[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Amp wiring / Line output converter Help
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Amp wiring / Line output converter Help

Amp wiring / Line output converter Help

Postby Prophett1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:58 am

2002 Solara drop...JBL amp set up. I am attempting to connect a line output converter so that i can hook up my amp and sub. i understand that the LOC needs to be hooked up to a set of left and right speaker channels. My question is, can this LOC be hooked up to the Subwoofer speaker channels? If so, the harness that connects directly to the sub has 4 speaker wires. Those speaker wires lead to another harness that has Yellow, black, red and green wires that connect directly to the sub itself. Can my LOC be connected to these 4 wires? Is this the proper connection for the LOC?

In addition, I have the Main Power line connected directly to the battery and into my amp. I have the ground hooked up to the chasis. Where can I tap into the switched line on this car? Is there a switched line that I can tap into at the subwoofer site? or do i have to run a line to the dash and tap into it somewhere at that location? If soo, where is the most accessible switched line to tap into?
Prophett1
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby unbalancedwood » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:20 am

...seems to be that you are a 'noob' when it comes to hooking up an amp/system. So a word to the wise as I use to be one too is...read up on it a little before you start messing with electrical (reminds me of jakes disaster with his Solars electrical)...

But anyways. The easiest thing to hook up the LOC (in the first place...if you HAVE to use and dont want to upgrade a HU which you can find on Craigslist for under $50...as to where I found my Panasonic). You can tap into the rear speaker deck (6x9s), then plug the L&R/White&Red plugs into your aftermarket amp of choice, then you want to figure out how to wire your sub since it sounds like you have a 'Dual Channel' sub, which means depending on its wiring, youd want to get it right so you dont drop the OHMs too low for you amp to handle, or to high that you wouldn't get any sound.

Once you figure that out you'd hook the Sub to the Amp.

When you say you have the amp hooked up do you mean you have the amp wired, are you using the proper gauge wire, connected directly to your battery using a fuse block within 18" from your battery??

For the amp turn on lead, use at least 16gauge wire and connect to the red wire behind the stock head unit...
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Prophett1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks for posting a reply..I appreciate the assistance.
Noob contingent on the application. I have extensive knowledge with respect to connecting amplifiers with aftermarket HU on classic car applications. However, I am a big noob with regards to the Toyota solara electronic wiring.

With that said, I did some reading prior to posting the question and I did see that the 6x9 speaker outputs were suggested a couple of times however, I wanted to know if it was possible to get the output from the stock subwoofer harness as opposed to tapping into the 6x9s. ( I confirmed this as i tapped into the sub woofer line...definitely easier than the 6x9 splice)

What I mean by hooked up is that I have all the proper connections made with the exception of the amp turn-on wire. I want to make this install as simple as possible and if I can avoid taking out the factory head unit just to get into the cigarette lighter, then it would be a good day. If I have to remove the HU then I have no chioce, however, If I can tap into another accessory wire somewhere other than the dash...possibly near the exposed factory subwoofer then that would be less of a pain in the a$$
Prophett1
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby stringbean » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:48 am

Did your Solara have the upgraded JBL sound system then it should have a separate amp and a ignition wire to turn that on, should be no problem taping into that...

if not then the next easiest wire i think near the trunk would have to be .... actually right now i cant think of one, you may have to run to the cig lighter unfortunately ...

good luck
stringbean
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Prophett1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:33 pm

now that you mention it...there is an amp behind the glove compartment. much easier to tap that then the cig lighter.

I will try that later this evening...as it stands, I tapped into a live wire and just mickey-moused a kill switch to power my amp...not the best way. =/

thanks for the post
Prophett1
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5