[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Need good stereo shop in central LA, amp cutting out
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Need good stereo shop in central LA, amp cutting out

Need good stereo shop in central LA, amp cutting out

Postby 2ksev6 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:06 pm

Hey guys, first off, I need a good stereo shop in LA. If someone knows of a good one I'm near Glendale.

For anyone down to help troubleshoot:

The reason I need it is because I've installed an amp in my car and it's cutting out. I replaced the previous amp I had that had been damaged by over packing the trunk for a move. So basically I unplugged the old one, plugged the new one in. It's an Eclipse EA4200, a 4 channel class D powering the interior speakers. Speakers are 4ohm, MB quart in the back, Orions in the front. I also have a powered sub tube that I got recently, but that's not a problem. Nakamichi head unit.

The Eclipse amp cuts out at random.
-will cut out on smooth roads or rough.
- sometimes road bumps may set it off, maybe, but it happens even when parked.
- apparently random
- appears to completely power off amp for :30-1:00
- warm to touch, but within normal range. Not hot.
- sometimes the sub cuts out with it, sometimes the interior speakers cut out and the sub keeps playing.
- original wiring done by pros, who taught me a lot along w/ my friends
- my last amp was 5 channel. The sub channel rarely worked, and the interior speakers had a lot of static, but didn't cut out.
- I just replaced the amp w/ one the dealer sent me as a replacement, it's doing the same thing. We both thought it was the amp after I checked it.

I've checked:
- ground is fine. I redid the ground when I added the sub. There's an extra ground for another seatmounted amp since I used to have 2, so since the tube is in I have 3 grounds, 2 amps, 1 loose one that's taped down so as not to ground out.
- power cable is fine, fuse looks a little old, but not blown. Goes to distribution block, then to both amps.
-traced remote wire, it was actually made of 3 parts soldered together, it's intact though. And solid. I took pics. Good connections.
- the speakers ohm reading on the multimeter are 4.8 ohm. I measured by pulling the wires from the amp and measuring there, no power through them. Some slight variance up to 5.2, but pretty much 4.8.

Conclusions
- this is going to eat up even more time and probably money
- it's unlikely that both amps are bad, right? I've read literally 0 bad commments.
-
TRD shifter, TRD springs, KYB struts and rear strut mounts, Stillen Cross Drilled and Slotted Brakes and pads, Whiteline RSB, tint, and a decent stereo, 17x8 TSW Kyalami rims on Hankook tires
2ksev6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Sat May 01, 2010 12:29 am

Have you checked the preouts on the head unit? It seems to be last thing you haven't checked.
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 2ksev6 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:03 pm

What do you mean exactly? The RCAs or the wiring harness?
TRD shifter, TRD springs, KYB struts and rear strut mounts, Stillen Cross Drilled and Slotted Brakes and pads, Whiteline RSB, tint, and a decent stereo, 17x8 TSW Kyalami rims on Hankook tires
2ksev6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TLMNICK » Sat May 01, 2010 7:30 pm

It's likely that your amps are clipping. When you check with the ohm meter, they should read NO MORE than 4 ohms. It is likely that somewhere along those speaker lines, there is resistance, and it's causing the amps to freak out.

Also, if you're running two amps, then you should have 4-gauge cable running as primary (not 8-gauge)
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Need good stereo shop in central LA, amp cutting out

Postby 2ksev6 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Update: Well I had the amp replaced with another one. It has so far been entirely reliable except for the first day I replaced it when it cut out like the last one once or twice, and it hasn't ever since. Could've been something touching somewhere on both that stopped, maybe there's something better with the new one. I don't think I'll ever know, but I'm glad it's working.
2ksev6
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5