[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Mounting GPS and Radar Detector
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Mounting GPS and Radar Detector

Mounting GPS and Radar Detector

Postby 2ksev6 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:41 pm

What's up y'all?

I've determined it's going to be cheaper to drive through speed trap land with a radar detector than pay another ticket or get a point on my record, so I've decided that I'll probably get the Valentine One radar detector.

Now, I already have a Garmin GPS on a sandbag mount that I just toss in my console when I park somewhere to not attract thieves. I thought about stealth mounting a radar detector so I don't have to worry about it, but then it wouldn't be able to see, basically, so it needs to be out kind of like the GPS is.

I've already got a GPS I position and an mp3 player I plug in when I start driving, and the way it's set up it goes fairly quick.

I'd like to keep device setup when getting in and out of my car to a minimum and still add a radar detector to the mix.

Anyone else have this problem or heard of how to solve it?
TRD shifter, TRD springs, KYB struts and rear strut mounts, Stillen Cross Drilled and Slotted Brakes and pads, Whiteline RSB, tint, and a decent stereo, 17x8 TSW Kyalami rims on Hankook tires
2ksev6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solarizona » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:25 pm

You could just slow down :drinking:
TRD Bodykit, Eibach, Tokico, BBS, OBX headers/y-pipe, Custom 2.5" Magnaflow/Dynomax, PowerStop, Goodridge, AFE.
Solarizona
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Ruski » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:09 pm

V1 is the way to go man !!
Valentine One, with Custom 350z Rear view mirror mount.

the radar has since moved i got a concealed display with the radar and now mounted radar at the top of the windshield
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby corlon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:19 pm

go to the v1 website and see how bad the camry windshield tint is rated. i'd assume the solara is just as bad.

try to keep the radar out of the factory windshield tint.

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt2.asp
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Black line doesn't effect it the radar I've tested it in multiple areas and works just the same
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 2ksev6 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:54 am

So what's 350z about your mount? Is that what the mount you ordered was made for? And customizing means slightly modified to fit? Or something else?

I was actually going to ask about the tint at the top of the window as well. It does appear from the chart provided that you may lose some range, but how much is the question. If this thing were to see halfway around the globe, and we only got 6% of that, that'd be just fine for our needs.

I've gotta figure that tint part out, because then I could just leave it up there and it'd be hidden, which is convenient. Probably could test it pretty well since there's a consistent trap on my way to work.

Do you have any more photos? Are you using a cigarette lighter for power or a direct line? How are you hiding your wires?
TRD shifter, TRD springs, KYB struts and rear strut mounts, Stillen Cross Drilled and Slotted Brakes and pads, Whiteline RSB, tint, and a decent stereo, 17x8 TSW Kyalami rims on Hankook tires
2ksev6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Ruski » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:08 am

Ok so when the mount was first created it was made for the 350z and no its not custom fit , they now have mounts that have different diameters to fit the proper mirror size. I have had my radar up on the black line for about 6 months now, my buddies have it in same spots in a variety of cars no one has had any effects on signal strength (TL-s,Accord,G37,Solara,Lexus Rs including my dads sienna) its up to you where you mount it . im speaking from experience I own the radar and have had it for well over 2 years . Wire hiding: when i had the mount the wire was tapped into my cigarette since my mirror is not original to the car im gaining power for both from the cigarette lighter. Cord runs along the top of the windshield and headliner you can pull the headliner back just enough to get the cord back there. and down the pillar under the steering and into the center console. ill get you pics later today its 4 am currently in MD
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Ruski » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:44 pm

heres my V1 set up currently :
Concealed display on the steering wheel column
And radar mount on passenger
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby sahuddleston » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:35 pm

i think i would just slow down.
2012 Ford Shelby GT500
2013 Hyundai Genesis 4.6

2002 Toyota Solara SE - First Turbo 2AZ-FE
sahuddleston
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ~SolaRaSpeed~ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm

to bad it can't truly warn you of laser/lidar, but hopefully that's not why you're buying it. The passport 9500 are nice too.
~SolaRaSpeed~
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Ruski » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:16 pm

v1s have laser detection .. where are you getting your information from ^^
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ~SolaRaSpeed~ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:32 pm

my point is that it can detect it only if it bounces off an already tagged car ahead of you, not if your first in line because by then it is too late
~SolaRaSpeed~
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 2ksev6 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:27 am

sahuddleston wrote:i think i would just slow down.

I'll slow down when it beeps.

Hey Ruski, thanks for posting the pics, that's really cool of you. I looked at my car today and I think it'll be fairly well hidden, though still visible, particularly with the suction cups, but there's only one way to find out. I'm assuming you keep it on the passenger side because that's where the traps are most likely to be.

@SolaRaSpeed - Do you feel the 9500 has better laser detection? Laser is primarily what I'm worried about.

There's a consistent speed trap between the highway and my office and I know for a fact they're using laser because I read it off the cop's laser gun. Since I know that one's there they haven't gotten me and probably won't (great as a testing resource though), but another one did, and since a detector costs the same as a ticket, then why not?

I figure that if a detector can find laser really well then they probably didn't skimp on the radar part.
2ksev6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kingkakyle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 am

~SolaRaSpeed~ wrote:my point is that it can detect it only if it bounces off an already tagged car ahead of you, not if your first in line because by then it is too late

isn't that with any detector though?
the reason y radar is easier to detect is because it bounces everywhere
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cj145 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:24 am

I have owned both a valentine one and a passport 9500ix. They both have lidar detection and really there is almost no point for them to have it. On back roads the lidar sensor won't even go off if they shoot you close enough (not hitting the windshield at all). On the highway it will go off as you get hit (you are already tagged) or if you are really lucky as a reflection off a car in front of you. Really you can't count on any windshield mount detector to stop you from getting lidar tickets. If you want to stop lidar tickets you need a good high quality installed lidar jammer. Which will run you $500-700+.
cj145
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5