[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - help with 6.5" speaker installation
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

help with 6.5" speaker installation

help with 6.5" speaker installation

Postby freshdenamufcka » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:56 pm

i just upgraded my stock jbl speakers to a pair of alpine sps-600. it claims to fit in 6 1/4 opening but when i tried using their supplied bracket, they dont seem to fit. there are 3 holes with white tabs. so i'd like to know what is the proper way to install 6.5 speakers in there? do i have to buy a diff bracket? right now i have the speakers mounted to the bare metal of the door panel which i think is sort of affecting the sound quality. the factory jbl speakers were sealed off with foam and stuff and i'd like to do the same thing. any help is appreciated. thanks
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 am

There are a couple of ways you can go about this. You can find speaker adapters on ebay, like these http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Speaker-Adapters- ... 48370f02d6
In the past, I've found that sometimes adapter rings that sellers may claim to fit our cars may have a hole that is out of place and hence need to be re-drilled, though in my case this was with the rear 6x9 speakers.

You can use mdf rings and custom drill holes in them. Most audio guys seem to prefer this route. If you want even better sound, some folks like to mold some modeling clay around this mdf ring.

You can also just use extruded butyl rope that auto part places sell to mount windshields to put between the speaker and the door itself. I believe there are places online that sell the extruded butyl rope specifically for audio applications, but the ones to mount windshields are thicker and are otherwise the same.

Finally you can just use the original speaker ring. Use a dremel or some kind of cutting tool to cut out that little plate that extrudes into the door from the stock ring and drill the necessary holes to fit your particular speaker. If you use self-tapping screws, drilling probably won't be necessary.

Good luck with your system! The alpine coaxials are very nice-sounding for the money.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby freshdenamufcka » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:49 am

thx ted! thats exactly what i was looking for!
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5