang for the buck. And very reliable and clear.

x2
'06 Black Cherry Pearl tC inherited the headunit and subs so far...
'04 2AZ-FE Lunar Mist Metallic Solara SE (Totaled)
Taido
Audiophiliac
Audiophiliac

Postby JamesT » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 am

I like Alpine. For what it's worth, Alpine is the only company authorized to use Ipod Software. Meaning they have the fastest and best synching with Ipods.
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT
Shift Boot Master Crafter
Shift Boot Master Crafter

Postby MisterTedster » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:38 pm

I personally use a pioneer deh-p6000ub.
It has excellent usb support, including iPod and iPhone, and amazing sound quality.
It also has 3 sets of 4V preamps to add amps later on.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Pioneer for value and good feel.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby indy04 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:06 pm

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad94 ... G_2141.jpg Here is mine got it for 300 brand new on sale. works very well with my iphone even transfers contacts into the system and has no connection problems
indy04
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby indy04 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:14 pm

whoops mine is a gen 2 sorry but still a very good head unit
indy04
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby bigmitch » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:51 pm

indy04 wrote:http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad94/maschaefer93/IMG_2141.jpg Here is mine got it for 300 brand new on sale. works very well with my iphone even transfers contacts into the system and has no connection problems

Notice it's a Pioneer but can't make out the model. Can you please let me know what model it is and where did you purchase it at thanks.

Scott
bigmitch
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5