[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Subwoofer box
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Subwoofer box

Subwoofer box

Postby wooshkie90 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:14 pm

Just wanted to get opinions on this. How much difference would a different style box have on the bass?? Right now, I have walmart Scosche box. Not the best, but it works. I went to an audio store, and I saw the boxes there. My box as a slanted back, while the boxes i always see are perfect cubed. Do yall think its worth the 60 bucks??
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:36 pm

Different box shapes are available for different reasons. For example, wedged tend to be for trucks. The only thing you need to worry about is the following

1. Internal volume best suited for your subs
2. ported, sealed, or bandpass (sealed is usually the way to go)
3. Whether it fits in your trunk
4. Appropriate size for your subs
5. Carpet color if that matters to you

In short, shape doesn't necessarily matter, or else no one would ever make custom sub boxes that can molds to their trunk.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:37 pm

the bigger the box (generally) the better. bigger means more air flow which means more bass.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby corlon » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:43 am

there might be something called the golden angle. the proper angle needed to get the least amount on cancellation inside the box.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:20 am

bigger doesnt mean better. really depends on the sub.

bigger may lead to cancellation inside of the box.

typically..

sealed = sq
ported = big bass.

but if you find the right dimensions or a good installer
they can make a ported sound good and loud. rare but
some of the old skoolers will know how to.

and its the golden ratio, dont think ive ever seen any box
that matches to what it is suppose to be. technically it
is true but as I was taught..

judge with your ears, not numbers.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wooshkie90 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:10 am

okay, thanx for all the feedback but let me explain my situation more clearly. Its my first setup so all my stuff is the lowest of the low quality. lol. I have a DHD NTX 6612 running on about 400 watts RMS. From yall's experience, is it worth putting this in a ported box, or should I just save up and get a quality subwoofer?? Im thinkin a kicker would be enough. Im not the one to try and get a system that wakes people in their houses, but I want something noticeable. My 12 right now hits pretty good, but Im tryna get more of a thump when the bass hits. ( I listen to hip hop). please leave any advice. trust me, everything counts.
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:06 pm

Personally, if I were on a strict budget, I'd try to go for a decent 12" sub with a perfectly-sized SEALED box. The default sub of choice is usually the Alpine type-R, or type-S.

Luckily for you, you don't necessarily need an audiophile quality amp to power your subs. As long as it puts out the power, any distortion would not be detectable to your ears. Take this with a grain of salt though, too much distortion will blow out your sub.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:58 am

how much is a strict budget? and what dont you like about it now?
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wooshkie90 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:49 am

Well its good enough for the meantime, but I want something that I can really feel in my chest. Do yall think if I got another 12 and a dual 12 box my 840 watt amp can push em enough?? Or should I look towards a better amp?? Also thinkin if dynamat will make a noticeable difference??
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:34 am

If you have money to dynamat, then I'd suggest you craigslist the subs and amp and start anew. However, the few reviews I did find on your sub suggest that they are decent, but a new amp is a great place to start. A Kenwood 9104D can be had on ebay for a very good price and packs plenty of power for your subs, and its 1-ohm stable.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:44 am

id save some money and do it the right way..

just do it right the first time!
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wooshkie90 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:34 am

okay im convinced. Beginning project "save money". hopeflly ill get A little bonus with christmas money. lol. i gota quit smokin bud tho kuz i kno ima spend it before i save it up. lol. Im thinking about just gettin a big 15 inch sub, somewhere around 1000 watts max. I want about 600 watts rms. anyone know what sub is the best quality for the best price??
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5