[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Looking for a NEW stereo, which of these are good?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Looking for a NEW stereo, which of these are good?

Looking for a NEW stereo, which of these are good?

Postby SolaraMan7890 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new stereo. I don't know much about the stock stereo but I'm sure many of you do. The reason why I need a new one is because I want an AUX jack so I can use my ipod... I found a few online that are cheap, but want to know that my sound quality wont get robbed in buying something worse than what I have now....

Take a look please....

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat. ... =price_asc

Thanks.
2000 SE.
SolaraMan7890
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoLarry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:36 pm

I'm not sure if this will work with a gen 1 or not, but this may be an option: http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Lexus-iPod-iPhone-adapter-interface-xcarlink_W0QQitemZ180428655005QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item2a0262c99d

I bought another model that they sell to play via USB or line-in, I'm very happy with it in my Gen 2, I posted a tutorial on the install here: http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=47913
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraMan7890 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 pm

What does that link up to? I don't have a CD changer in my car lol.
2000 SE.
SolaraMan7890
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gasolara2002 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:48 pm

honestly if you just want to listen to your ipod just buy a cassette tape adaptor. You are basically going to be wasting your money. Ipod intergration is better sound quality because it connects to your ipod's charging port and it is filtered out from there to produce nice sound. You might need to look a some more units. A new stereo just for an AUX jack is not worth $120 plus. When you can get the same sound from a cassette tape adaptor for about 10 dollars.
White 02 Solara with retrofit; White 97 Land Cruiser with mods coming.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2398488
gasolara2002
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraMan7890 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:53 pm

gasolara2002 wrote:honestly if you just want to listen to your ipod just buy a cassette tape adaptor. You are basically going to be wasting your money. Ipod intergration is better sound quality because it connects to your ipod's charging port and it is filtered out from there to produce nice sound. You might need to look a some more units. A new stereo just for an AUX jack is not worth $120 plus. When you can get the same sound from a cassette tape adaptor for about 10 dollars.

I completely agree. One problem. My cassette deck is broken. Any time ANY cassette is inserted it (the cassette deck) begins making a noise when the cassette is being played. The noise is annoying and unless I blast the volume, it can be heard at all times.
2000 SE.
SolaraMan7890
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gasolara2002 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:59 pm

SolaraMan7890 wrote:
gasolara2002 wrote:honestly if you just want to listen to your ipod just buy a cassette tape adaptor. You are basically going to be wasting your money. Ipod intergration is better sound quality because it connects to your ipod's charging port and it is filtered out from there to produce nice sound. You might need to look a some more units. A new stereo just for an AUX jack is not worth $120 plus. When you can get the same sound from a cassette tape adaptor for about 10 dollars.

I completely agree. One problem. My cassette deck is broken. Any time ANY cassette is inserted it (the cassette deck) begins making a noise when the cassette is being played. The noise is annoying and unless I blast the volume, it can be heard at all times.

Well in that case just spend a little more and get a radio with ipod intergration. I would suggest a single din so that way you can modify a little radio pocket kit to run your ipod cord too and you can put it in the pocket and be secure your ipod is not going to be all over the car. I did that in my sister's lexus and she bought a case and put velcro inside the pocket and on the back her case so she can keep her ipod secure inside the pocket. I suggest you do that. It will be well worth your money to play music, keep your ipod charged, and to have great music quality.

gasolara2002
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraMan7890 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:14 pm

^^^^ Any suggestions to what single din (or double din) stereos are equal to or better than our stock stereo? I do not want to buy something that's worse.
2000 SE.
SolaraMan7890
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoLarry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:16 pm

SolaraMan7890 wrote:What does that link up to? I don't have a CD changer in my car lol.

mine didn't have a CD changer either, but all of the Gen 2 radios do have a CD changer port on the back side of the radio, my unit plugs in where the CD changer would be
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraMan7890 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:18 pm

SoLarry wrote:
SolaraMan7890 wrote:What does that link up to? I don't have a CD changer in my car lol.

mine didn't have a CD changer either, but all of the Gen 2 radios do have a CD changer port on the back side of the radio, my unit plugs in where the CD changer would be

I doubt that the Gen 1 has it, but if anyone can confirm that the single cd deck has the CD changer port, id def look into it.
2000 SE.
SolaraMan7890
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraMan7890 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Would this fit/hook up to the Gen 1?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_844 ... D8265.html
2000 SE.
SolaraMan7890
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gasolara2002 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:41 pm

yes it would but i have no idea about the quality of Dual audio equipment. I guess you like the double din look. I pick out the best bang for your buck in my opinion. I'm even interested to be honest.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_122 ... 800BT.html

gasolara2002
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraMan7890 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:48 pm

gasolara2002 wrote:yes it would but i have no idea about the quality of Dual audio equipment. I guess you like the double din look. I pick out the best bang for your buck in my opinion. I'm even interested to be honest.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_122 ... 800BT.html

Whats the difference between that one and the sony:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_186 ... T77UI.html

lol if it doesn't have a DVD interface, I'm not looking to spend much more than $100 on it. lol

Yea, I agree, Dual audio equipment sounds like complete BS to me. But it's $200 that gives you a DVD interface.

I just talked to my mechanic and he said the Watt output of the HU doesn't really matter (in comparison to the stock unit) It's hard to get worse than what the stock unit already is. So in that case, I don't think that Dual audio would be much worse than Toyota brand HU.
2000 SE.
SolaraMan7890
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraMan7890 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:25 pm

2000 SE.
SolaraMan7890
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby stringbean » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Dual is a walmart owned brand, they use to be good back in the day but today they are junk! I own a JVC KW-AVX810 and it works with ipod perfectly but not ipod touch or iphone so beware also mines discontinued now but its amazing! sounds good too but i have all my speakers running of amps which everyone should do! Makes the sound quality double! anyways stick to a name brand if possible,this is the lowest i would go for a 2din http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_122 ... 800BT.html
for a single din receiver i recommend the Alpine CDA-9887 or anything close to it but in the CDA series! trust me its worth the money, they are easy to use, have exclusive licensing with apple for the ipod and controls and alpine sounds good! you wont regret spending a little more money on a receiver so go for a budget of 300 to 450 with tax and you'll be happy! :)
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby stringbean » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:33 pm

if only i had posted a few minutes before you! bahahaha! sorry but that dual receiver you bought does not look like it should be worth 699 retail! and they can give you a instant savings of 470 and sell it for 230 because its only worth 230 or less. But well see when you get it
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5