[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - need adapters that actually fit!
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

need adapters that actually fit!

need adapters that actually fit!

Postby freshdenamufcka » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:23 pm

i spent the whole day trying to install my 4 speakers and amp only to find out that the adapter that i bought for my 6.5's still dont fit. i also find out that my 6x9's also need an adapter! so annoying! anyways i need brackets that will fit for sure, i dont want to have to custom drill anything..what would be the purpose of buying an adapter then?

my speakers are alpine type-s sps-600/sps-609

i purchased this adapter for my 6.5's but they still dont fit...anyone else have this problem? i thought maybe they sent me the wrong one or something. thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Speaker-Adapters- ... 48370f02d6
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:47 pm

I just used the stock speaker rings and put a layer of extruded butyl rope, like the ones used to mount windshields, between the metal of the door and the speaker ring.

For the 6x9 I also bought the speaker ring adapters on ebay, but that required that I drill one hole in each one. It's not much trouble and it's VERY easy to drill through.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby freshdenamufcka » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:55 pm

hey ted, did you have to drill new holes through the door panel for the front two speakers?
for the 6x9's i noticed there are only 3 factory holes. so u drilled a 4th hole thru the metal part of the rear deck too? thanks
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 pm

I did not drill into the rear deck. There are the 6x9 adapters on ebay that say they are for the 1 and 1.5 gen solaras with 3 holes but the one hole that faces towards the middle of the deck is slightly misplaced and I had to drill into the adapter rather than the rear deck itself.

As for the front speakers, no, I did not drill into the door panel. If the holes in the speaker ring are not lining up with the speaker for you, I would suggest short, self-tapping wood screws to attach your speakers to the speaker rings.
Last edited by MisterTedster on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SleeperSolara » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 pm

For the rears i have Alpine Type S, and i made some MDF mounts for rear speakers.
The fronts, i Alpine Type S, but i'm usin' the OEM front speaker mounts right now. I need to make some MDF speaker mounts for my front though.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby MisterTedster » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:43 pm

SleeperSolara wrote:For the rears i have Alpine Type S, and i made some MDF mounts for rear speakers.
The fronts, i Alpine Type S, but i'm usin' the OEM front speaker mounts right now. I need to make some MDF speaker mounts for my front though.

How thick are you making your mdf speaker mounts? There's not a lot of clearance between the metal frame of the door and the grill of the interior door panel.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SleeperSolara » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:20 am

MisterTedster wrote:
SleeperSolara wrote:For the rears i have Alpine Type S, and i made some MDF mounts for rear speakers.

How thick are you making your mdf speaker mounts? There's not a lot of clearance between the metal frame of the door and the grill of the interior door panel.

3/4 MDF should be fine i think.
I mean 1/2 MDF will work too.

When i made my rear speaker mounts, i made where the speaker mounts to, recessed.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby MisterTedster » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:15 am

SleeperSolara wrote:
MisterTedster wrote:

3/4 MDF should be fine i think.
I mean 1/2 MDF will work too.

When i made my rear speaker mounts, i made where the speaker mounts to, recessed.

Oh that would definitely give much better sound than the stock rings. I've also heard of people using modeling clay to line around the mdf rings. Let me know how that goes, I will try it myself it all goes well.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ~SolaRaSpeed~ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:32 pm

I found that 1/2" worked best for the front speakers in the door panel. Modeling clay is great for adding mass to the baffle by putting it between door and baffle ring and between the speaker and baffle. I also put some around the wood. Use non-hardening modeling clay so that you can remove it later on if needed (although it does dry out over time). Adding sound deadening (dynamat type stuff) also makes a difference.
~SolaRaSpeed~
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby freshdenamufcka » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 am

hey guys i ended up using the stock brackets for the rear speakers. they actually fit right over the 6x9's. then i used the supplied template to drill the holes. also had to cut the screws attaching the speaker to the bracket with dremel in order to get the bracket to sit somewhat flat on the mounting surface of the deck. turned out pretty good.

for the front speakers i used the ebay ones. i had to re-drill the two bottom holes though. the adapter is way too big though the door panel is somewhat lifted on the side facing the door hinge. but the door still closes so its no biggy, im gonna be replacing them with some mdf ones

hey sleeper, do you have a pic of your install. i wanna know how im gonna mount the mdf ring to the door panel since the three mounting holes are like triangle shaped. did you have to drill any holes thru the panel?
freshdenamufcka
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Pogs » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Homemade mdf mounts is what I did for all my new speakers. Heres my 6x9
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby beanslicer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:28 pm

hey guys, i had similar issues as the poster, i got my mounts from ebay today (same ones as he ordered). the two problems were:
1. the mounts didnt exactly fit the holes in the car.
2. the mounts were raised, so the door panel did not fit once they were mounted
now, i dont have any tools beyond the most basic (no drill or dremel)
so what i did was: since the mounts were made of a soft plastic material, i heated a nail and put it through where i determined i need the new holes, i then enlarged those holes with a philips screw driver, using it like a drill.
this fixed the first issue.
now to make it clear the door panel, since the mounts were made of two parts: the main ring, and a secondary raised ring, i removed the secondary ring and using the same method as before drilled new holes to mount the speaker in the main ring. granted this took me the better part of an hour to figure out, and another hour or so to fix all the parts so that everything works together, but the end result came out awesome... i wish i took pictures so that it was easier to explain, ill probobly have to go through similar steps when putting in my rear speakers in a couple days, so ill try to take pictures then.
i also put in a new stereo, and that was a breeze, highly recommended, the sound quality is so much better.
beanslicer
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5