[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - New door speakers
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

New door speakers

New door speakers

Postby vSolara » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I have a Pioneer DEH-2100IB headunit (18W RMS, 50W Peak) with stock JBL speakers. I was considering replacing the door speakers, perhaps with Alpine SPS-600 ( http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS600/ ... l=N&tp=105 ). How much better would these sound compared to the stock JBLs? I'm looking for something with good bass response, so any other speaker recommendations would be good.

I would also replace the rear deck speakers, but one of my back seats doesn't fold down (I guess the mechanism broke, it is set in the unlock position) so I won't be able to do that.
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Tinted Windows, Pioneer DEH-2100IB, Pioneer Door Speakers, Custom DIN voltmeter/switchboard, interior accent LED strips
vSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 pm

You may not realize it, but you're asking a very loaded question.

Firstly, you cannot expect punchy midbass and great mid-range while only running on the power from the headunit. Hence, you would need an external amplifier.

Secondly, I would go with a component set rather than coaxials, it just sounds better. With a component set, you can even mount the tweeter in the stock location

Thirdly, for good sound and bass, installation is 90% of the equation, ie. sound deadening doors and sealing that big hole in the door.

Fourth-ly(?), do not worry about the rear deck. The ideal soundstage for a vehicle is one that is in the front, not all around. And if you do want to have the rear for fill, then the stock speakers are fine.

So you may be wondering, what component set would be good and won't break the bank? I personally like the Sony XS-GTX1620s, which are GREAT for the money. You can get them for a good price at Sonicelectronix.com

HOWEVER, you need an amp. And really, if you want bass, that's what you get a subwoofer for.

These are only the basics, if you want even better sound, then that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby stringbean » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:19 pm

i second that motion that was very well said by MisterTedster a new amp with components are a must and first!

Instillation is also KEY!

i prefer the for a higher price the http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_130T ... =106&avf=N

and for a lower price

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFCP708 ... =106&avf=N

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065S60/Bos ... =106&avf=N

all three are good even the sony's ^^ but the pioneer's will kick the crap outta any of the lower price ones, my friend has a pair, they sound great! i almost baught a pair but i got mine 50% off thats why, hope this helps! GET AN AMP though! lol :) have fun shopping! :D

Jared :fadein:
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby vSolara » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks a lot for your replies. How would I mount the tweeters?
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Tinted Windows, Pioneer DEH-2100IB, Pioneer Door Speakers, Custom DIN voltmeter/switchboard, interior accent LED strips
vSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby no_escape » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:34 pm

I prefer Boston Acoustics. However That was with a full system. Bostons do great with the highs and mids for cabin speakers. Then I let the subs do the rest.

The tweeters should be visible near the door handle.
SC 4psi - 305cc - Jims Fuel Upgrade - AFC NEO - 190 Walbro - Tokico/Eibach - Short Throw Shifter - FTB - RSB - K&N Filter - Greddy Evo II catback
no_escape
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MisterTedster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:50 pm

vSolara wrote:Thanks a lot for your replies. How would I mount the tweeters?

That, sir, depends on a lot of factors. If you're ridiculously lucky, it'll fit in the stock locations just behind the grills. If you're even more lucky it'll have the capability to be screwed into the stock tweeter mounts. If worse comes to worst, you can mount them in the sail panels. If you resort to this, I can elaborate a couple of different ways I have done that. However, any method you do will end up modifying your sail panels, and it will be irreversible.

edit: a tweeter I have used that fits behind the grills of the stock tweeter locations are the polk db1000 tweeters. They sound good and they can just be wedged between the mount and the grill. They just sit there just fine without being screwed in as they do not have any screw holes.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5